Are any normal audio fans REALLY EXCITED about MQA? Or just the Elites?

caesar

May 30, 2010
I am interested in MQA. I listened to the Esoteric N-01 at RMAF playing MQA vs. non-MQA files on Tidal and I was impressed with the sound quality. I recently purchased the Berkeley Ref2 MQA DAC, which is an MQA renderer and does the final unfolding of MQA. I am looking forward to purchasing an Aurender MQA N10, which will do core MQA unfolding, when it is released early next year. I have no interest in purchasing MQA files, just listening to the growing Tidal MQA catalog and being able to enjoy full MQA with the Aurender-Berkeley combo.

Ken

Hi Alpinist,
Thank you for chiming in. One of the things more casual fans like me are confused about is where this unfolding takes place. You already have a reference-level DAC. What value would adding an Aurender to the mix? How much of an improvement would that hypothetically get you?

caesar

May 30, 2010
+1. streaming hi res is where its at long term.

i think folks should have more concern about silver discs going away in 5 years.

Don't worry. I listened to compare between a quality CD Transport and an Aurender streamer. While the Aurender had "more detail", it did not have the palpability or realness of the Esoteric. Different products for different tastes.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
+1!

You elite, you :)
I thought elite was a grounding box... and yes, I want one!

MQA... time will tell if the emperor is wearing anything... ummm Emperor, now that is a grounding box and yes I still want one.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I wouldn't purchase a DAC that cannot do full MQA. The number of MQA titles available in one year could exceed the number of SACD titles released since 2002. The titles are a mix of every genre and includes some of the new music titles that are released each Friday and not just the SOS we grew old with. In general I get better SQ and so far have not had to pay more for the MQA I listen to.

Can't you just press a button on your Aurender for it do MQA?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan

caesar

May 30, 2010
I wouldn't purchase a DAC that cannot do full MQA. The number of MQA titles available in one year could exceed the number of SACD titles released since 2002. The titles are a mix of every genre and includes some of the new music titles that are released each Friday and not just the SOS we grew old with. In general I get better SQ and so far have not had to pay more for the MQA I listen to.

I was reading that all the major music companies have converted their entire catalogs to MQA. Why are these just trickling out? If they already converted this music to MQA, why not just let people access to all of it?

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I was reading that all the major music companies have converted their entire catalogs to MQA. Why are these just trickling out? If they already converted this music to MQA, why not just let people access to all of it?

No one outside of the music companies and Tidal seems to know how these titles are being "MQA'd" and provided to Tidal. Some of delay is probably due Regional rights, other than that we have no idea. I doubt that all of the catalogs have been converted but the flow of new titles has been steady lately. The closet we have to a complete list seems to be this one here.

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/downloads/MQA_List.csv

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Don't worry. I listened to compare between a quality CD Transport and an Aurender streamer. While the Aurender had "more detail", it did not have the palpability or realness of the Esoteric. Different products for different tastes.

No offense, but your compare doesn't really matter. The studios are going to drop discs altogether at some point and most companies have ceased making cdps. most car companies have gotten rid of them in the past year. retail stores like best buy hardly stock cds anymore. and nobody under the age of 30 has seen one.

dare i say, cds are now a niche format and will be relegated to audiophile labels only.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Are there any normal guys out there who are really excited about MQA? My impression on the MQA files I have heard streamed so far is that they have also been remastered. So I don't know if I am hearing improvements due to MQA or remastering.

Any regular people REALLY EXCITED about this new technology, or just more drek pushed on us from out of touch elites?

What do you consider "normal guys"? ...Regular people like us here?

Is MQA present on our LPs, on our CD music collection, or do we need to buy new music and new audio stuff to follow the general mass/master trend? Is it going to enhance life and other things attached to life, our life?

MQA I only know what others have written about it and I don't feel an urgent need to adapt and adopt.
Maybe I'm missing an important piece of a music puzzle here, and it would be sad to discover that my Pink Floyd music collection is not what was first intended to sound like. I would probably have sleepless nights just thinking about it. Maybe I'm thinking too much?

caesar

May 30, 2010
No offense, but your compare doesn't really matter. The studios are going to drop discs altogether at some point and most companies have ceased making cdps. most car companies have gotten rid of them in the past year. retail stores like best buy hardly stock cds anymore. and nobody under the age of 30 has seen one.

dare i say, cds are now a niche format and will be relegated to audiophile labels only.

Used ones aren't going anywhere, and most new music sucks. :) Listening to Robert Plant's new CD in my car, and it's just ok....

Oh where Oh where is the Michael Fremer of CD Transports? :)
I hope one emerges!

caesar

May 30, 2010
No one outside of the music companies and Tidal seems to know how these titles are being "MQA'd" and provided to Tidal. Some of delay is probably due Regional rights, other than that we have no idea. I doubt that all of the catalogs have been converted but the flow of new titles has been steady lately. The closet we have to a complete list seems to be this one here.

http://www.meridianunplugged.com/downloads/MQA_List.csv

Thank you

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Used ones aren't going anywhere, and most new music sucks. :) Listening to Robert Plant's new CD in my car, and it's just ok....

Oh where Oh where is the Michael Fremer of CD Transports? :)
I hope one emerges!

That is true. Used CDs are hot right now, believe it or not! With used records commanding higher and higher pricing, people are falling back on the $1 CD, as the $1 LP is long, long gone.

I was just at a local record store, and they've scaled back their space for new indie LPs, and covered it all with used CDs, most in the $3-$5 range.

You might recall that just when LPs were supposed to be dying, the record stores did great buying people's collections for cents. I see the same happening right now for CDs.

Vinyl bounced back for sure, but will CDs?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
That's interesting; rewind to the past in reselling what has been precious all along but not fully discovered because DACs still keep improving.
I like that; equal chance for the physical digital medium as it was with analogue.

They do with DVD and Blu-ray too.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Alpinist,
Thank you for chiming in. One of the things more casual fans like me are confused about is where this unfolding takes place. You already have a reference-level DAC. What value would adding an Aurender to the mix? How much of an improvement would that hypothetically get you?

Hi Caesar,

The Aurender N10 MQA, when it’s released in early 2018, will do MQA core decoding. The Lumin U1 MQA already does it. The final level of MQA decoding will be done at the Berkeley Ref2 MQA DAC (a renderer), delivering full MQA. There are some DACs already out that do full MQA decoding themselves, such as Meridian. As good as the Berkeley Ref2 DAC sounds on Tidal non-MQA files, it should sound even better on Tidal MQA files, based on my listening experience with the Esoteric N-01 on Tidal non-MQA and MQA files. My opinion of course, YMMV.

Best,
Ken

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Since when was Deutsche Grammophon an audiophile label? ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing