Cosidering Ayon CD35se

gammajo

Oct 28, 2013
NC
www.SyncCreation.com
Hi All
I have been quiet on threads for an extended time due to family illness. I enjoy my Ayon CD5s with NOS tubes which I have had for 6 years and use as Transport DAC and preamp, loving the simplicity and cost/space effectiveness of less cords with this all in one. I am now considering the new Ayon CD35se. It plays SACD and optionally converts up-samples Red Book to DSD 256 which folks are saying is a wonderful enhancement to its native sound which is already excellent. 90% of my listening is to CD and 10% SACD, in too rural an area to stream (1 to 3 mbps). I have heard Esoteric and DCS at shows and while very clean and clear, seem less excited about them as less liquid, vibrant, and organic compared to Ayon sound. Asking here - has any body auditioned the Ayon 35se and thoughts compared to what other players?

This will be big purchase for me given current medical expenses, but I can swing it without breaking the bank. Using Von Scweikert Audio VR55 Aktives, VSA Delphi Ultra Cable throughout and Nuforce Reference 20 monos, modified.

Thanks

Joe

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
I'm saddened to read about the illness and the financial burden. I have no experience with the Aron CD35SE. I just want you to know that I hope for a recovery from the illness soon and that you enjoy your new Aton CD35SE or any alternative you may pick.

I would also like to thank you for your write up on the Ultra cables. They are one of my most satisfying acquisitions.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Hi All
I have been quiet on threads for an extended time due to family illness. I enjoy my Ayon CD5s with NOS tubes which I have had for 6 years and use as Transport DAC and preamp, loving the simplicity and cost/space effectiveness of less cords with this all in one. I am now considering the new Ayon CD35se. It plays SACD and optionally converts up-samples Red Book to DSD 256 which folks are saying is a wonderful enhancement to its native sound which is already excellent. 90% of my listening is to CD and 10% SACD, in too rural an area to stream (1 to 3 mbps). I have heard Esoteric and DCS at shows and while very clean and clear, seem less excited about them as less liquid, vibrant, and organic compared to Ayon sound. Asking here - has any body auditioned the Ayon 35se and thoughts compared to what other players?

This will be big purchase for me given current medical expenses, but I can swing it without breaking the bank. Using Von Scweikert Audio VR55 Aktives, VSA Delphi Ultra Cable throughout and Nuforce Reference 20 monos, modified.

Thanks

Joe

Jump on it. Gerhard will make only 50. His dealers are more than this number worldwide. Only one will be coming to Thailand. I personally know him. It is true he used tape as reference to tune this cd player. There wont be much discount on this cd player because he knows it offers very good value.

Kind regards,
Tang

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Dear Kedar,

Are you sure that CD35 was the SE version?
To my understanding, there was only one in Poland that Gerhard brought for testing and was not yet in commercial production. The SE version I was told is a few notches better than the normal version.

kind regards,
Tang

It was called signature? Beyond that I am not sure will check with him tomorrow

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Nakor

May 14, 2011
Ayon CD-35 HF is the new limited edition version. Signature is (or was?) an optional upgrade to the base model, that added a PCM - DSD converter and Mundorf gold/silver capacitors. I’m not sure if the base version is available anymore, or if they all come with the DSD conversion included.

gammajo

Oct 28, 2013
NC
www.SyncCreation.com
bonzo75 Thanks for directing me to your review. Interestingly when I purchased my Ayon CD5s I felt that it beat out the Meridian 808.3 at that time for similar reasons

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi to clarify, I heard the Signature, and not the Signature HFE

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

gammajo

Oct 28, 2013
NC
www.SyncCreation.com
I have put a few hundred hours on my Ayon CD35se at this point. Must say, I love it! Compared the the Ayon CD5s (which was excellent) the new 35 is much better at sound stage depth, air, localization, height and holography. And typical of Ayon tubed to me, sounds more like music in terms of aliveness, liquidity and warmth than the times I have heard Esoteric, Meridian DCS etc. Excellent mico and macro dynamics. Am surprised that I am using the conversion of Red Book to 256 DXD, have always run native before, preferring native as more natural to all upsampling that I had heard to this point. This new conversion method is making excellent recordings slightly better, good recordings much better, not doing much for 1960's rock but not making it any worse. Been playing some SACD but while good not the spectacular improvement over Red Book I was hoping for, admittedly few titles and not my favorite music selections anyway. Preamp section holding its own, so I am running it direct to amps. Worth an audition for great Red Book.

booboobaer

Aug 22, 2010
Columbus,Ohio
I have put a few hundred hours on my Ayon CD35se at this point. Must say, I love it! Compared the the Ayon CD5s (which was excellent) the new 35 is much better at sound stage depth, air, localization, height and holography. And typical of Ayon tubed to me, sounds more like music in terms of aliveness, liquidity and warmth than the times I have heard Esoteric, Meridian DCS etc. Excellent mico and macro dynamics. Am surprised that I am using the conversion of Red Book to 256 DXD, have always run native before, preferring native as more natural to all upsampling that I had heard to this point. This new conversion method is making excellent recordings slightly better, good recordings much better, not doing much for 1960's rock but not making it any worse. Been playing some SACD but while good not the spectacular improvement over Red Book I was hoping for, admittedly few titles and not my favorite music selections anyway. Preamp section holding its own, so I am running it direct to amps. Worth an audition for great Red Book.

How many hours break in did it take to break in to get more air?

gammajo

Oct 28, 2013
NC
www.SyncCreation.com
Booboobaer The additional air was present somewhat from the beginning, and most improvement occurred within first 100 hours, then slight improve as things went along.

Awsome - At your request an update, another year since first posting and still have and love the unit. I am using stock tubes, where as on the CD35 I liked the expensive 1970 Reflectors much better, here see no need.

Friend with good ears heard my Ayon CD35 system recently, really liked the system (with VR55 Speakers and room contributing) and stated that it was the best he had heard on some of the demo tracks I played. He also brought over a two box tubed DAC based on R2R ladder, rated best he has heard. We inserted it instead of the Ayon's internal DAC and we both heard slight improvements in some areas and perhaps less mid and upper bass heft and warmth. I would have needed a longer audition to be sure of subtle differences but certain Ayon held its own.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks that’s great news
How have you found SACDs I had read the improvement in CD was the most impressive thing but not so much SACD
Any comment ?

gammajo

Oct 28, 2013
NC
www.SyncCreation.com
I have about a dozen SACD including audiophile demos. All I had to play SACD before was a Cambridge Audio Universal player. With both machines, they are clear, and with the Ayon better,l but I still find them not as satisfying as RedBook. It could be becuase my favorite recordings are not on SACD. For example I heard a very slight more detail with SACD Brothers in Arms Dire Straits, but do not like overall as well as RedBook - could be the mastering.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing