Dexter-Showtime

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I tried to start this series on Netflix discs a couple of years ago and didn't connect. People keep talking about how good it is, so I'm starting up again now that the first 4 seasons are available for streaming. Lithgow is great. Can't wait to get to Season 4.

Tim

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I tried to start this series on Netflix discs a couple of years ago and didn't connect. People keep talking about how good it is, so I'm starting up again now that the first 4 seasons are available for streaming. Lithgow is great. Can't wait to get to Season 4.

Tim

Tim

you and I rarely agree on anything except cinema and TV series :). This is one of those TV series that we watched every episode of all 8 seasons. My wife, who will never go to see anything violent or brutal watched every episode with me. The last few seasons all tie together and there were times literally where I thought my heart was going to explode with tension and suspense. I really think you'll like it.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim

you and I rarely agree on anything except cinema and TV series :). This is one of those TV series that we watched every episode of all 8 seasons. My wife, who will never go to see anything violent or brutal watched every episode with me. The last few seasons all tie together and there were times literally where I thought my heart was going to explode with tension and suspense. I really think you'll like it.

I sometimes have trouble with the dark, to be honest. Took me a couple of tries to get into Breaking Bad. But for Dexter, I keep getting recommendations like the one above. Besides, I think my all-time favorite TV series is Six Feet Under, in which Michael C. Hall was brilliant. I'm just a couple of episodes in. I'll let you know when I get hooked. I can tell you this much already - the girlfriend is brilliantly written and played. Can't say I've ever seen "damaged" portrayed any more subtly and effectively.

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
SPOILER ALERT!

SPOILER ALERT!

The ending of season 4 for took a real unexpected twist, and nobody in our room (4 of us) saw it coming. After we shut the TV at the end of Episode 1 Season 5, (nobody wanted to go to sleep hanging from that chilling ending of Season 4 without getting some answers) all of us were asking each other who could have done the final gruesome crime. I recall in the late 70s there was a question everyone who watched Dallas was asking, who shot JR? This time, it's who killed R__? And I was telling my wife Steve mentioned that Season 6 is a very good one as well, with the son of Tom Hanks in there. Now she can't wait to get to S6, but I think we would all want to know the answers via Season 5.

And a funny comment I read somewhere from those who have seen the last of Season 8: "I'm sad that there will be no more Dexter, I don't know what to do with my life." :D

Steve Williams

SPOILER ALERT!

SPOILER ALERT!

The ending of season 4 for took a real unexpected twist, and nobody in our room (4 of us) saw it coming. After we shut the TV at the end of Episode 1 Season 5, (nobody wanted to go to sleep hanging from that chilling ending of Season 4 without getting some answers) all of us were asking each other who could have done the final gruesome crime. I recall in the late 70s there was a question everyone who watched Dallas was asking, who shot JR? This time, it's who killed R__? And I was telling my wife Steve mentioned that Season 6 is a very good one as well, with the son of Tom Hanks in there. Now she can't wait to get to S6, but I think we would all want to know the answers via Season 5.

And a funny comment I read somewhere from those who have seen the last of Season 8: "I'm sad that there will be no more Dexter, I don't know what to do with my life." :D
My wife set her clock as to the time of the show. It was one of my daughters who turned us into the show. It thought the final season wrapped things up well

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My wife set her clock as to the time of the show. It was one of my daughters who turned us into the show. It thought the final season wrapped things up well

My wife's Korean soap has taken a back seat. By 9pm she will be calling me in another room, 'Dexter time'. :D And my 2 teen kids hop in too. Been a while since we watch TV series together. We finish all seasons of 24 and Prison Break, and half of Lost, but in between there was nothing much of interest till Dexter. I watch Homeland by myself, not their cup of tea. I'm planning to dig up Roswell if I get the time.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Top of Season 6 now, and the villians are Tom Hank's son and his mentor. More blood and gore. Season 5 was not bad. Julia Stiles has a seductively low voice.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I'm not a half-dozen episodes into Season 2, and hooked.

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm not a half-dozen episodes into Season 2, and hooked.

Tim

I find the ending of Season 1 truly shocking and nerve wracking. How the different writers come up with a unified theme on Dexter's character is amazing. And how they add twists and new serial killers in the succeeding seasons is incredible as well. Gotta hand it to the writers and directors. And isn't it funny that despite Dexter being a murderer per se, he is felt as a 'good guy'. All because he has 'good' intentions as learned from the Code.

Steve Williams

I find the ending of Season 1 truly shocking and nerve wracking. How the different writers come up with a unified theme on Dexter's character is amazing. And how they add twists and new serial killers in the succeeding seasons is incredible as well. Gotta hand it to the writers and directors. And isn't it funny that despite Dexter being a murderer per se, he is felt as a 'good guy'. All because he has 'good' intentions as learned from the Code.

it gets very chilling in the last 2 seasons

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
it gets very chilling in the last 2 seasons

good to know, steve. my son says seasons 5 and 6 is lacking in chills. :D he actually fell asleep in a couple of episodes. :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

It's nothing new, really. Heroic vigilante justice has been a repeated theme in American film and TV for decades. This is just a new version cast in the psycho zone. That's the disconnect, for me; Dexter doesn't feel or act like a psycho. His interior monologue talks about being hollow, dead inside, but (almost) everything he is and does denies that. Even his choice of victims, his method of kill, is filled with humanity, if a twisted one. I don't believe it, but I put on my suspension of disbelief and wade in, because I know if they made him emotionally dead the series would have died long ago. But I hope they're headed toward working that conflict instead of trying to make me believe in emotionally dead psycho. It's good; I'm in, but it still has room for improvement. If they're headed toward Dexter in "recovery," repeatedly climbing on and falling off the wagon...that could be some very interesting stuff. If they're going to try go keep me believing this guy is a true psycho for 8 seasons, that's going to be a heck of a hill to climb.

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Since I've never been to Miami the series is showing me a lively city and a nice Latin flavored music which I like.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bottom of the 6th, cliffhanger as we had to call it a night after the 11th episode as it was near midnight. Never thought a good guy face like Colin Hanks could become a real psycho, and very fierce at that.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The season six cliff hanger will have your jaw on the floor as it ends.

And that's as much as you should say without putting a big SPOILER ALERT! At the top. Some of us are just in season 2.

:)

Tim

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
my wife is so hooked on dexter when she saw me watching homeland (which she does not watch) on my pc she asked, are you watching dexter without me? :D

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
end of 6th. chilling and shocking.

episode 1 of season 7. unbelievable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing