Plasmatron AC regulator

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I'm not a fan in general of AC conditioners. I've used several, including transformers and they all seem to reduce dynamics or aggravate ground-loops.

One exception is the Plasmatron from VHAudio. Chris from VHAudio brought one to our exhibit room at RMAF and we gave it a try. I was immediately sold. For digital components, its simply the best AC tweak I have heard. Makes them sound more clear and at the same time, more analog. I think it regulates the AC voltage rather than filtering it or regenerating it. I run DAC and converters, everything digital from it. Highly recommended and the Thyratron tubes last a long time.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
How does the Plasmatron work?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for posting that link. But I do not see anywhere on that website a description of what the Plasmatron is or what it does or how it does whatever it is supposed to do.

Do you?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Meh, current and voltage providing the results? Its probably adding a hint of tube flavor.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Meh, current and voltage providing the results? Its probably adding a hint of tube flavor.

Not that I can detect. Only goodness.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Steve, if all the juice passes through something that gives it a pleasant harmonic pattern (including noise and tugging from various frequencies), why couldn't that be the result?

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, if all the juice passes through something that gives it a pleasant harmonic pattern (including noise and tugging from various frequencies), why couldn't that be the result?

It is certainly possible for someone else to make this mistake, but not me. I've been down the garden path many times and learned from it over the last 30 years. I now have one of the most resolving low-noise systems on the planet. I can easily hear the difference between an AIFF and a .wav file for instance. I can hear the difference in the same files with different sample-rates and different offsets. Any cable change makes a difference.

I have DC-coupled SET tube monoblocks BTW, totally modded by me and tubes rolled many times to get perfection. No "tubey" sound there. Tubes have a sonic signature usually because they are poor tubes, or the power subsystem in the component is poorly designed.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What effect does it have on analog Steve? I must admit that I have been very curious about this unit for at least a couple of years. Not to mention that they look really cool! I had a 2a3 amp built that used mercury rectifiers. To this day I regret selling it. I was made an offer I couldn't but should have refused.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
What effect does it have on analog Steve? I must admit that I have been very curious about this unit for at least a couple of years. Not to mention that they look really cool! I had a 2a3 amp built that used mercury rectifiers. To this day I regret selling it. I was made an offer I couldn't but should have refused.

Have not tried it, but I'll bet its just as good or better than using on digital. Digital is the hardest to improve.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Now I remember, that 4 years ago, I posted this:

A 'thyratron' is just a Silicon Controlled Rectifier that light's up a pretty color. Remember those old light dimmer's that made noise in your hi-fi?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing