Oil giant Shell bets on electric cars

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
oh yeah..... and methane gas is a problem also, therefore next time you eat chicken please refrain from farting .........

Methane from cow burps is a bigger problem worldwide, but only about 5% of the problem in the US. CO2 is the problem in the US. See the graph I posted.

It is still a good idea to limit your beef consumption, both for your own health and the health of the planet.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Electric cars are for smart people and consciencious of their environment.

The profits from oil and gas affect all of us, it's killing us and our families.
It's contaminating our brain, our planet, our soil, our braves, our freedom fighters, our water, our heritage, our country, our people, our values, our families, our children, our health, our governments, our Kings and Queens, our police officers, our protectors, our peace keepers, our teachers, our football coaches, or film producers, our musicians, our rap artists, our master painters, our art auctioners, our museums, our universities, our roofs, our hi-fi stereo systems.

You got it. The politics of Big Oil touches everything.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I've just read your post Steve, and @ first I revisited my two grandmothers in the heaven's paradis, to give my ultimate respect and eternal friendship and love, ...RIP, and then this came out right away after:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/health/florida-irma-nursing-home-deaths/index.html

It is extremely sad, the combination of weak human decision with the harsh circumstances...the extreme heat, no air conditioning, ....all what hurricane Irma first caused...broken power, and the chain of reaction.
Truly tragic, and for the children and grandchildren of these grandmothers and grandfathers.

And the worst part of all of this is that the US will take a Band-Aid approach to this, by improving regulation on nursing homes. Instead, they should go after the cause of the problem, Global Warming.

Every house that gets rebuilt in Houston, Florida and Puerto Rico should be high-efficiency. The power grid in Puerto Rico should be 80% wind and solar when rebuilt, not diesel powered. Cars that get replaced should be electric or at the least hybrids. Otherwise, they are just putting gasoline on a fire. We will have the same conversation next year when there are again unprecedented floods, hurricanes, heat waves and wildfires. Almost every year, the temperature records are broken now. Expect it to continue and get worse because of the regenerative effects.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Steve N said:
And the worst part of all of this is that the US will take a Band-Aid approach to this, by improving regulation on nursing homes. Instead, they should go after the cause of the problem, Global Warming.

Every house that gets rebuilt in Houston, Florida and Puerto Rico should be high-efficiency. The power grid in Puerto Rico should be 80% wind and solar when rebuilt, not diesel powered. Cars that get replaced should be electric or at the least hybrids. Otherwise, they are just putting gasoline on a fire. We will have the same conversation next year when there are again unprecedented floods, hurricanes, heat waves and wildfires. Almost every year, the temperature records are broken now. Expect it to continue and get worse because of the regenerative effects.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I'll talk back to you in September 2018. Perhaps by then a new leader will care about global warming.

Meanwhile in Puerto Rico some people are most likely drinking toxic water, just to survive. And in Ireland Ophelia is a Category 3 hurricane, with violent rafales.
And the sky looks apocalyptic, just like in the movie 'Blade Runner 2049'.

___

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nomenon-seen-across-england-caused-hurricane/
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442

?Water: https://www.newsy.com/stories/puerto-rico-s-water-crisis-has-many-contributing-factors/

Last edited:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Methane from cow burps is a bigger problem worldwide, but only about 5% of the problem in the US. CO2 is the problem in the US. See the graph I posted.

It is still a good idea to limit your beef consumption, both for your own health and the health of the planet.

Steve N.

..glad to see that WBF has a self-appointed conscience ;)

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Can you imagine running our stereo amplifiers with gas, our turntables with oil.

Bob, FYI you may be doing that already. Unless you have been living under a rock lately you do know what is quickly replacing coal as our Nations #1 energy source for generating electricity ..........Gas (albeit natural).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Bob, FYI you may be doing that already. Unless you have been living under a rock lately you do know what is quickly replacing coal as our Nations #1 energy source for generating electricity ..........Gas (albeit natural).

I just came back from outside doing stuff I do best.

I don't have an electric car yet, my mansion uses electricity, strictly. I use gas for the lawnmower, for the chain saw. My car uses break fluid, transmission oil, engine oil, premium gas, octane 91, windshield liquid, all those contain chemicals, the bathrooms, the kitchen sink, the detergents, the soaps, the laundry, the shoe polish, the suede cowboy boots, the swimming pool, chlorine, the water is from a reservoir, a lake, the air is from the Pacific Ocean, the forests of the island, the wildlife is without fear, the people are the people like from anywhere else, some very very good, others better to stay away, I do my best to survive and love life, music and movies are good hobbies, the view is peaceful, very.

I'm sensitive to my surroundings and the people inside. It's good that we finally switch from gas to electric cars. I am all for it, and for the protection of humanity and global écologie.
I am interested in the latest scientific discoveries and the knowledge of space and the universe.
I need to nurture my intellect and my knowledge network. I like to share the stuff that I'm passionate about, including the music and the films. All that is related is in my periscope.

Shell was positive news to read about; their future investment towards the electric car. It is one small step for mankind.

I might sound like I'm determined towards a better world, and I am. ...On all aspects.
I work with the tools I create because those tools aren't for sale @ the hardware store.
I am one voice among 7.5 billion voices. I read the news like most people; it helps in understanding what drives all kind of people with various ways of life.

I never lived under a rock, but I used rocks as pillows in the past, when working real hard physically in the lands of this continent. ...Like firemen fighting forest fires.

My grandmothers, RIP, were great women, a force of human nature.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I'll talk back to you in September 2018. Perhaps by then a new leader will care about global warming.

Meanwhile in Puerto Rico some people are most likely drinking toxic water, just to survive. And in Ireland Ophelia is a Category 3 hurricane, with violent rafales.
And the sky looks apocalyptic, just like in the movie 'Blade Runner 2049'.

___

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nomenon-seen-across-england-caused-hurricane/
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41627442

?Water: https://www.newsy.com/stories/puerto-rico-s-water-crisis-has-many-contributing-factors/

Some of that sky us due to winds, but it is also wildfires.

I got to breath heavy wildfire smoke for 5 weeks this summer. Finally, the fire is out so we can breath again. No fun.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I don't feel guilty...lol Perhaps he should spend his effort lobbying China, India, Russia to get to our current clean air standards.... :rolleyes:

You really don't have a clue, do you?

China has spent triple what the US has towards renewables. They have the largest installed base of solar collectors in the world. They have banned coal power plants around Beijing. They just announced that they are putting another $360B towards renewables. They have exceeded the commitments of the Paris accords. There are already over 600,000 electric vehicles on the roads in China, more buses than anywhere else.

India has committed to double their Paris Accords commitment to renewables.

Many countries already have laws that prohibit the sale of gas vehicles after 2030-2050.

The US is the only developed country where the government denies Climate Change. We are still the #2 emitter on the planet. There are only two developed countries not in the Paris Accords now, Syria and the US. It's embarrassing. Thanks to Trump and the GOP, we are a third-world country now.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
China has spent triple what the US has towards renewables. They have the largest installed base of solar collectors in the world. They have banned coal power plants around Beijing. They just announced that they are putting another $360B towards renewables. They have exceeded the commitments of the Paris accords. There are already over 600,000 electric vehicles on the roads in China, more buses than anywhere else.

but, it's a drop in the bucket with the environmental chaos their blind corruption has allowed to develop.

their fundamental balance of overall environmental strategy is lacking, and so far only band aids......

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
I just came back from outside doing stuff I do best.

I read the news like most people; it helps in understanding what drives all kind of people with various ways of life.

Could not agree more. The problem in the US is that people filter their news and are subjected and gullible to propaganda because they do this. They believed most of the propaganda posted by Russian operatives on Facebook and Twitter during the election. Many Trump voters only believe what Trump says because he has convinced them that all news is fake news unless it comes from Trumps mouth. The ones that do listen and watch the news, watch Fox or Breitbart, who will never be caught criticizing Trumps behavior, no matter how outrageous it is. Case in point, his response to Hurricane in Puerto Rico. You can bet that they made the Major of San Juan the bad guy/girl, when other networks considered her a hero.

The US is a surreal place now, where 30% of the population does not care if the President or the nation follows the Constitution. Most of these people are Confederates from the south. I don't trust my neighbors now or people I pass on the street. They might be Trump voters.

To elect Trump, one had to look the other way and ignore the lack of education, knowledge of US government, experience, professionalism, ethics, morals and the general narcissist tendencies. They elected a disgusting excuse for a human being, just to "upset things" in the government or to get one issue addressed. These are ignorant people that don't understand the importance of this role in the US and the world. I had no idea there were so many stupids here...

The damage Trump has caused already will take decades to undo. Much worse the G. W. Bush, who made most of the people of the Arab world our enemies.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
You really don't have a clue, do you?

India has committed to double their Paris Accords commitment to renewables.

Many countries already have laws that prohibit the sale of gas vehicles after 2030-2050.

The US is the only developed country where the government denies Climate Change. We are still the #2 emitter on the planet. There are only two developed countries not in the Paris Accords now, Syria and the US. It's embarrassing. Thanks to Trump and the GOP, we are a third-world country now.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Steve, before your head swells up too big, get your facts straight !

China and India are the two largest importers of coal (up 21% this year), you know, that little black nugget that is the #1 contributor to your CO2 global warming ! So, unless there is thousands of fat Chinese girls sitting on those lumps hoping to turn them into diamonds they will be burnt !

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
but, it's a drop in the bucket with the environmental chaos their blind corruption has allowed to develop.

their fundamental balance of overall environmental strategy is lacking, and so far only band aids......

$360B in investment is not a Band-Aid IMO. Due to pressure from their people, I think the government is changing their course. They are CERTAINLY doing a LOT more than the US is on this front, including developing new technologies that make renewables and electric vehicles cheaper and more viable.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Steve, before your head swells up too big, get your facts straight !

China and India are the two largest importers of coal (up 21% this year), you know, that little black nugget that is the #1 contributor to your CO2 global warming ! So, unless there is thousands of fat Chinese girls sitting on those lumps hoping to turn them into diamonds they will be burnt !

It takes time and money to change the direction of a big ship. They are moving in the right direction. The US is moving in the WRONG direction.

steve N.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
$360B in investment is not a Band-Aid IMO. Due to pressure from their people, I think the government is changing their course. They are CERTAINLY doing a LOT more than the US is on this front, including developing new technologies that make renewables and electric vehicles cheaper and more viable.

Steve N.

the only question is whether the environmental situation in China is too far gone to ever recover. and it's a question. like a country wide superfund site in USA terms. and we know how much it costs to clean up a superfund site.

what will be the generational consequences of the completely rule-less development of last 50 years of growth in China? we don't know.

so trying to hold them up as some shining light is just not right.

and even making a case that the overall equation is going in the right direction in China is a reach.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
the only question is whether the environmental situation in China is too far gone to ever recover. and it's a question. like a country wide superfund site in USA terms. and we know how much it costs to clean up a superfund site.

what will be the generational consequences of the last 50 years of growth in China? we don't know.

so trying to hold them up as some shining light is just pig headed.

I will not resort to name calling here. At least they did not back-out of the Paris Climate accords as the US did. There are plenty of rivers and other waters including parts of the great-lakes that were previously so polluted that one could not even swim in them. Thanks to the EPA and the states, many of these are pristine now. Safe for swimming, safe fish to eat. It's possible.

Steve N.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I will not resort to name calling here. At least they did not back-out of the Paris Climate accords as the US did. There are plenty of rivers and other waters including parts of the great-lakes that were previously so polluted that one could not even swim in them. Thanks to the EPA and the states, many of these are pristine now. Safe for swimming, safe fish to eat. It's possible.

Steve N.

sorry, I edited that out.

but I agree that in the US we caught things early enough to change things. and dedicated huge resources to do that. and the focus for those things continues to be strong here. we fight over nuances, sure.

while in China it was terrible, then it got worse, and then it got even worse. and now it's more in the hopeless category. and their feedback loop is non-exisitant. all those resources we put into sound environmental practices have lined the pockets of the Chinese Elite for decades.

$360b is peanuts compared to their problems.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing