Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plasmatron AC regulator

Addicted to Best!

Plasmatron AC regulator

I'm not a fan in general of AC conditioners. I've used several, including transformers and they all seem to reduce dynamics or aggravate ground-loops.

One exception is the Plasmatron from VHAudio. Chris from VHAudio brought one to our exhibit room at RMAF and we gave it a try. I was immediately sold. For digital components, its simply the best AC tweak I have heard. Makes them sound more clear and at the same time, more analog. I think it regulates the AC voltage rather than filtering it or regenerating it. I run DAC and converters, everything digital from it. Highly recommended and the Thyratron tubes last a long time.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    How does the Plasmatron work?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Thank you for posting that link. But I do not see anywhere on that website a description of what the Plasmatron is or what it does or how it does whatever it is supposed to do.

Do you?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: American Sound AS-2000; tonearms: SME 3012R, Schröder LT; cartridges: ZYX UNIverse Premium X-SB2, Benz-Micro LP S; tape: Studer A820 Mk II; phono stage: Aesthetix Io Eclipse; line stage: Aesthetix Callisto Eclipse; amplifier: VTL Siegfried II; speakers: Gryphon Pendragons; cables: MasterBuilt Ultra; stands: Herzan + Taiko Tana for Io, custom for turntable, Stacore Basic+ for amps; power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; Torus AVR60BAL; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 19' wide X 24' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps, Lumitex drapes; tweaks: Shakti Stones, Shun Mooks

It uses a Thyratron to provide constant current that will not sag, a controlled rectifier.
    Beautiful when energised, see various YouTube clips.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyratron
    Sound Galleries Monaco Server 2015(Roon>Tidal>HQPlayer-Poly Sinc xtr DSD128) > Sablon Audio Reserva Elite USB (data only)/Sablon Audio Reserva Ethernet >
    T&A DAC8DSD > Sablon Audio Reserva Interconnects > Java Triple Shot LDR pre > SupaNova45 DC SE amp > Sablon Audio Reserva speaker cables (pigtailed) > Avantgarde Duo Omega. Sablon Audio Reserva power cords throughout. HiFiMan Edition X V2, SR Blue fuses, Oyaide EE f/s2.0 V2 mains spurs, Akiko Audio tuning sticks, GIK Acoustic TriTraps/panels.

Meh, current and voltage providing the results? Its probably adding a hint of tube flavor.
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Meh, current and voltage providing the results? Its probably adding a hint of tube flavor.
    Not that I can detect. Only goodness.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Steve, if all the juice passes through something that gives it a pleasant harmonic pattern (including noise and tugging from various frequencies), why couldn't that be the result?
    Industry Affiliation: Folsom

Interesting concept...
    You can never have enough power !!

Custom speaker in progress

Can help with recomendations for hotels and good food in munich !

Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    Steve, if all the juice passes through something that gives it a pleasant harmonic pattern (including noise and tugging from various frequencies), why couldn't that be the result?
    It is certainly possible for someone else to make this mistake, but not me. I've been down the garden path many times and learned from it over the last 30 years. I now have one of the most resolving low-noise systems on the planet. I can easily hear the difference between an AIFF and a .wav file for instance. I can hear the difference in the same files with different sample-rates and different offsets. Any cable change makes a difference.

I have DC-coupled SET tube monoblocks BTW, totally modded by me and tubes rolled many times to get perfection. No "tubey" sound there. Tubes have a sonic signature usually because they are poor tubes, or the power subsystem in the component is poorly designed.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast