Atlas SL arrived

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am very crazy for cartridges,since always,so yesterday visiting Italian distributor of Lyra,Audiograffiti
i saw one and i bought.

Yesterday Audiograffiti,that i know since 35 years, invited me for the presentation of new Spectral mono DMA 500 and Mr Fryer did presentation for Spectral 40 anniversary and very good food around 12.30

The system was
Spectral 4000 SV with preamp 30 SV and new amp DMA 500 with speaker Lansche 5.2 and top MIT cable
Sound was good but i always listen Spectral,also this little light on mid bass with voice with few body and little bright,but better than the old.

I listen many times Atlas from friends and i like because is very fast,open,dynamic with good bass and also deep and a lot of details,but i founded little less natural,or little electric than Opus and Coralstone.
I never listen SL but i read that sound is more natural than normal Atlas si i am curios to listen this in my system
Atlas reach Coralstone diamond,GFS,Opus 1,A 95,Audiotekne,Spu A 95,so in future when will arrive Torqueo with or Ikeda 407 or Saec 506 i will do test changing headshell easily

On Bergmann now is difficult to change cartridges for his litz of tonearm very very thin

I had 12 years ago Lyra Titan and Koetsu Jade Platinum.
Titan was fast and open but little electric sound and Koetsu was more natural but little dark and with mid bass little heavy.Italian distributor told me the new stone Koetsu made in the last years are different from models of 15 years ago,more modern sound

Regards

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
IMG_1345.JPG

The number AS 025 is the serie number where AS means SL
Normal Atlas has AT and mono Atlas has AM

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am very crazy for cartridges,since always,so yesterday visiting Italian distributor of Lyra,Audiograffiti
i saw one and bought ...
I listen many times Atlas from friends and i like because is very fast,open,dynamic with good bass and also deep and a lot of details,but i founded little less natural,or little electric than Opus and Coralstone.
I never listen SL but i read that sound is more natural than normal Atlas si i am curios to listen this in my system
Atlas reach Coralstone diamond,GFS,Opus 1,A 95,Audiotekne,Spu A 95,so in future when will arrive Torqueo with or Ikeda 407 or Saec 506 i will do test changing headshell easily

Congratulation Gian. Hope you change clothes more than carts :p. We are similar kind. The Atlas SL can be very "show off" at first. I can understand why Marc Gomez likes this cart on his arm...because it even further compliment the ability of his arm in digging out info from the groove. Give it some time and it will build more meat on the bone. Still skinny though. I like it a lot with strings.

I have Atlas SL, Coralstone, Anna, Opus, Palladian, Etna Mono coming, GFS gone and a ZYX when destiny strikes one day. It will take some time to learn them. After that I can send the one you dont have to you for testing. Will be fun.:D

Kind regards,
Tang

Reactions: Jamesdonahue

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think both Mike and Gian today in separate threads admitted to being crazy.

Sunnyboy1956

Member Sponsor
Feb 22, 2014
New Delhi, India
Hi Gian
Congrats on the Atlas SL. If it’s anything like the Etna SL it will be superb
Pradeep

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sawasdee Gian,

How is Atlas SL doing now?

Tang

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I am listening Atlas SL since 5 minutes
with phono CH P1 in current with gain + 15 ( maximum is + 25 ) and volume on L1 is - 34 db,my speaker is 98 db
Very beautiful cartridge also this

Big scene,big separation between instrument,fast and dynamic,
high very detailed but sweet,bass correct and deep mid transparent,now little less natural than opus 1 on mid,but have only 5 minutes

Sorry my poor English

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am listening Atlas SL since 5 minutes
with phono CH P1 in current with gain + 15 ( maximum is + 25 ) and volume on L1 is - 34 db,my speaker is 98 db
Very beautiful cartridge also this

Big scene,big separation between instrument,fast and dynamic,
high very detailed but sweet,bass correct and deep mid transparent,now little less natural than opus 1 on mid,but have only 5 minutes

Sorry my poor English

When you turn volume to -25db and dont play music, do you hear any hum coming from your speakers?

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
First impression after listening some of my reference record

High are incredible clear fast detailed and high go on until other cartridges stop before,really fantastic
Voice are very good because are open,natural,clear and big out of the speaker
The instruments seems real because are big and a lot of space between them
on classic guitar i listen very very little electric sound while in opus and coralstone seem more natural,but this very little electric sound i listen also in Atlas of my friend and more with my old Titan
Midbass is little light,so some records are ok,in other the sound is little light with few body,while opus is much better in mid bass that is full with the right body on male voice and instrument
For exemple in moonlight serenade with L Almeida and R. Brown,the double bass of R.Brown is perfect like the Opus 1 while in St. James Infirmary,45 rpm Classic Records, the voice of Armstrong is little light while with the Opus 1 has one body that the voice seems true in from of you
In La Campanella with Accardo at the Violin,Fone' 45 rpm,the violin is perfect and seems true,real,fast,while the double bass is little weak
The bass is good but opus has more deep bass and more punchBut we will see after 120 hours what will happen

GFS is some months i don't listen but seems a copy of this Atlas SL,but i will try in future
A 95 i listen very few hour,have to check after 100 hours at least,but is not in this category for me,
Coralstone Diamond has not the high of Atlas,has not the deep bass of Opus,has not the perfect mid bass of Opus,image is smaller that Atlas,but when you listen you enter in the music and enjoy without thinking at the hifi

Tang has Atlas sl on Kronos that is a TT with more mid bass than Bergmann with SAT that is heavy and could be perfect match with Atlas so could be the mid bass is perfect

So with 2/3 TT ,some different tonearm and phono cable you can find the right match to listen this cartridge in the perfect way.

Which is the best cartridge i have
I dont know

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Now i put the weight at 1.72 gr instead 1.67 before and seems more better in mid bass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing