Quad esl 63 Crosby

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Someone listen and tested vs normal quad 63?
Which are sound difference?
Thanks

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I have a pair of Crosby modified Quad 63. I have never compared it to a stock Quad 63. The two amplifiers I have used with the Crosby Quad were the Crosby Spectral DMA50 monos and the Lamm class A solid state monos switched to 16 ohms. I am more fond of the Lamm and Quad pairing as it is livelier. But that's my taste. Of the people who have heard the Crosby Quads in my old room, half preferred the Crosby Spectral and the other half preferred the Lamms.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I drove mine with the original Matti Ottala Ampliwire Amp--- great synergy! My friend had the stock 63's--the Crosby's widened the soundstage and improved

the already superb imaging and depth markedly--a bench mark for the late 70's early 80's!:)

BruceD

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Thanks
i found a pair like new from Italian distributor of Spectral,and i was thinking.......

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks
i found a pair like new from Italian distributor of Spectral,and i was thinking.......

Hi Gian,

The Crosby had some tweaks similar to the 63 US version but they also rewired with shitty MIT wires and I think caps too which changed the overall balance of the speaker. People who liked the the type of sound AS was pushing at the time might have liked it but I didn’t care for them. Either way you need to consider that those Quads need refurbishing and whoever’s doing the job should also know what it is that they’re working on. If not best case scenario will be that they return it to factory spec and you’ll lose the premium you’re paying for the Crosby version or you’ll end up with something completely different and worse sounding. This is a buyer beware scenario!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I drove mine with the original Matti Ottala Ampliwire Amp--- great synergy! My friend had the stock 63's--the Crosby's widened the soundstage and improved

the already superb imaging and depth markedly--a bench mark for the late 70's early 80's!:)

BruceD

The Ampliwire was the Electrocompaniet version of the Matti Otala designs - as people sometimes say, it had the Otala genes in it. :)

I still keep an old Ampliwire somewhere because of the very good sound I had with it playing ESL63's - it is part of my retirement system! :) This system, when driven by an Audio Research SP8 was one the few that managed digital of the early 90's sound musical.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Gian,

The Crosby had some tweaks similar to the 63 US version but they also rewired with shitty MIT wires and I think caps too which changed the overall balance of the speaker. People who liked the the type of sound AS was pushing at the time might have liked it but I didn’t care for them. Either way you need to consider that those Quads need refurbishing and whoever’s doing the job should also know what it is that they’re working on. If not best case scenario will be that they return it to factory spec and you’ll lose the premium you’re paying for the Crosby version or you’ll end up with something completely different and worse sounding. This is a buyer beware scenario!

david

Good advice. Crosby Quads should not be from the latest generations of ESL63 and will need careful refurbishing, even if they are perfect. The stator plates are the more critical part - the original glue attaching them to the frames has sagged and the plates are usually loose, vibrating and arcing when driven. This attachment should be strengthened with cyanoacrylate glue or similar - a laborious and precision task, particularly on the side where the foil is attached.

The good thing is that, if you have access to the proper person, ESL63 can always be re-built - there are many people supplying the materials to do it.

An obscure dream of mine is using the ESL63 with the ARC REF250's and REF40!

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Gian,

david

This is excellent advice. If 63's are in your future - and everyone should hear a pair- a completely refurbished set from the likes of Wayne Picquet or the like is the best option. I have USA monitors and after this work done by Quads Unlimited the performance is outstanding. Unless you can purchase them for a song I would not do it.

If you are considering a pair. Then look for the most cosmetically acceptable non- working pair- pay little and have them refurbished by a professional such as Wayne. You will be amazed. All 63's and 57s regardless of vintage will now require rebuilding if not already done.

Good luck.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
The Ampliwire was the Electrocompaniet version of the Matti Otala designs - as people sometimes say, it had the Otala genes in it. :)

I still keep an old Ampliwire somewhere because of the very good sound I had with it playing ESL63's - it is part of my retirement system! :) This system, when driven by an Audio Research SP8 was one the few that managed digital of the early 90's sound musical.

Ha! Yes indeed--a sweet Amp for 25W--I was lucky to get Stewart Hegeman to make me a Hapi 1 Preamp to go with the Amp

- I still recall the flavour --to be savoured even today--!

I agree on the SP8 I had one as well--but the SP3A was my intro to ARC.

BruceD

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Italian distributor of Spectral Lyra,Boulder has one pair new in his box
I was thinking to go to listen well and put in one second system but the price is too high,he ask 5.000 euro,so i lost interest

I found also an Acoustic X at 4.500 euro,have to check discount or not,but seems new,also the amp seems completely new,restored with new tube

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Both Crosby Quad and Acoustat X are excellent choices.

With the Acoustat, you will not need a power amp. I have heard the Acoustat X partnered to an Audio Research SP3 preamp and Cotter turntable. I can't remember the rest of the front end anymore. It sounded very clean, very clear and had a very well lighted soundstage.

The Crosby Quad sounds warmer compared to the Acoustat X regardless of whether the Crosby Spectral or the Lamm M1.1 was driving it.

Both will be excellent speakers for a second system.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I listen Acoustat X 30 years ago and i was very impressive
After 30 years i don't know if i like
Are 350 km from my home,i will see if go to listen
They have also monitor 4 at 5.900 euro

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Italian distributor of Spectral Lyra,Boulder has one pair new in his box
I was thinking to go to listen well and put in one second system but the price is too high,he ask 5.000 euro,so i lost interest

I found also an Acoustic X at 4.500 euro,have to check discount or not,but seems new,also the amp seems completely new,restored with new tube

I saw those Gian. I wanted to buy them but the wife said no because of their size and looks. I am a HUGE Acoustat fan. I have owned three different pairs in the past (models: 1+1, Spectra 2200 and Spectra 4400) but I have never owned a pair of the "direct drive" models, which were the earliest and by many accounts the best sounding Acoustats ever. They will run circles around Quad 63s (the "normal" transformer coupled Acoustats already do this). I would not be surprised if they would shoot right up to the top of your "best ever" list despite the ridiculously low price by today's high end standards. Don't worry about Acoustats failing though the panels are the most robust of any electrostat ever...40 years old and work like new. Only the OTL amps can fail and those have been refurbished it seems...good for another 20-30 years. There is also a pair for less money from a German used gear dealer.

Finally, that same Italian company has a pair of Acoustat 4, which is the big brother of the X, with 4 panels instead of three; however, I heard that the X images and stuff better because of the smaller central panel (the 4 panel model has no central panel per se).

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Also i would like to buy one but my wife will claim because i have Montagna,Stirling 3/5 and Quad Corner Ribbon and will be angry if i buy Acoustat,but i would like
I had 2+2 and i remember good sound
Acoustat X shocked me 30 years ago and now i don't know if i like a lot or not,after 30 years
My friend has and sell because has a lot of speaker Acoustic 3,the model after acoustat with otl amp.He told is better,but i don't believe.
For the sound you think is better X or Monitor 4?

Now i have Corner Ribbon and really is very good and natural,is a fantastic speaker

IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1149.JPG

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Also i would like to buy one but my wife will claim because i have Montagna,Stirling 3/5 and Quad Corner Ribbon and will be angry if i buy Acoustat,but i would like
I had 2+2 and i remember good sound
Acoustat X shocked me 30 years ago and now i don't know if i like a lot or not,after 30 years
My friend has and sell because has a lot of speaker Acoustic 3,the model after acoustat with otl amp.He told is better,but i don't believe.
For the sound you think is better X or Monitor 4?

Now i have Corner Ribbon and really is very good and natural,is a fantastic speaker

View attachment 37193
View attachment 37194
View attachment 37195

Those are really cool.

If you don't need ultra high SPL then I think the X is a better choice for Imaging. Phasiness with electrostats can drive you crazy, which is why I liked my Spectra 2200s so much. They imaged like hell and had no phasey stuff so "head in a vice" was not necessary. They were also more transparent than the earlier transformer coupled Acoustats as they used a better coupling transformer and technology...my 1+1 had the same interface as your friends model 3 and the Spectras were much better. I have no doubt the OTL version is the best Acoustat. There are ways to mod the amps to improve the sound further as well.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing