Thread: Mono Hum

Mono Hum

I bought a Ortofon Cadenza Mono cartridge used a few months back and used it off and on by swapping in and out of my SME 3012R tonearm. Initially everything was quiet and sounding good. Swapped out the cart for another then put the Ortofon back in yesterday and I now have a hum. I tried countless grounding methods, cables even headshell. Still hums. Any clues as to what is causing it. Hard to ask for help from dealers since I didn't buy from them.

Commonest reason for hum is difference between the right and left ground

Check your interconnects are snuggly in and your pins

Try pulling out one set of pins and see if hum goes

If it was working without hum, itís probably a loose connection

Also if using detachable headshell, clean the pins with a cotton bud maybe dipped in some white spirit

If that doesnít work, come back to us....

To permanently get rid of any hum, run y connectors in heashell so only working off one ground set of pins
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

When it was working quiet it was with a different phonostage. Anything else I use in the same arm is quiet in my current setup. I moved things around, tried cables, different grounding schemes etc...

I reached out to Ortofon and they answered with the typical script and then said if my phono was dual mono the hum will be present and to use a Y connector.

Quote Originally Posted by pcosta View Post
    I bought a Ortofon Cadenza Mono cartridge used a few months back and used it off and on by swapping in and out of my SME 3012R tonearm. Initially everything was quiet and sounding good. Swapped out the cart for another then put the Ortofon back in yesterday and I now have a hum. I tried countless grounding methods, cables even headshell. Still hums. Any clues as to what is causing it. Hard to ask for help from dealers since I didn't buy from them.
    Ortofon is correct, Hum from the left channel in a mono cartridge isn't unusual, you can mute or turn the volume down on that channel or unplug it from the phono. You have to look at the usual suspects if you're getting hum in both channels.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Kharma OLS Speakers, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers,
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.
    VENTA Air Washers & Humidifiers

Manufacture: American Sound Turntables and The Nothing Rack.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

The Cadenza Mono will hum depending on the phono stage in use. If it does you simply need to use the mono switch if the phono stage has one, or use a Y- cable to combine the two channels.

I will try the Y connector later. My old phono had a mono switch this one does not.

Thanks for everyone help.