Atlas SL arrived

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have a room dedicated that is the last floor of my home of around 85 sqm and very small part is my office.
The general sound of the room ls good and luckily i have no problem on the bass even if all the wall are empty so there are some reverberation in the mid
I have to do some,but absolutely for now i have no idea how to do
Daad i don't like,RPG and top Swedish company,i don't remember the name i don't need big room treatment and i don't want to spend a lot of money,some tell me has to check with computer my room,other told me is not necessary,some tell to put panel like Vicoustic,some told me absorber,some told better diffusion,and for the panel i don't know if is better vicoustic,Oudimmo,Astri,ecc,ecc
My friend of Kuro cable told me this panel are not good and the best solution is put felt of pure wool that he made,but i don't like the design,so i have to think well how to do.

Other think i have to change are the rack,i have very old and very cheap rack where don't stop any vibration. ,but add,and if you touch them ring like a bell
I was thinking Artesania,good quality with reasonable price

My system is
Bergmann Sindre and TD 124 Schopper with Koetsu sa 1100 mk VII
Studer A 80
CH L1
CH P1
CH X1 with 2 board for L1 and P1
CH M1 mono
Italian speaker Montagna,3 way,all hand made including the screw and driver,you can see www.hiend.it

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I have a second vintage system where i listen cd
Wadia S7I
Radford sta 15 mk III
Quad Corner Ribbon

IMG_1149.JPG

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Gian, if you are thinking of room acoustic treatments...always a very good idea, IMO. I like the Real Traps panels. They are easy to mount and offer a large selection of different types of absorption and diffraction panels. I recently acquired a pair of Shakti Hallograph's...also very effective. ( although they do not look like they can work, they do some amazing things with the imaging). I have a room with a vault ceiling as well, the Real Traps Mondo and Mini Traps work great in this configuration.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Gian, if you are thinking of room acoustic treatments...always a very good idea, IMO. I like the Real Traps panels. They are easy to mount and offer a large selection of different types of absorption and diffraction panels. I recently acquired a pair of Shakti Hallograph's...also very effective. ( although they do not look like they can work, they do some amazing things with the imaging). I have a room with a vault ceiling as well, the Real Traps Mondo and Mini Traps work great in this configuration.

Shaktis work mainly for soundstaging, by turning them out or in? Not for diffusion and absorption?

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I am very crazy for cartridges,since always,so yesterday visiting Italian distributor of Lyra,Audiograffiti
i saw one and i bought.

Yesterday Audiograffiti,that i know since 35 years, invited me for the presentation of new Spectral mono DMA 500 and Mr Fryer did presentation for Spectral 40 anniversary and very good food around 12.30

The system was
Spectral 4000 SV with preamp 30 SV and new amp DMA 500 with speaker Lansche 5.2 and top MIT cable
Sound was good but i always listen Spectral,also this little light on mid bass with voice with few body and little bright,but better than the old.

I listen many times Atlas from friends and i like because is very fast,open,dynamic with good bass and also deep and a lot of details,but i founded little less natural,or little electric than Opus and Coralstone.
I never listen SL but i read that sound is more natural than normal Atlas si i am curios to listen this in my system
Atlas reach Coralstone diamond,GFS,Opus 1,A 95,Audiotekne,Spu A 95,so in future when will arrive Torqueo with or Ikeda 407 or Saec 506 i will do test changing headshell easily

On Bergmann now is difficult to change cartridges for his litz of tonearm very very thin

I had 12 years ago Lyra Titan and Koetsu Jade Platinum.
Titan was fast and open but little electric sound and Koetsu was more natural but little dark and with mid bass little heavy.Italian distributor told me the new stone Koetsu made in the last years are different from models of 15 years ago,more modern sound

Regards

Nice addition! I will look forward to your further reports as it breaks in. I have an Atlas- with less than 100 hrs and Etna SL with far less than that, A Koetsu RSP and a Goldfinger Statement not yet mounted.

I look forward to your comparisons of your memory with the Atlas and your new SL against the GFS.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
good,
you can tell us the difference between
Atlas and Etna sl
I never listen Etna,someone tell Etna sl is better than Atlas
Its true?
Congrats for Beveridge
Which speaker are Quad Usa Monitors?I like Quad,i had 57 and 63 and now have Corner Ribbon

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Hi Gian,

I must say that the Etna SL truly challenges the Atlas. The Atlas is explosive with lots of drive and energy. The Etna SL is delicate top to bottom with tremendous detail not just falsified in the higher registers but right through the spectrum and natural. I might say it is more "natural" sounding than Atlas right now.

On the Quads, my preference is for the the ESL. I have since let the USA Monitors depart- the were great but I am partial warts and all to the ESLs. The ESL 57s have been totally rebuilt by Wayne Piquet. Phenomenal- using them recently with Bedini, Futterman and the outstanding Wyetech 211c.

I understand there is quite a Beveridge following in Italy?

Attachments

• IMG_1805.JPG
    IMG_1805.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_2710.JPG
    IMG_2710.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 338

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
you can check

www.thesoundofthevalve.it
enter in web and open Beverage club italia
you will find a lot of information

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
i also had Bedini and Futterman in past years
I like a lot esl 57 but i will love yours,never listen esl 57 modified,will be amazing

Regards

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
After 5 months away my 6 year old Atlas returns with an Atlas SL makeover. Etna SL will have a well deserved rest.

atlas sl.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
After 5 months away my 6 year old Atlas returns with an Atlas SL makeover. Etna SL will have a well deserved rest.

Curious what you find when you have a few hours on the clock. Congratulations !

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
Congratulations,

Please keep us up dated on your impressions. I have the Etna SL and the Atlas- mightly impressed by the Etna SL to date.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Curious what you find when you have a few hours on the clock. Congratulations !

Congratulations,

Please keep us up dated on your impressions. I have the Etna SL and the Atlas- mightly impressed by the Etna SL to date.

Watching also.......

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am waiting the new SUT from Lyra for my Atlas SL
Now i use in current with CH P1,will be interesting if will be better with his new SUT and CH in MM
For my previous and friend experience i think could be little better with more dynamic and body,but until you don't try you don't know.

My friend has Atlas with Lyra SUT Erosion and phono Fosgate and he tell with SUT is much better

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing