Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you place your equipment???

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Off to the side...only amps and speakers in front of me. I strongly believe it improves imaging and sound staging.
    Christian

System Gear

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! GaryProtein's Avatar
    My sources, preamp and other components are about 10 feet behind where I sit.

My speakers, crossovers and power amps are 20 feet in front of me.

Interconnects extend from the preamp through holes in the floor, into the basement and back up to the amplifiers.
    Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! GaryProtein's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    . . . . Question: Is there any benefit to suspend the turntable's shelf from the ceiling with four chains?
    How about in an evacuated chamber, mounted on a very heavy granite slab, floating in a tank filled with mercury? ? ? ?

Listening Room: McIntosh C46, MCD500, MR78, MPI4, MC602 (2), Accuphase DG58, Pass Labs XVR1 (three-way), tri-amplified Infinity IRS Series V, TailTwister T2X rotator, AtlasSound FMA Rack, dedicated electrical sub-panel, boarded up fireplace, NO TV!

Living Room: McIntosh C28, MC2300, MEN220, Revox B226, Tascam CD355, Thorens TD125 MKII w/vacuum platter, Rabco SL-8E, Grace F9-Ruby, McIntosh ML-2C (2) & ML-1C (4) stacked, MQ-107, SAE 2800, Nakamichi Dragon, Tandberg 64X, JL Audio f113 (2)

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
    How about in an evacuated chamber, mounted on a very heavy granite slab, floating in a tank filled with mercury? ? ? ?

It doesn't sound as bad as it reads. It sure would look ... serious.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthStar View Post
    Or behind, for the sources:

And with the amplification up front, near the loudspeakers:

This is one of the best looking rooms I've seen anywhere. Someone should have told his installer however that to keep cover fabrics from sagging they should be installed with the room as cold as possible.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! BlueFox's Avatar
    For me at this time, my house determines my setup, which is between the speakers.

Name:  F2DA5797-304D-4CE6-8C55-F690738C8995.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  110.3 KB
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.

[WBF Founding Member] Addicted to Best! JackD201's Avatar
    Sorry for the OT there

I keep everything except amps and speakers to the left side of my listening room. They are nestled between resonator traps to the sides and a broadband absorber above. All false rigid/reflective walls in my room also serve as sealed pressure traps.

I chose this as the best compromise. I've found that long ICs given properly matching electronics are easier to deal with than really long speaker cables. Less expensive, sounds better. No brainer IMO. I also like having more control of the front wall acoustics, something racks front and center make much more limiting.

If all I did was stream or listen to files, all I'd have inside my room would be the amps, speakers and a tablet LOL. I refuse to miss the first few bars of any song so you won't see me putting my turntable more than 10 ft from my listening chair.
    Disclosure of Industry Participation

Co-Founder and Managing Director PureSound PH - Exclusive Distributor (Philippines only) of Lamm, Von Schweikert Audio, CH Precision, Light Harmonic, Valvet, Townshend, Critical Mass Systems, EERA, KR Audio, Ambience SS, TechDAS, Master Built, Stromtank

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    This is one of the best looking rooms I've seen anywhere. Someone should have told his installer however that to keep cover fabrics from sagging they should be installed with the room as cold as possible.
    It has a little of that asylum room feel, just a little.

...Only the acoustic panels on the side walls.
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post
    If all I did was stream or listen to files, all I'd have inside my room would be the amps, speakers and a tablet LOL. I refuse to miss the first few bars of any song so you won't see me putting my turntable more than 10 ft from my listening chair.
    Very true; having the TT between the speakers you miss the first few seconds before you can settle comfortably in your lounge chair.

About having the TT right beside the main listening chair, @ seating level?
    I've never seen that though, but I thought often about it.

* I was searching around the world wide Web, without much lock.
    This is the closest I came to:

Last edited by NorthStar; 10-20-2017 at 09:27 PM.

... I wish...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast