Low capacitance cables

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
My amp likes low capacitance cables. At present I have gone back to DNM after some Nordost.

Do you have any suggestions for good low capacitance cables?

thanks

Lohan

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Speaker cables or interconnect cables?
Low capacitance speaker cables means that the cable has high loop inductance. So high frequencies can be rolled of with some speakers.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
My amp likes low capacitance cables. At present I have gone back to DNM after some Nordost.

thanks

Lohan

Look for designs with a fair amount of spacing between polarities and relatively small gauge. Not that they will sound better mind......

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

thanks

Lohan

What amp + speakers?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

thanks

Lohan

The cables I used to manufacture (ICs), had capacitance of 3.8pF/foot, lowest in the industry. I am selling my cable business and I have a couple of interested buyers, so they may be available again soon. You could look for them used on Audiogon: called "holophonic-PC. They are very good unshielded silver cables.

The thing to understand about capacitance, is that it is always important in interconnects, but particularly critical when driving from most DACs, because the output impedance of most DACs is much higher than the typical SS preamp. A quick back of the envelope calculation will show that even 10-15 pF/foot in a cable will result in roll-off at 20kHz with a DAC and the more typical 50pF/foot is really bad. I would beware the manufacturer that does not publish the capacitance per foot in their product specs.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The cables I used to manufacture (ICs), had capacitance of 3.8pF/foot, lowest in the industry. I am selling my cable business and I have a couple of interested buyers, so they may be available again soon. You could look for them used on Audiogon: called "holophonic-PC. They are very good unshielded silver cables.

The thing to understand about capacitance, is that it is always important in interconnects, but particularly critical when driving from most DACs, because the output impedance of most DACs is much higher than the typical SS preamp. A quick back of the envelope calculation will show that even 10-15 pF/foot in a cable will result in roll-off at 20kHz with a DAC and the more typical 50pF/foot is really bad. I would beware the manufacturer that does not publish the capacitance per foot in their product specs.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

What values are you using for your calculation?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
What values are you using for your calculation?

try 1K ohms output impedance for the DAC. 2 meters of cable. 100pF/foot for the cable. Destination is 50K input impedance. 10% loss at 20kHz

100 ohm output impedance gives 1% loss at 20kHz

Steve N.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Low capacitance is only interesting for interconnects. For speaker cables the inductance and resistance should be as low as possible, within limits of what your particular amp can handle. Some speaker cables that are two flat ribbons laminated together can create too much of a capacitive load for some amps.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
try 50 ohms output impedance for the DAC. 2 meters of cable. 50pF/foot for the cable.

Steve N.

This will give a cut off around 1 MHz for a 2 m cable. How can it affect the audio signal audibly using classical models of audibility?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
This will give a cut off around 1 MHz for a 2 m cable. How can it affect the audio signal audibly using classical models of audibility?

What kid of a metric is cutoff? I can hear 1dB of roll-off. See my updated calculation above.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Low capacitance is only interesting for interconnects. For speaker cables the inductance and resistance should be as low as possible, within limits of what your particular amp can handle. Some speaker cables that are two flat ribbons laminated together can create too much of a capacitive load for some amps.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

not completely the case Steve, electrostatics benefit from lower capacitance cabling.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
not completely the case Steve, electrostatics benefit from lower capacitance cabling.

That may be the case. Does the OP have electrostatics?

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
It's trivially easy to make low-C cables, but other more balanced approaches work much better ime.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It's the 50K input impedance that counts, not the 1K ohms output impedance.

No. Both count. To calculate cut-off you must apply Thevenin theorem. The output impedance is equivalent to referring to an ideal source in series with the output resistance, so the output resistor is grounded and appears in parallel with the input resistance.

If the output impedance is zero cut-off is at infinitum - it does not exist.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
It's the 50K input impedance that counts, not the 1K ohms output impedance.

They both matter. It's a voltage divider.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing