Atlas SL arrived

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have Atlas sl with CH P1 and in current input is a perfect match
In voltage input I use 70 dB and can choose impedence from 100 to 47.000 and I will try with new Lyra sut when will arrive With P1 in MM

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Put on your ear phone. Here is another taste of AtlasSL. Recorded from bare bone Samsung S8.
Next time will be Scheherazade that you like.

Tang

Thanks Tang, sounds very natural. can you please post recording using iPhone to compare?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
But tbh, I was just teasing you when I asked that question. I knew what the reply would be, and thought maybe Tang will read that and now get a Durand.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
But tbh, I was just teasing you when I asked that question. I knew what the reply would be, and thought maybe Tang will read that and now get a Durand.

I believe another member here, who has a Durand Telos but not a saphire one, now has 2 SATs. Why didnt he buy a second Telos I dont know :rolleyes:. He also uses both AtlasSL and EtnaSL I think. If I have a NVS I will be interested in Durand but I dont have a NVS.

I also have no iPhone Kedar.

Tang

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Hi Jonathan,
Really good to see you here, came looking for you & Stig at CES but was told that you didn't come this year.

What is the tonearm, looks like a hybrid M2-R?

David
Hi Tang. It may be better if I add two photos to show such a setup. Not beautiful, but gets the job done (smile).

View attachment 38492

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I believe another member here, who has a Durand Telos but not a saphire one, now has 2 SATs. Why didnt he buy a second Telos I dont know :rolleyes:. He also uses both AtlasSL and EtnaSL I think. If I have a NVS I will be interested in Durand but I dont have a NVS.

I also have no iPhone Kedar.

Tang

do you know if this other member's standard Telos has the wood arm wand, or the composite one?

best regards,

Mike

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Hi Tang. It may be better if I add two photos to show such a setup. Not beautiful, but gets the job done (smile).

The black Erodion. Once it arrives, please describe how you get along with it.

I am honored! Thank you .

View attachment 38492
View attachment 38493
Jonathan,
Thanks for posting this. One of the concerns I always have with a tonearm that has a removable headshell...is due to the inevitable break in the wiring at the junction. ( Plus, the possibility that there will be additional vibration at the junction). Your photo displays a way around the wiring break, but the vibration issue is going to be still an issue. Am I right to presume that you prefer a tonearm that has a fixed headshell with the wiring going all the way from the headshell/cartridge to the phono stage? This has always been my preferred design. ( Having owned tonearms with the aforementioned removable headshell and -at least to my ears - consequential losses).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
do you know if this other member's standard Telos has the wood arm wand, or the composite one?

best regards,

Mike

which one is yours, composite right?

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Jonathan,
Thanks for posting this. One of the concerns I always have with a tonearm that has a removable headshell...is due to the inevitable break in the wiring at the junction. ( Plus, the possibility that there will be additional vibration at the junction). Your photo displays a way around the wiring break, but the vibration issue is going to be still an issue. Am I right to presume that you prefer a tonearm that has a fixed headshell with the wiring going all the way from the headshell/cartridge to the phono stage? This has always been my preferred design. ( Having owned tonearms with the aforementioned removable headshell and -at least to my ears - consequential losses).

Frankly I am a little shocked by the pictures. The mettalic armwand is no longer shielding the wires, which are now free to pick up noise and hum. Am I missing something here?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
which one is yours, composite right?

my standard Telos is a composite arm wand (which is what you heard when I played the MC Anna), but I also still have the wood composite arm wand. as significant, is that the wood composite arm wand has the original standard phono cable, and the composite arm wand has a better (now standard) phono cable too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The kairos, I understand, is composite?

fbhifi

Dec 20, 2013
Okatie, SC
Mike, You owe it to yourself to try an Etna SL. It handily surpasses the Anna on my NVS/Telos Composite. The Etna SL completes what the Anna starts. It has a full harmonic structure which I find lacking in the Anna. Think- trumpet blatt, drum skin resonance, full piano tone, as well as, startling dynamics. The Anna can’t complete on these counts. There’s an undeniable clarity to the Anna, but it lacks those last elements that makes analog reproduction sound real, not reproduced.

Franz in Florida

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike, You owe it to yourself to try an Etna SL. It handily surpasses the Anna on my NVS/Telos Composite. The Etna SL completes what the Anna starts. It has a full harmonic structure which I find lacking in the Anna. Think- trumpet blatt, drum skin resonance, full piano tone, as well as, startling dynamics. The Anna can’t complete on these counts. There’s an undeniable clarity to the Anna, but it lacks those last elements that makes analog reproduction sound real, not reproduced.

Franz in Florida

hello Frantz,

my long loved MC Anna is currently on the shelf, surpassed by my Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement. and I also am enjoying the wild ride of the vdH Colibri Strad Statement .7mv.

but I do hear many great things about the Etna SL and the Atlas SL. and recall my time with the Olympos SL.

I think I have some ground to cover in other areas before I again am cartridge hunting, but great to connect with you.

Mike

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

best regards,

Mike

Hi Mike,

I don’t know. My agent who is a dealer for SAT in Thailand told me.

I was interested in Telos at one point because I was interested in a dd and thinking of copying your tt setup :D. But the sapphire version of your arm was wayyyyyyy too $$$$$$. I figure if I can’t go all the way like you why bother right? That was before the AS tsunami that hit all four of us.

If you are interested in original SAT, the production is already stopped at 70. These are very difficult and time consuming to produce. New models after 70 will be in 9” and 12.” They will be produced differently. US dealer probably has inventory of old one.

Kind regards,
Tang

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi Mike,

I don’t know. My agent who is a dealer for SAT in Thailand told me.

I was interested in Telos at one point because I was interested in a dd and thinking of copying your tt setup :D. But the sapphire version of your arm was wayyyyyyy too $$$$$$. I figure if I can’t go all the way like you why bother right? That was before the AS tsunami that hit all four of us.

If you are interested in original SAT, the production is already stopped at 70. These are very difficult and time consuming to produce. New models after 70 will be in 9” and 12.” They will be produced differently. US dealer probably has inventory of old one.

Kind regards,
Tang

hi Tang,

thanks. i understand.

the SAT might be too rich for me in the short term with all my other bases to cover. the 9" SAT (new or original) will not work on the NVS, so if an SAT is in my future it would likely be the new 12" version. i will be watching to see how the new versions are received.

best regards,

Mike

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Frankly I am a little shocked by the pictures. The mettalic armwand is no longer shielding the wires, which are now free to pick up noise and hum. Am I missing something here?
That many MC phono cartridges have low source impedances?

Although the following is a biomedical link, the same principles described here apply to audio.

https://www.biosemi.com/faq/shielding vs active electrodes.htm

Further, some degree of noise cancellation will be conferred by the twist applied to the headshell wire harness.

However, if your cartridge is a higher-impedance MM or MI, shielding over the wires may be necessary to avoid noise pick-up.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
That many MC phono cartridges have low source impedances?

Although the following is a biomedical link, the same principles described here apply to audio.

https://www.biosemi.com/faq/shielding vs active electrodes.htm

Further, some degree of noise cancellation will be conferred by the twist applied to the headshell wire harness.

However, if your cartridge is a higher-impedance MM or MI, shielding over the wires may be necessary to avoid noise pick-up.

Yes, the wire twisting will offer some cancellation, but in absolute terms, I am not so sure about the rest - case in point, my VPI unipivot JMW arm: turn up the preamp to max (66dB phono gain + ~30dB preamp), and then lift the arm off the pivot point; electrical ground is lost and there is a little hum picked up by the wires. Which is also why I hate no-metallic armwands

jcarr

Mar 24, 2012
Tokyo
www.lyraaudio.com
Hi Jonathan,
Really good to see you here, came looking for you & Stig at CES but was told that you didn't come this year.

What is the tonearm, looks like a hybrid M2-R?
Hi David: As you have surmised, the tonearm is a mongrel of various parts pieced together . Note that all excess parts that could resonate and color the sound have been stripped off. Only the essentials remain.

It's too bad that we couldn't meet up, but Stig's moving at the beginning of 2018 overlapped with CES, while the development cycle that I am in doesn't yet allow for any lengthy interruptions. Do you sometimes go to Munich?

BTW, congratulations on reviving the American Sound turntable!!

I reckon that I have heard an audio system able to convey complex phrasing and periods on perhaps 5 occasions in my life, and your playing the AS with the Bionors was one of those. Truly unforgettable.

FWIW, the SAT tonearm is another of those all-too-rare components with similar abilities. I would be interested in your impressions if you ever get a chance to play the SAT and AS-2000.

kind regards, jonathan

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jonathan, thank you for corresponding with us here! We are honored to see you here!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing