Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you place your equipment???

Where do you place your equipment???

Out of interest where do you place your system?

At most shows, you almost always have the equipment between and behind the speakers. Against this I have read, that you are better off having your system set up to the side as it is less affected by feedback acoustics etc...

Anyway please let me know what your findings are

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
    Out of interest where do you place your system?

At most shows, you almost always have the equipment between and behind the speakers. Against this I have read, that you are better off having your system set up to the side as it is less affected by feedback acoustics etc...

Anyway please let me know what your findings are
    for myself, my gear is mid-wall along the side. only speakers and amplifiers in front.

I would say that feedback is similar objectively both between the speakers and along the side, individual specific situations differ from each other. feedback can almost always be neutralized with reasonable effort. so it's fixable.

OTOH acoustics are clearly better when the gear is not between the speakers; and this is almost always the case. and the higher the resolution and dynamics of the system the more significant this would be. and really you cannot eliminate the acoustical consequences of gear between the speakers. you can learn to live with it. and it's not a make or break type thing in system performance.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I think the ideal location for source equipment and preamplifiers is in a separate, but adjacent, room. This does not reduce foundation-borne vibration but it reduces acoustic feedback.

In a small one bedroom apartment I lived in years ago I had the speakers and amplifiers in the living room, and I located the turntable and pre-amplifier in a separate, fully closeable, walk-in closet near the living room. (I though that was a pretty deluxe set-up for a one bedroom apartment.)
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post
    for myself, my gear is mid-wall along the side. only speakers and amplifiers in front.

I would say that feedback is similar objectively both between the speakers and along the side, individual specific situations differ from each other. feedback can almost always be neutralized with reasonable effort. so it's fixable.

OTOH acoustics are clearly better when the gear is not between the speakers; and this is almost always the case. and the higher the resolution and dynamics of the system the more significant this would be. and really you cannot eliminate the acoustical consequences of gear between the speakers. you can learn to live with it. and it's not a make or break type thing in system performance.
    Hi Mike - and Ron

I am getting a loft based 'man-cave' - can't wait - my own dedicated 'room within a room' - alas I can't have my equipment in another room Ron

I have my equipment at the side at present and was wondering if I should move it back in between for my future room - my idea was, in part, to save money on speaker cables a tad - that said acoustics are the main issue

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Loheswaran View Post
    Hi Mike - and Ron

I am getting a loft based 'man-cave' - can't wait - my own dedicated 'room within a room' - alas I can't have my equipment in another room Ron

I have my equipment at the side at present and was wondering if I should move it back in between for my future room - my idea was, in part, to save money on speaker cables a tad - that said acoustics are the main issue
    congrats on your 'own space'. that can make such a difference with listening pleasure in just getting comfortable with a dedicated space, even if it's within a larger space.

I'd say that the acoustical consequence is minimal, but not nothing....unless there is a video screen or window included. so where the gear is would be way down the list of concerns. maybe better shorter speaker cables might be more of a performance boost than longer lesser speaker cables but gear on the side.

enjoy 'your' space!
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    I think having the source equipment and pre-amplifer on the side is preferable to having them between the speakers. You may even get a rare, strong consensus on this.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Air Tight Opus-1; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies; line stage: VTL TL-7.5 Series III; amplifier: VTL Siegfried Series II; loudspeaker: Gryphon Pendragon; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana + Evo LPS for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel, JPS in-wall wire, Furutech NCF outlets, Torus AVR60BAL; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; acoustic treatment: SoundSense A.T.I. + Lumitex drapes + Vibramat, ASC IsoThermal Tube Traps; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks, self-propelled sound-absorbing cocker-poo

I have my system sitting in my L-shape office. My speakers and amps are at the top of L while the rest of the system is on the right leg of L. So the sources never get directly fired by the speakers. But it poses other challenges to overcome since my right leg of L is another 5x3 meters. I cant get the sound to envelope me like a normal rectangular room. I decided to use horns to project sound at my listening position to lessen the effect of my room. Many more compromises I have to accepted because it is really not a dedicated listening room.

Kind regards,
    Tang

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    I think having the source equipment and pre-amplifer on the side is preferable to having them between the speakers. You may even get a rare, strong consensus on this.
    Or behind, for the sources:

And with the amplification up front, near the loudspeakers:

All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    I think positioning the turntable between the speakers or near the speakers is not the best position. ...Near the listening position is better.
    In many setups though we see the TT between the speakers; it has more chance of getting the speakers feedback into the pickup of the cart.

Question: Is there any benefit to suspend the turntable's shelf from the ceiling with four chains?
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

I just place my equipment on a rack and the rack is placed anywhere convenient. When I run out of rack space, The power amp(s) are moved out and placed near the speakers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast