Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 tt

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
A big part of the thrill is in the chase Marc but be prepared to be heartbroken at first, you will find the one for you someday ;)

It took me 3 years to find and build the TTS, and it was worth every second.. :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Paul, I'm looking fwds to getting my current tt up and running by the end of the year.
I've ordered a custom Al mount for my linear air arm, and two bespoke psus for tt speed controller and Straingauge cart energiser. Am looking at a Gelmec isolation pad to go under the rim drive motor pod, and fitting Klei Silver RCA plugs on the one piece Ag tonearm cbl, and the Stacore Adv platform awaits.
Only if I can't get this all to gel and maintain a reasonable edge over my uber performing digital, will I feel compelled to look elsewhere for my analog.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Ked, I should have said "fatal attraction".
And tbh, it's a disadvantage in the high end world, esp analog, but also probably spkrs, to conciously turn away from tried and tested specimens like SME 30 or TW AC3 or Brinkmann Balance, and actively choose instead PTP or Torqueo or Primary Control or Spec or Saskia or EMT, or indeed AS (if I was a big enough player at that level).
Maybe I'll do a total 180 and go new SP10R LOL!

I'm going SP10R at some point. it will be by far the best value.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Sometimes we let our individualism, uniqueness, ego get in our way of choosing things. Mainstream tts can actually fill up all sonic and real world requirement we have. But we just want to ignor them because it would be “cool” to have a niche tt not only sound good but unique enough for others to perceive the owner of the system as one of the gurus. For those who want to own just one tt and the best sound from a system, I see no reason why not choosing the mainstream tts like NVS, Kronos, GP Monaco and a few more that you often find at shows with more appproachable price point. These tts are so good if you optimize them to match your system, you can have an unbelivable sound that you canbe so happy and want to share your experience with others. Don’t forget that if your system sound phenomenal, it is really the whole chain. Bonzo went to Mike’s and said it is one of the best system he heard. Did he hear the American Sound? Of course not, it was the NVS. He also went to David’s and listened to his system with AS. I suspect Bonzo might even prefers the sound of Mike’s system with the more mainstream NVS. My point is unless you are tt fanatic and has no restriction on budget, choosing a really good mainstream tt you found in many rooms at shows are a lot more sensible than one rarely seen anywhere at the same price point. Mainstream with dealer’s service to backup..Way to go.

Kind regards,
Tang

Tang, this is an excellent post. I sense many 'asonic' factors impacting some (not all) TT buying choices: looks, provenance and designer heritage, desire for the unique or obscure or limited, cachet, etc.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Tang, this is an excellent post. I sense many 'asonic' factors impacting some (not all) TT buying choices: looks, provenance and designer heritage, desire for the unique or obscure or limited, cachet, etc.

There are asonic factors affecting the purchase of every component, it is just that the buyer should by cognizant of what those factors are. If he is paying for looks, service, and because his wife said so, he should not delude himself into thinking that the component is sonically better. All of us have different hobby motives, problem happens when there is a conflict between why we actually do, and what we claim the reason for what we do

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tima, I'm actively trying to get a demo of the GPA Parabolica.
It'll have to be in Europe for personal reasons (despite me living in the UK), and it's certainly a candidate.
So I'm not totally obsessed with under the radar products.
And no doubt my experience of Kuzma Stabi M was 100% positive.
And it's highly illogical to think about under the radar products, esp in the analog world.
However had I been one for investing in the usual suspects, I wouldn't have found my unique synergy of rim drive tt, air arm, cart not using a phono, cdp w unique transport and dac output stage, powerful SETs and full range/no crossover/v high eff spkrs.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sometimes we let our individualism, uniqueness, ego get in our way of choosing things. Mainstream tts can actually fill up all sonic and real world requirement we have. But we just want to ignor them because it would be “cool” to have a niche tt not only sound good but unique enough for others to perceive the owner of the system as one of the gurus. For those who want to own just one tt and the best sound from a system, I see no reason why not choosing the mainstream tts like NVS, Kronos, GP Monaco and a few more that you often find at shows with more appproachable price point. These tts are so good if you optimize them to match your system, you can have an unbelivable sound that you canbe so happy and want to share your experience with others. Don’t forget that if your system sound phenomenal, it is really the whole chain. Bonzo went to Mike’s and said it is one of the best system he heard. Did he hear the American Sound? Of course not, it was the NVS. He also went to David’s and listened to his system with AS. I suspect Bonzo might even prefers the sound of Mike’s system with the more mainstream NVS. My point is unless you are tt fanatic and has no restriction on budget, choosing a really good mainstream tt you found in many rooms at shows are a lot more sensible than one rarely seen anywhere at the same price point. Mainstream with dealer’s service to backup..Way to go.

Kind regards,
Tang

The 3 mainstream turntables you mention are all quite a bit more expensive than the Spec Corp table and most other tables available from mainstream importers and dealers.

The NVS, GP Monaco and Kronos imo are hardly mainstream. They would barely have a half a dozen dealers in America, let alone in other countries where many others including myself live. There are certainly zero of these table available in Australia for a listen or demo. More mainstream in Australia is Tech Das, SME, Dohmman, Brinkman, where models are actually available for demo - but again it comes down to the willingness of the local importer to keep stock.

Most of us rely on local dealers actually stocking items for demo, otherwise you have to buy unseen.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
XV, the best bet in the UK for multiple dealer situations is SME and Clearaudio, w Kronos and AF at a v well respected Central London dealership, and Kuzma at a well established place, TW at a smaller place, Brinkmann at a couple, and AMG at my dealer.
Exposure to GPA Monaco is no go in UK for me personally despite one or two dealers.
NVS, Dohmann, Kodo The Beat not happening here.
Spec maybe if UK distribr comes thru.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Hi Marc

Entirely my point to Tang . Those manufacturers are not mainstream.

And yes, Kuzma and Clearaudio are available in AU. Funnily enough, the Spec Corp table is available in Australia and is cheaper than in the USA.

And of course, vintage classics are always a great option :)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
XV, please do tell, how much is Spec in $AU and $US?
Is that with the EMT arm?
Maybe down to Asia and Australia having a more common market zone, more liquidity and less taxes on trade?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
XV, the best bet in the UK for multiple dealer situations is SME and Clearaudio, w Kronos and AF at a v well respected Central London dealership, and Kuzma at a well established place, TW at a smaller place, Brinkmann at a couple, and AMG at my dealer.
Exposure to GPA Monaco is no go in UK for me personally despite one or two dealers.
NVS, Dohmann, Kodo The Beat not happening here.
Spec maybe if UK distribr comes thru.

Lotus Hifi is doing Dohmann (and Spiral Groove)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dohmann out for me, my Stacore is precluded by its design, and it's just loaded w too much tech for my liking.
And I found the Ypsilon cdp outperformed it in the same room at Munich last yr.
Spiral Groove appeals, JFrech really rates the Centroid arm (replacing his Schroeder LT on his Monaco 1.5), and Fraser of Kog always rated the tt.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
XV, please do tell, how much is Spec in $AU and $US?
Is that with the EMT arm?
Maybe down to Asia and Australia having a more common market zone, more liquidity and less taxes on trade?

In AU, its 22k or approx $US 16.5k ex tax, ex arm. In the US, its US25k with an emt 997 tonearm, or it was in 2015.

US distributors seem to charge a lot more for Japanese gear than just about any country. I am sure in SG, HK it would be even cheaper than the AU price.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's a pretty good price
With top end tts routinely now pushing £35k + incl SME 30, TW Black Knight, GPA Monaco 2.0, Dohmann, top Spiral Groove.
That leaves in the "affordable" stakes from biggish concerns (and those models that are not trickle down "entry models") as Brinkmann Balance, AMG, Kuzma Stabi M, and this Spec.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
The 3 mainstream turntables you mention are all quite a bit more expensive than the Spec Corp table and most other tables available from mainstream importers and dealers.

The NVS, GP Monaco and Kronos imo are hardly mainstream. They would barely have a half a dozen dealers in America, let alone in other countries where many others including myself live. There are certainly zero of these table available in Australia for a listen or demo. More mainstream in Australia is Tech Das, SME, Dohmman, Brinkman, where models are actually available for demo - but again it comes down to the willingness of the local importer to keep stock.

Most of us rely on local dealers actually stocking items for demo, otherwise you have to buy unseen.

Kronos and GP Monaco are both available in Australia
I own a GP Monaco

Got good back up through Australian supplier / factory

NVS I haven’t a clue about

If you cannot get to see in Aus, a short flight to Singapore they have it all, heard Kronos in signapore a week ago and Hanoi

Both in Singapore and Vietnam that I have visited recently ( last week) the Kronos is selling very well, so it hard to claim they are fringe seller ? Lois is very active in Asia with his turntable

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Hi Marc

I love my Monaco

But suggest the Kuzma M should also be on your list

Beautiful engineering and combined with 4 point rock solid

There is a wonderful picture expose in the thread on WBF on Kuzma M

Has great motor with Great speed accuracy for a belt drive

To me torque, speed accuracy , and low noise floor are essential

It’s hard to go back from these three ingredients once you have heard them optimised

Ease of set up is also nice

Both the Kuzma and Monaco are total breeze to set up

I suspect the Kuzma will have a better resale than the Monaco as it’s belt drive and a Kuzma

In the flesh the Monaco doesn’t look like an Uber table

It’s so tiny the footprint , until you hear it

Works well with triplanar, which not everyone loves, but you can get a mount for the 4 point which is a wonderful arm

I have 2 triplanars, so went with that..

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Kronos and GP Monaco are both available in Australia
I own a GP Monaco

Got good back up through Australian supplier / factory

NVS I haven’t a clue about

If you cannot get to see in Aus, a short flight to Singapore they have it all, heard Kronos in signapore a week ago and Hanoi

Both in Singapore and Vietnam that I have visited recently ( last week) the Kronos is selling very well, so it hard to claim they are fringe seller ? Lois is very active in Asia with his turntable

Understand there are distributors for both Kronos and GP Monaco and both have excellent after sales service. But can you listen to one? Or are they sitting there waiting for someone to place an order?

I had one of the original two Monaco 1.0 tables the distributor brought in for 3 months - when I was minding it for a friend - great table btw - I am not sure if they have brought anymore over for demo purposes.

You upgrading to Monaco 2.0?

Good to hear Kronos is doing well in Asia. Not my cup of tea.

cheers

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Understand there are distributors for both Kronos and GP Monaco and both have excellent after sales service. But can you listen to one? Or are they sitting there waiting for someone to place an order?

I had one of the original two Monaco 1.0 tables the distributor brought in for 3 months - when I was minding it for a friend ( great table btw ) - I am not sure if they have brought anymore over for demo purposes.

Good to hear Kronos is doing well in Asia. Seemed that way in HK as well. Not my cup of tea.

cheers

Yes it’s a good point, as got mine a while ago

It’s a general issue in Australia I agree, though as you point out Warwick is much better about having AF tt to listen to, As he allowed me,to hear all 3, lovely guy

That’s why I think for those wanting to listen to these, a visit to Asia may be more instructive

The distributor in Signapore is one of the few who know’s how to set up a system, and has Kronos set up , with Lois

Cecil is a great guy,very knowledgeable and helpful if I wanted to hear a Kronos well set up , if Boris doesn’t have one in,that’s where I would go

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Awsmone, Stabi M w 4 Point, either 12" or 14" is the clever, informed choice.
I'm really of the "make it as simple as you can, but no simpler" ethos.
Super damped vibration free chassis, uber torquey motor, mass loading where it's most needed, and dealer backup, is kinda what appeals to me.
And at half the cost of other super tables like the GPA 2.0, top Spiral Groove, SME 30, TW Black Knight, Kronos Pro, Dohmann etc etc, it's the main contender.
Now, I'll be going back to belt drive which I vowed I'd never return to after moving to direct rim drive, and away from my air bearing linear tracker, so verveiness, direct communication of musical message and detail not at the expense of natural warmth, are key red lines for me.
But but BUT...
just got news the Spec beauty can be had here for £15k.
And so my choice may come down to Stabi M and 14" 4 Point for just over £20k v Spec GMP-8000 and SAEC 506 12" for just under £20k.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I'm going SP10R at some point. it will be by far the best value.

Does the SP10R already have a price?
When will it be released?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing