Are any normal audio fans REALLY EXCITED about MQA? Or just the Elites?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Since when was Deutsche Grammophon an audiophile label? ;)

IMHO many of their recordings sound better than many audiophile recordings. But we have to own a system that can play them.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
IMHO many of their recordings sound better than many audiophile recordings. But we have to own a system that can play them.

True. But they are not necessarily known as an 'audiophile label' or for their sound quality even though, while not always, indeed it can be very good -- outstanding even.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
True. But they are not necessarily known as an 'audiophile label' or for their sound quality even though, while not always, indeed it can be very good -- outstanding even.

like the earlier Columbia's, tape based DG's are typically (but not always) a bit bright/lean/dry (in some ways I prefer later digital sourced DG pressings, they were not as bright). but so many great artists and performers. it's almost worthy of a separate arm and phono stage that is blunted appropriately.

and like the Columbia's, the DG recordings are excellent as their reissues are superlative. so likely over time we will continue to get some quality re-issues. and the DG CD's are typically quite good.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Any regular people REALLY EXCITED about this new technology, or just more drek pushed on us from out of touch elites?

Why are you always denigrating people? You should run for President.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Why are you always denigrating people? You should run for President.

Some of the most disgusting, pathetic, worthless, and unprincipled individuals I have run into in life I have come across in the high end audio hobby.

Why don't you put me on ignore and you can have you "safe space"?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Some of the most disgusting, pathetic, worthless, and unprincipled individuals I have run into in life I have come across in the high end audio hobby.

Why don't you put me on ignore and you can have you "safe space"?

So sad. LOL

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
like the earlier Columbia's, tape based DG's are typically (but not always) a bit bright/lean/dry (in some ways I prefer later digital sourced DG pressings, they were not as bright). but so many great artists and performers. it's almost worthy of a separate arm and phono stage that is blunted appropriately.

and like the Columbia's, the DG recordings are excellent as their reissues are superlative. so likely over time we will continue to get some quality re-issues. and the DG CD's are typically quite good.

I agree.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
LOL About the boldest statement u have made here but a gross miscalculation..........

Let's talk in 5 years about this 'gross miscalculation', shall we? ;)

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Now u want 5 years....u did say DOA......

It is DOA indeed. But after 5 years you will have definite proof that it is so -- at that point we will not have to debate anymore if it was DOA or not.

caesar

May 30, 2010
So sad. LOL

I agree that lying , exaggerating, and misleading people into spending their hard earned money while personally profiting, or having your friends profit is "sad". Sad, but one has to accept that part of human nature. This type of stuff has been around a long, long time and it's not going away.

But one can also shine some light on it, despite being called names by willingly clueless guys on the internet.

And that type of response toward those who think differently than the conventional wisdom is also "sad" but not surprising. But then you look at so many "dumb , rich" guys who have spent high five figures and six figures on their systems and their systems suck. Of course, that money may have been better spent on other experiences, educating family members, or charity.

But what is even more "sad" is guys who fail to see the reality. Truth is not obliterated if individuals refuse to see it. Facts are not annihilated by those who refuse to acknowledge them. Like I said above, Sir, please put me on ignore and live in your bliss.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Some of the most disgusting, pathetic, worthless, and unprincipled individuals I have run into in life I have come across in XXX. (...)

IMHO XXX could be any hobby. Once you enter deeply in an activity there is a real probability you will know about the worst and the best of it. Again IMHO, such ambiguous sentence does not bring anything good to the hobby or our forum.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just to put things in a perspective balance regarding the state of the MQA affairs in the audio recording music business of the professional and public domains. ...The creation of quality sound advancement in the higher plane of financial profits to the interests of its creator and benefactors, the audio manufacturers.

In California people who once were sleeping in a comfy bed of their comfy homes are now sleeping in a tent or renting a room for a family of five. I'm not kidding, just look it up.
In Africa children are dying by the thousands, there is a major crisis for control of the territory and human lives are just normal collateral.
Some counties are generous, the USA the most, to help people in the interest of helping themselves first, with their highly profitable resources...minerals. ...Diamonds, gold, you name it. We send our people over there to help them, for a better world, for saving lives, for a better control of financial resources...because Africa is a rich soil, a rich country in needs of exploitation. That's what we do best, the countries with money and power...exploitation.

So, MQA is good for the music listening people with their iPods and home stereo systems?
It's good for audio manufacturers who implement it in their products, it's good for Bob and his associate investors, it's good for audiophiles with golden ears, it's good for the poor and the rich, it's good for audio evolution, for progress advancement, it's good for the Queen, for the lords and princesses of Egypt, of Arabia, of USA, of UK and Russia, it's good for France and Ireland and Italy and Mexico and Venezuela and Argentina.

Just to put things in perspective in an upside world where man needs to constantly reinvent the audio banking wheel.

According to the experts audio engineers @ gearslutz MQA is here to stick no matter what; even if it enhances our music on the plus side.

I know nothing more than what the audio people are saying and writing in the audio advertising websites and the people who tested it by analysing it, listening to it, comparing it with more or less the same.

It is @ the precipice of desolation that humans come together in the realisation of the horror.

So, what does it all mean in simple words...we have a choice, we have a choice of the direction we want to take...just like Hollywood film industry with 3D and 4K and Dolby...we have a choice, more or less limited but we have a choice.

I know not much about MQA, nothing more than what people write about it. Or want to rave about it, or want to kill it quick like the plague.

Oh yeah, I'm extremely exited about it, I cannot control my enthusiasm.
But then, I'm just a normal guy, a regular audio file, a people easily convinced by the realistic audio people from the advertising audio world.

This is my way, my words put together to express my opinion to a sincere question.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Used ones aren't going anywhere, and most new music sucks. :) Listening to Robert Plant's new CD in my car, and it's just ok....

Oh where Oh where is the Michael Fremer of CD Transports? :)
I hope one emerges!

Ah yes, the grumpy old fogie "new music sucks" trope. So tiring.

And anything Robert Plant can't be considered new music.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am not a normal audio fan because I only listing to vinyl. Even as such, I am not excited. I will listen to it when my digital friends have an MQA DAC, but given that Al M. is showing no interest, I may never have the opportunity. I am still waiting for the QOL? technology to find its way into every car radio, TV, cell phone, and Hallmark card because those all need help sounding better. Still waiting.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing