Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 tt

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Lee, you'd be amazed how hard it is to get a demo at home, even on well regarded models.
But I have to agree with you.
I really really struggle w the UK Kuzma dealer, I wouldn't touch the two GPA Monaco UK dealers, I not going to pay above the odds (£20k) for a TW or SME etc.
I don't rate the £15k AMG.
That leaves Brinkmann and one of my other "left field" tts, the Primary Control Kinea DD
I suspect I might have to pay for the luxury of a home demo of the Kinea, but at least I'd get one.

Brinkmann's a somewhat odd company as they have the Bardo/Oasis with a really good low torque DD motor, but then the Spyder/Balance is belt drive.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Keith, Mr. AP here (Analysis Paralysis) LOL.
I struggle with a lot of low torque belt drives, like the Brinkmann LaGrange and TW AC3, haven't always been convinced by SME, and AMG really doesn't excite me
* no slight intended on these estimable tts and their owners *
For me, high torque is a concept I always return to, or at the very least a drivetrain that transmits motor output as directly close to what idlers and my direct rim drive provide.
This tends to select the Kuzma Stabi M, but I remain a bit unsure of its dark overall balance and tendency for heft over air, but these are just individual tonal preferences.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
It’s hard to believe Mark that a dealer wouldn’t offer you a home demo on a piece of kit that costs that much, but if that’s the case then I’d be looking at secondhand at least then you can move it on for little loss if things don’t work out.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Keith, Mr. AP here (Analysis Paralysis) LOL.
I struggle with a lot of low torque belt drives, like the Brinkmann LaGrange and TW AC3, haven't always been convinced by SME, and AMG really doesn't excite me
* no slight intended on these estimable tts and their owners *
For me, high torque is a concept I always return to, or at the very least a drivetrain that transmits motor output as directly close to what idlers and my direct rim drive provide.
This tends to select the Kuzma Stabi M, but I remain a bit unsure of its dark overall balance and tendency for heft over air, but these are just individual tonal preferences.

what do you think of the Oasis white paper on Bmann's website, Mr. AP? haha.

I have a reviewer friend who just replaced his Balance with Kuzma Stabi XL DC...hope to hear it soon. He just wanted a change after many years of Brinkmann.

I have another friend with the Stabi M who just picked up a used Bardo for fun - I'll ask him what the deal is and report back

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
what do you think of the Oasis white paper on Bmann's website, Mr. AP? haha.

I have a reviewer friend who just replaced his Balance with Kuzma Stabi XL DC...hope to hear it soon. He just wanted a change after many years of Brinkmann.

I have another friend with the Stabi M who just picked up a used Bardo for fun - I'll ask him what the deal is and report back

Interested in knowing between the stabi M (which is the only kuzma I like) and a DD

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The q to you Keith is why you feel the desire to swap out the Bardo when the SP10R arrives?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
The q to you Keith is why you feel the desire to swap out the Bardo when the SP10R arrives?

1) I dj'd for years on Technics, so major nostalgia
2) Technics can spend $$ on r&d unlike audiophile companies and at the same time cost half as much

Some of it though will depend on plinth options. I can't use a big, tall TT being in a wheelchair.

Nakor

May 14, 2011
Well Len, eagle eyed audiophiles will spot it has no arm on it, so it's safe to gather it was on static display.
Europe doesn't appear to be a big mkt, so maybe no suprise it wasn't playing.
She IS a beaut, yes?

I don't recall hearing it playing either, but according to Hifipig this was also there in 2016.

http://hifipig.com/you-spin-me-right-round-turntables-at-high-end-part-2/

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
...Some of it though will depend on plinth options. I can't use a big, tall TT being in a wheelchair.

Since it's the same footprint the plinth options are pretty well known. Even better (I know some will gasp in horror) have a rack or isolation table built to the height you want and have holes cut to drop the motor and tonearm in!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Erik, are you planning to get in the Primary Control Kinea? It was a fruitless task to try and hear the Torqueo, but the Kinea is on my radar too.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Yep. PM sent!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing