Where do you place your equipment???

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Out of interest where do you place your system?

At most shows, you almost always have the equipment between and behind the speakers. Against this I have read, that you are better off having your system set up to the side as it is less affected by feedback acoustics etc...

Anyway please let me know what your findings are

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Out of interest where do you place your system?

At most shows, you almost always have the equipment between and behind the speakers. Against this I have read, that you are better off having your system set up to the side as it is less affected by feedback acoustics etc...

Anyway please let me know what your findings are

for myself, my gear is mid-wall along the side. only speakers and amplifiers in front.

I would say that feedback is similar objectively both between the speakers and along the side, individual specific situations differ from each other. feedback can almost always be neutralized with reasonable effort. so it's fixable.

OTOH acoustics are clearly better when the gear is not between the speakers; and this is almost always the case. and the higher the resolution and dynamics of the system the more significant this would be. and really you cannot eliminate the acoustical consequences of gear between the speakers. you can learn to live with it. and it's not a make or break type thing in system performance.

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think the ideal location for source equipment and preamplifiers is in a separate, but adjacent, room. This does not reduce foundation-borne vibration but it reduces acoustic feedback.

In a small one bedroom apartment I lived in years ago I had the speakers and amplifiers in the living room, and I located the turntable and pre-amplifier in a separate, fully closeable, walk-in closet near the living room. (I though that was a pretty deluxe set-up for a one bedroom apartment.)

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
for myself, my gear is mid-wall along the side. only speakers and amplifiers in front.

I would say that feedback is similar objectively both between the speakers and along the side, individual specific situations differ from each other. feedback can almost always be neutralized with reasonable effort. so it's fixable.

OTOH acoustics are clearly better when the gear is not between the speakers; and this is almost always the case. and the higher the resolution and dynamics of the system the more significant this would be. and really you cannot eliminate the acoustical consequences of gear between the speakers. you can learn to live with it. and it's not a make or break type thing in system performance.

Hi Mike - and Ron

I am getting a loft based 'man-cave' - can't wait - my own dedicated 'room within a room' - alas I can't have my equipment in another room Ron

I have my equipment at the side at present and was wondering if I should move it back in between for my future room - my idea was, in part, to save money on speaker cables a tad - that said acoustics are the main issue

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike - and Ron

I am getting a loft based 'man-cave' - can't wait - my own dedicated 'room within a room' - alas I can't have my equipment in another room Ron

I have my equipment at the side at present and was wondering if I should move it back in between for my future room - my idea was, in part, to save money on speaker cables a tad - that said acoustics are the main issue

congrats on your 'own space'. that can make such a difference with listening pleasure in just getting comfortable with a dedicated space, even if it's within a larger space.

I'd say that the acoustical consequence is minimal, but not nothing....unless there is a video screen or window included. so where the gear is would be way down the list of concerns. maybe better shorter speaker cables might be more of a performance boost than longer lesser speaker cables but gear on the side.

enjoy 'your' space!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think having the source equipment and pre-amplifer on the side is preferable to having them between the speakers. You may even get a rare, strong consensus on this.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I have my system sitting in my L-shape office. My speakers and amps are at the top of L while the rest of the system is on the right leg of L. So the sources never get directly fired by the speakers. But it poses other challenges to overcome since my right leg of L is another 5x3 meters. I cant get the sound to envelope me like a normal rectangular room. I decided to use horns to project sound at my listening position to lessen the effect of my room. Many more compromises I have to accepted because it is really not a dedicated listening room.

Kind regards,
Tang

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I think having the source equipment and pre-amplifer on the side is preferable to having them between the speakers. You may even get a rare, strong consensus on this.

Or behind, for the sources:

And with the amplification up front, near the loudspeakers:

Reactions: Sharp 1080

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I think positioning the turntable between the speakers or near the speakers is not the best position. ...Near the listening position is better.
In many setups though we see the TT between the speakers; it has more chance of getting the speakers feedback into the pickup of the cart.

Question: Is there any benefit to suspend the turntable's shelf from the ceiling with four chains?

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I just place my equipment on a rack and the rack is placed anywhere convenient. When I run out of rack space, The power amp(s) are moved out and placed near the speakers.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
My sources, preamp and other components are about 10 feet behind where I sit.

My speakers, crossovers and power amps are 20 feet in front of me.

Interconnects extend from the preamp through holes in the floor, into the basement and back up to the amplifiers.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
. . . . Question: Is there any benefit to suspend the turntable's shelf from the ceiling with four chains?

How about in an evacuated chamber, mounted on a very heavy granite slab, floating in a tank filled with mercury? ? ? ?

:D :D :D :D

Reactions: the sound of Tao

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Or behind, for the sources:

And with the amplification up front, near the loudspeakers:

This is one of the best looking rooms I've seen anywhere. Someone should have told his installer however that to keep cover fabrics from sagging they should be installed with the room as cold as possible. :)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
For me at this time, my house determines my setup, which is between the speakers.

F2DA5797-304D-4CE6-8C55-F690738C8995.jpg

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sorry for the OT there

I keep everything except amps and speakers to the left side of my listening room. They are nestled between resonator traps to the sides and a broadband absorber above. All false rigid/reflective walls in my room also serve as sealed pressure traps.

I chose this as the best compromise. I've found that long ICs given properly matching electronics are easier to deal with than really long speaker cables. Less expensive, sounds better. No brainer IMO. I also like having more control of the front wall acoustics, something racks front and center make much more limiting.

If all I did was stream or listen to files, all I'd have inside my room would be the amps, speakers and a tablet LOL. I refuse to miss the first few bars of any song so you won't see me putting my turntable more than 10 ft from my listening chair.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
This is one of the best looking rooms I've seen anywhere. Someone should have told his installer however that to keep cover fabrics from sagging they should be installed with the room as cold as possible. :)

It has a little of that asylum room feel, just a little.

...Only the acoustic panels on the side walls.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
If all I did was stream or listen to files, all I'd have inside my room would be the amps, speakers and a tablet LOL. I refuse to miss the first few bars of any song so you won't see me putting my turntable more than 10 ft from my listening chair.

Very true; having the TT between the speakers you miss the first few seconds before you can settle comfortably in your lounge chair.

About having the TT right beside the main listening chair, @ seating level?
I've never seen that though, but I thought often about it.

* I was searching around the world wide Web, without much lock.
This is the closest I came to:

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing