Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 tt

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 tt

Spec Corp Co Jp Audio GMP-8000, apologies I can't highlight a link.
    I thought I'd seen all the substantial tts out there, but this is a new one on me.
    And I think it's love at first sight.
    16" outsized near 20kg Gunmetal platter for maximum moment of inertia/flywheel effect.
    Core-less ripple-free torquey DC motor.
    Laminated built-up Finnish Birch ply plinth.
    String drive.
    Retro 70s design vibe thing going on.
    ---
    Thoughts, opinions, first hand reports.
    Trans Fi Salvation tt & Terminator arm, Soundsmith Straingauge SG200 cart/Eera Tentation cdp/Nat Audio Utopia line stage & SE2SE SET monos w.NOS '48 GE tubes/Zu Definitions 4 spkrs w.Duelund caps & Lundahl transformers/Stacore isolation platforms, Symposium Isis rack & Rollerblocks isolation/Sablon Reservas & Elites cbls/Westwick 8kVA balanced pwr, Oyaides dedicated lines w.Furutech US sockets, SR Black fuses, Entreq Silver Tellus grndng.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Name:  title.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  34.5 KB

here ya go.....

http://www.spec-corp.co.jp/e/audio/GMP-8000/

I heard the Spec Corp Jp GMP-8000 in the Devore room at RMAF. it did sound very good in that system as far as that can tell anything, and I loved it's look. very classy.

I would caution you that it's footprint is huge, so do your homework on what space it eats up.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

I can't even highlight a link, Mike.
    How on Earth am I going to handle streaming?
    Anyhow, you like this one?
    I really struggle w the trend over the last few years to more and more tower/oil rig designs.
    I'm smitten by this design, and it's clear, well thought out engineering choices that seen to have been taken to the max.

My Stacore is just over 24" wide, this is 26" so should/could work.

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    I can't even highlight a link, Mike.
    How on Earth am I going to handle streaming?
    my son has been patient with me. he says 'Dad, just youtube the windows tutorials and watch them, then watch them again. you will get it.' and I did.

so there you go. if you want to learn there is no reason you cannot. no excuses.

I really struggle w the trend over the last few years to more and more tower/oil rig designs.
    I'm smitten by this design, and it's clear, well thought out engineering choices that seen to have been taken to the max.
    hard to assign it a ranking with such a brief experience. maybe others know it better.
    Wave Kin. NVS tt, AS-2000 ord. (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*MSB Select II dac w/33 Femto clock + mono powerbases, SGM serv + (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darT NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart 458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, *Tripoint Troy Sig + Elite, Entreq Sil Tel + Pos, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kin. A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Bob and Mike, I'll get there.
    Back to the topic in hand...

A few things that would be reminded:
    1. It can only mount one 12" tonearm
    2. The gun metal is very easy to be oxidized and lost the bright golden colour but it is possible to restored to its original colour with special lotion from japan and some patience.
    3. To order a tone arm base other than the shipped one might not be cheap (check with your dealer firstly if you would like to play with a few tonearms)
    4. The sound can be tuned by the tension of the string
    5. It is not like the some other high tech turntable with feedback and control circuit to control the spinning accuracy
    but depends on the exceptional gigantic inertia moment of the gunmetal platter and highly precision DC core less motor
    6. The SPEC people is very willing to answer the queries .
    By the way if you like the big platter idler turntable, you might like Thomas' 14:
    http://thomas-schick.com/en/produkte?cat=plattenspieler

Jsn, thanks, do you know how this thing sounds?

[QUOTE=spiritofmusic;474136]
    I'm smitten by this design, and it's clear, well thought out.

Hey SOM, great thread!!

You are right, "I am smitten by this design, and it's clear, well thought out engineering choices that seem to have been taken to the max." It is a super piece of kit, it is a first class SOTA turntable.

Mike Lavigne, I have heard the SPEC turntable many times. The first time was right after I left David Karmeli's in Utah; while at David's, we spent considerable time listening to the perineal EMT and the AS turntables. The AS was driven by the humble, but always spot-on Micro Seike motor, in this case, the RY-3000. The Spec is the bees knees, super machine that is on par with the EMT turntable with the EMT/SME 3012 tonearms. Another pleasant surprise, was when hearing the SPEC turntable paired with a cartridge like the Nuemann at Davids' and a world class phinostage with ~70 plus dB of gain, it is simply a magical frontend that sits comfortably with its peers at the top of the turntable food change...Mike Lavigne, your words here here, it is what you would call, "an out of earth experience!"

The SPEC products are distributed in the USA by Jonathan H at Tone Imports and found through his dealer network.

While the Neumann carts, best to start with Gypsies....

Cheers!
    ALF

Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast