Favorite Food?

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I like bananas. I state this as an observation about myself rather than a strong opinion. Every meal I'm looking for a banana. I'm constantly running out of bananas and buying more. It's not that I think they taste particularly good, although they taste fine. It just seems that I always feel that having one or two or three along with whatever else I'm eating is the thing to do whenever I'm hungry. I'm probably pretty radioactive!
That is funny there are days I will eat 3 or 4 bananas. Just get a craving.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Beef tongue ragout ,cocktail sausages mushrooms in Madeira sauce with potatoes. The most tender meat I know yummy zungenragout-aus-dem-braunschweiger-land.jpg

For dessert a Calvados apple pie. Apples are placed in Calvados liqueur and baked apfelkuchen-mit-calvados-und-rum-rosinen.jpg

• Love
Reactions: exupgh12

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Rrueben Sandwich
When I was in law school I discovered a hot dog wrapped in a slice of Bologna. Despite my best efforts i have been unable to recreate i t. Rock Creek Deli, Silver Spring Maryland.

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Since tastes and experiences evolve, I'm going to add my homemade pork souvlaki to the list. The 'secret' ingredients in the marinade are honey, to get some sweet carbonisation, and a pinch of Spanish pimenton to sharpen things up a little. Fillet seems to work better than shoulder meat.

E743C2EF-CC1E-4E4F-9B61-DE846C94B180.jpeg

Reactions: exupgh12

Camfristed

Feb 14, 2023
Just stumbled upon this banana-lovers club, and I gotta say, I'm with you on the banana train! There's something oddly satisfying about having them with every meal, right? Tim, I totally get your banana hoarding struggles. On a different note, has anyone here tried Korean Corn Dogs? Just discovered them, and they're a game-changer! Crispy, cheesy, and just the right amount of indulgence. Found this cool recipe at https://www.corriecooks.com – it's my go-to now! Excited to be part of this foodie community.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ok, I will try as I am not sure the OP means a generic dish, a dish made at home, or a dish made at a particular restaurant. As with everything, many dishes can be great if well made, especially in fine dining restaurants where what the chefs are making that season may be great or disappointing.

Indian food
Kheema (minced meat),
Any fish curry or fried fish well made in Mumbai or Goa,
Some of the authentic breakfasts and desserts not available outside India,
Only place I like Indian food outside India is Dubai, and briefly tried in Qatar, was delicious.

Sri Lankan food
Best way to get Indian food in London. Sri Lankan food is awesome, and spicy.
The mutton curry with string hoppers at Everest Curry House in Lewisham, or the paratha, mutton, and egg all wrapped up in a banana leaf at Palm Beach at Wembley Central. Hoppers is decent but not like the other two, which are more authentic.

Biryani
Best Biryani I have had is at Darjeeling Express in London. At their special Sunday Biryani lunch, a 3 hour 7 course meal. If you are visiting London, make sure you book a lunch here. The restaurant is not good for their day to day food.

Italian
I love good Italian, and my favorite Italian in London shut down during the pandemic. The others like Locanda Locatelli, Padella, Cafe Murano, Cecooni, and others are ok, Daphne and Zafferano are disappointing. In fact the bets pasta is now usually when a fine dining restaurant like Kitchen W8 or Club Gascon makes a Gnocchi or Risotto. But otherwise, always love trips to Italy. Freshly done pastas with good sauces are great.

Sushi
B
est Sushi at Yashin, off High Street Ken, their platter and sake is great, and then Umu.

Breakfast
To make at home, Turkish eggs (we have an awesome recipe), and my own masala oats for staple, which I sometimes vary as oats omelette, or oats pancake, with spicy chutneys.
Otherwise, Wolesley for their Haggies, Sauteed Liver, and Kedgeree.

Fine dining
Lyle's
Kitchen W8
Love good dishes made by chefs with surprise, can be small, where the flavors just build on each other.

Chinese
A. Wong at Pimlico, and there is a small restaurant at Angel can't recall the name. Great Cumin beef.

Thai
Herron at Paddington in London serves Northern Thai and they have a great pork and rice dish
Addie's Thai at Earl's Court for the Deep fried cod with morning glory and their Soft Shell Crab

Desserts
Various types of Pavlova Eton mess type messes, Tiramisu (but difficult to find a good one, again went with that Italian restaurant that shut down in the Pandemic), Rabri (a condensed milk sweet) that you get at many places in Dubai, and India, but not a good one in London unfortunately. Mango or Pineapple sheera (an Indian sweet made with ghee and wheat flour and sugar adding the desired fruit). At home make tasty healthy sweets mixing yogurt with tahini and fig etc.

Unhealthy snacks
Good samosas and vada pav (Indian)

Ok tired writing now.

• Love
Reactions: rob and exupgh12

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
There's an abundance of delicious food options available, ranging from meats, baked goods, fish & seafood, dairy, vegetables, and fruits. Additionally, the diverse array of kitchens worldwide offers endless culinary experiences.

Personally, I occasionally crave pizza and beer, followed by Italian gelato, which, to me, constitutes the ultimate Italian meal. Other times, I enjoy exploring fusion cuisines, of which there are many here. Sometimes, the specific cuisine that captures my desire might be French, Indian, Thai, Chinese, Mediterranean, Yemeni, Central or Eastern European, Spanish and Portuguese, Mexican, South American.

Truly, I find it challenging to single out just one food, dish, or cuisine that I prefer above all others.

Reactions: bonzo75

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Stone Crab Claws have amazing texture and flavor. They are only caught in the Gulf of Mexico from Oct 15 to May 15.
The crab is caught and one claw is removed. It is then returned to the gulf and will re-grow the claw. If a crab is caught with only one functioning claw it is returned to the gulf for future harvest.

IMG_0472.JPG

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
For me, nothing beats a well-marbled, reverse seared ribeye.

Attachments

• Ribeye.png
    Ribeye.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • ribeye3.png
    ribeye3.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: rob and exupgh12

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
What is reverse seared, SoundQcar.
I'm not a red meat eater but that is beautiful. I do all of the cooking in the house to include all meats for my wife and family.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
What is reverse seared, SoundQcar.
I'm not a red meat eater but that is beautiful. I do all of the cooking in the house to include all meats for my wife and family.
Brad,

As opposed to searing a steak from room temperature over high heat, essentially doing a quick cook so to speak, It's the process of bringing a steak up to temperature low and slow, (say somewhere around 225deg for 40-45 minutes), to around 110-115deg, and then finishing the steak off with a high heat sear at the end, which by the time you get your knife and fork into it, brings it to a perfect medium-rare (130deg). The benefit to this is a more evenly cook from top to bottom, arguably a better char than starting with a room temperature piece of meat, and because of the more even cooking, no need to rest the steak before slicing or plating.

Hope that helped.

Enjoy.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I have Sous Vide meat for family, but, this looks much better.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
Sous Vide is a great (perhaps the best) method for completing the 1st step of a reverse seared steak. It's virtually impossible not to have the steak come out short of your ideal temperature and evenness. The only drawback, in my opinion, comes with the 2nd part of the procedure. Meats tend to give you a much better sear and crust, if their surface is as dry as you can make it before you sear. With Sous Vide, when you remove the meat from the bag, it's pretty much the opposite of dry, and no amount of patting the surface will replicate what you get when conventionally grilling. This doesn't mean that the steak won't taste great.....it just means that if you're dead set on a well charred surface, it will fall somewhat short. Best you can do, is without pushing out any juice from the meat, pat all surfaces as dry as you can make it, then proceed with the sear. One thing I can tell you, the consistency of Sous Vide, will produce a great tasting steak.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
It is consistent but it doesn't look as good as your reverse sear.

SoundQcar

Oct 12, 2011
Half Moon Bay, Ca
It is consistent but it doesn't look as good as your reverse sear.
The crust on my steak aside, you might find the Sous Vide method to have an even more uniform look to the inside of the steak once you cut it open.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing