Favorite Food?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is not great ice cream, but The Cheesecake Factory is the only restaurant I know of which takes the legal risk (from blocked arteries, heart attacks and wrongful death lawsuits) of offering marshmallow syrup to the public.

This custom dessert -- which I order regularly -- causes a bit of a commotion among the diners when people see it meandering to my table.

This is 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream and 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream covered in (cold) caramel syrup, and then covered in marshmallow syrup and then covered in whipped cream:

image.jpeg

If you have to ask how many grams of sugar are in this thing . . . well . . . um . . . just don't ask.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This is not great ice cream, but The Cheesecake Factory is the only restaurant I know of which takes the legal risk (from blocked arteries, heart attacks and wrongful death lawsuits) of offering marshmallow syrup to the public.

This custom dessert -- which I order regularly -- causes a bit of a commotion among the diners when people see it meandering to my table.

This is 2 scoops of vanilla ice cream and 2 scoops of chocolate ice cream covered in (cold) caramel syrup, and then covered in marshmallow syrup and then covered in whipped cream:

View attachment 36468

If you have to ask how many grams of sugar are in this thing . . . well . . . um . . . just don't ask.

Surprisingly, less than a milkshake!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
While I certainly am fond of specially prepared meal at fine bistros. What I look forward to every year is fresh picked sweet corn cooked just right slathered in unsweetened butter and/or a ripe tomato off the vine. Both with sea or gray salt. Just bliss In my book. But if your lookin for a meal it's a Cassoulet. Pork, lamb, sausages and game it has it all.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Have you been to Bern's Steak House in Tampa?

Most amazing steak selection with one of the largest wine cellars you'll ever see and then dessert to die for. Far too decadent

Yes Steve I have, while impressive (to a point) it's ambiance is second rate to what I consider the 'best' .......... Gibson's (Chicago), Queve De Cheval (Montreal), Lugers (NYC) to name a few. Queue De Cheval, you walk in the front door, a 3 piece jazz ensemble plays to your left, a 50' mahogany bar lined with martini glasses packed in ice greets you, what's not to love !

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Perfectly ripe fruit

Rib eye steak from Buffalo

Belly cut yellowfin and ahi

Smoked beef ribs

Good espresso

Anything with sugar and chocolate, but this is more like a drug than a food to me, if I eat sugar I crave sugar... not good. :(

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I should add, Bob, that tourtier(pork pie) It was originally a yuletime treat. All would dig in after midnight mass.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
If anyone could tell me. Are pictures I posted upside down or sideway up. From my iPad, they are always ok. I dont want to annoy anyone.

Kind regards,
Tang

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

View attachment 36468

Ron, As you obviously enjoy your culinary delights--this little movie shows if allowed to excess--enjoy!;)
BD

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I should add, Bob, that tourtier(pork pie) It was originally a yuletime treat. All would dig in after midnight mass.

La tourtiere can be made from several type of meat; the one from that video had equal amount of beef, veal and pork. The best one I had is from Lac St-Jean, Quebec, made of pheasant, veal and large chunk of potatoes, and three inches thick.

http://www.foodnetwork.ca/shows/gre...log/the-meaty-history-of-quebecois-tourtiere/
http://www.ameriquefrancaise.org/fr/article-90/Tourtière_du_Lac-Saint-Jean.html#.WeOKYk6p62c

It is a free dish, there are no rules as to what you can put in a tourtiere.
I had some with salmon and trout, superbly delicious.

If you travel in Quebec, in different regions of both coasts of the St-Lawrence River, and in Gaspesia, on the Atlantic coast, in small villages of the countryside, in the villager's homes, super friendly and generous people, you are going to taste various traditional food dishes and recipes from those specific regions.
There are no better ways to taste various excellent food than when you travel all over. For example, la vraie poutine is made in Quebec, and depending of which region, the type of potatoes (or sweet or russet or ...) with the skin, the sauce recipe and its thickness and flavor and the cheese curds can greatly vary. Some of the best I had are from Montreal and also from North East of Montreal, within hundred miles range.

Some of the best smoke meats I had are from Montreal and Vancouver (Montreal chef).

In France they have les baguettes, les pâtes, les bries, le camembert and their excellent red dry, Beaujolais.
French people can spend one third of a day around the table and tasting food. That I like.

On the west coast where I live now, it's different; crab, shrimp, salmon, seafood of all variety is big, and that I like too.

The best way to discover the best food dishes is to travel the world where cuisine is an art of high value.

...And too much sugar will kill ya of a heart attack.
I love sweet deserts, I love to indulge myself, I love to have control on my indulgement, on everything.

Food to me is like sex; too much and you need some rest, not enough and you need to climb mountains, between sweet chocolates and the Everest peak.

I think our palate is prime between the age of 33 and 66. ...And depending of the brand of cigars and cognac.

If we are talking food, we are talking a clean palate, bien entretenu, and globetrotting.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Ramen is something I dont get bored of eating. This is my lunch today. It's called Kakuni Tsukemen..a type of japanese cold noodle. It is the best Japanese street food imo. The restaurant is called Bakara Ramen. If you visit Bangkok, dont just eat Thai food. We have the best in the world of just about any food. We also have no less than 500,000 Japanese expats here and there is a Japanese restaurant in just about every street, so even Japanese tourists come to Bangkok looking for this ramen here. Delicious :p.

20171119_114117_resized.jpg

Tang

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ramen is something I dont get bored of eating. This is my lunch today. It's called Kakuni Tsukemen..a type of japanese cold noodle. It is the best Japanese street food imo. The restaurant is called Bakara Ramen. If you visit Bangkok, dont just eat Thai food. We have the best in the world of just about any food. We also have no less than 500,000 Japanese expats here and there is a Japanese restaurant in just about every street, so even Japanese tourists come to Bangkok looking for this ramen here. Delicious :p.

View attachment 37338

Tang

Looks good, Tang. My daughter can eat ramen all day all week, that's what she told me when we were in Japan. So we went to a few top rated ramen houses but none came close to this one which we found on our flight out at Tokyo's Haneda airport. It's like eating 6 different dishes as the sliced pork, boiled eggs, seaweed, chopped string onions, noodles and soup all have their own distinct great flavors. It was so good that all four of us in the family were so busy eating the ramen nobody remembered to take pictures of the actual ramen. And we forgot to ask the name of the restaurant but luckily I took some pictures before leaving. :D

20160713_111119.jpg

20160713_111212.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Thanks Phil. Next time I use Haneda airport I make sure my stomach is empty :).

Tang

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ever since i brought some Mochi from a Japanese store in Hong Kong called Sogo, my son, upon tasting it, has become very addicted to this glutinous rice cake delicacy. Henceforth, we would try any sort of mochi we see in Japan, and so far, the best is the one sold at the basement food section of Takashimaya Dept Store, in Tokyo and Osaka. This kind has some powdery substance on its sidings and has a special syrup to go with it. Together the taste is fantastic. My son likes it so much he named his Beagle - Mochi. :D

P_20171004_082044.jpg P_20171004_082226.jpg P_20171005_171313.jpg

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Spanish for lunch today. Soooo tasty:D.
I am thinking if what I have for lunch today best out all I ate in the last month, why can’t Jonathan Valin likes M6 most today more than the Zellaton or Magnepan in the past months.

43430921-DC4A-45BC-82C2-46E26463BB2A.jpg
9E45F6DC-C181-4EEC-B9F9-3F37DFF16031.jpg
F9DA7FA6-85E0-430E-A788-4C9267363C71.jpg

Tang

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Have you been to Bern's Steak House in Tampa?

Most amazing steak selection with one of the largest wine cellars you'll ever see and then dessert to die for. Far too decadent

We have been there several times over the last 30 years since I was in school. It is the best steakhouse in the country. I have referred all my snowbird patients there and everybody comes back to NY with rave reviews.

Having said that, my favorite food is the broiled three and a half to four pound lobster at El Quijote in NYC. Aside from splitting it in half under the broiler, they know to leave the arthropod intact for me. Every bit of the lobster meat is consumed. No swimmeret is missed, no tail flipper is ignored the carapace is empty when I'm done. I'm very compulsive about it. When I am done, all that remains is a pile of chitin. It's a two hour project.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Gary, better lobster there than at Francisco’s Centro Vasco at 159 West 23rd Street???

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing