Dexter-Showtime

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
IMO the best TV lies in cable channels as the content, dialog, graphic violence etc could not be shown on network TV.

I had never seen a single episode of this already 5 year running series on Showtime.

My youngest daughter who is a junior at University of Boulder has been home over the Christmas break and has been hooked on Dexter. Let me tell you, this is one interesting story and is worth watching

Dexter Morgan, Miami Metro Police Department blood spatter analyst, leads a double life. When he's not helping the homicide division solve murders, he satisfies his dark desires by hunting and killing bad guys who slip through the justice system.

I must admit that my wife, daughter and I managed to watch the first three seasons this past week On Demand and it was gripping and draws you in from one episode to the next.It is a real thriller and will bring goose bumps to the back of your neck.
Beware if you are among the weak at heart
This man is indeed a serial killer but he only kills the bad guys who have escaped the legal system. He is an absolute psychopath but almost in a good way.

Definitely worth watching.

Some trailers below but be advised of the graphic nature of both the language and the content

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
I am hooked as the scripting-construction of the characters/personalities seem to be incredibly well thought out and done.
When looking closely it is interesting to see how each law enforcement character has been given a flaw and this seems intentional to me.
The FBI agent who comes into a certain part of the Dexter series seems to be the one without a flaw, the perfect investigator, although I am still not sure if falling in love with someone half his age is technically a flaw or not.
Seems a better version of Criminal Minds, which also is good.

BTW anyone going to watch the very last season of Cold Case?
This has some of the best thought out music associated with each episode as it reflects the year of the murder the cold case happened, again each episode relating to script-characters is well thought out.

Cheers
Orb

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
Dexter is my current favorite show. The authors managed to create a hero out of an apparently normal guy who has been heavily traumatized during his childhood and grew up as a serial killer with schizophrenic features. Clearly, this make him an anti-hero at the same time. Impressively, the characterization of Dexter personality is so well done that, despite the character catches the audience's sympathy, there's not an actual apology of self-made justice. Dexter's character is in a constant struggle with himself, trying to understand whether is doing the "right" thing or not, and, episode by episode, understanding he's a psychopath. These hero/anti-hero contrast, plus all his consciousness issues, remind me somehow the best Frank Miller's Batman.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Funny though,
at the end I felt more sorry for the Ice Truck Killer rather than Dexter, ok more sorry in a certain way as he was a more of a monster than Dexter could be.
That ending did leave me feeling gutted for quite awhile, but will not ruin it for those who are to see some of the older series.

Cheers
Orb

Steve Williams

Dexter is a mind chilling thriller.

I have watched all 5 seasons and without question Season 4 was the best. John Lithgow plays a serial killer who Dexter is hunting and once Lithgow's character discovers what Dexter is up to, he starts to hunt Dexter. It literally makes the hair curl on the back of your head. In fact Lithgow was nominated for his performance in that Season. Season 5 was also amazing with an ending that will knock your socks off.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
Yeah agreed Steve,
John Lithgow for me has been the best serial killer actor so far, incredible actor and I feel quite brave of him to take such a dark role.
I love how we get to watch both looking at mirror images and what goes through their heads.
Cheers
Steve

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I just discovered this series while looking at the 'similar threads' somewhere here. Wow. My kind of series. My family have been watching it every night for the last few nights. We're just about to end season 1, and I told them, there are 7 more seasons to go. :D Though I can't really stand watching incisions and blood on flesh, I have to make myself brave to watch the storyline here. Great story line.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It really is more complex than blood and gore. It presents some substantive social issues. The character Dexter is not just a sociopath he is deeply psychotic. As evidenced b his auditory and visual illusions with his father.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
What made this series work IMO is the fact the Dexter and the main serial killers are incredibly well constructed from a personality-psychological perspective, although I feel the very last couple of series it lost that mojo.
Cheers
Orb

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
It really is more complex than blood and gore. It presents some substantive social issues. The character Dexter is not just a sociopath he is deeply psychotic. As evidenced b his auditory and visual illusions with his father.

True. And that was shown just on the first few episodes alone. I can't imagine what he becomes in the next seasons culminating in Season 8. He could be Hannibal 10x worse, only he is also a cop.

Steve Williams

True. And that was shown just on the first few episodes alone. I can't imagine what he becomes in the next seasons culminating in Season 8. He could be Hannibal 10x worse, only he is also a cop.

He isn't a cop. His sister is. He is a blood splatter analyst

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I thought they left an opening for a return at some point. I watched all 8 seasons too. Seemed like it was time to go away as the story line was getting a bit stale or should I say more unbelievable than ever. That said, I'll miss the show.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Whole family watched Episodes 9 and 10 last night and finished close to midnight. My son wanted to go for the finish of the season with Ep 11 and 12 but I said we would be hitting 2 am and his sister has work the next day. It's like a soap, many dramatic moments shifting from character to character. I wanted to jump to the chilling Season 4 but I know it would be chaotic round the house. :D

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Whole family watched Episodes 9 and 10 last night and finished close to midnight. My son wanted to go for the finish of the season with Ep 11 and 12 but I said we would be hitting 2 am and his sister has work the next day. It's like a soap, many dramatic moments shifting from character to character. I wanted to jump to the chilling Season 4 but I know it would be chaotic round the house. :D

watch all 8 seasons because they are all related

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
watch all 8 seasons because they are all related

Will do Steve. Movies have to take a back seat these few week nights. But everyone here loves it. even my daughter who is picky on shows is staying awake and actually on the edge of her chair during the whole show.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
well Season 4 is as close to getting into the heads of two psychotics as you'll ever get

the suspense is killing me. not that I idolize psychos and the like. :)

And trivia time. I found out that Jennifer carpenter who plays Dexter's sister was Emily Rose herself in that exorcism movie. I was kidding my son that it's a good thing she survived the horror movie. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing