Oil giant Shell bets on electric cars

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
There is not one single word that I cannot disagree with from your above post.
The climate change accord between the world's countries is not something you spit on like that guy from the opposite wall of common sense.

If only everyone was as informed as us. We might have a long term chance as a species. I just feel sorry for all of the animals that will perish, as well as those innocent people in third-world countries.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Why aren't there more people like you Steve in these necks of the wood?
You are in my zone of learning comfort. ...Very cool.

I had planned to tour BC this summer. I was considering relocating to Canada because of Trump. The US is not a country I even recognize anymore. I don't trust anyone now. They might be Trump voter. The thing that put me off from traveling to BC was all of the wildfires in BC. We had our share here in Oregon too, with 6 weeks of smoke. I feel really sorry for those in California because that smoke is toxic, not just from tree, but burning plastics etc from homes and cars.

Steve N.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I had planned to tour BC this summer. I was considering relocating to Canada because of Trump. The US is not a country I even recognize anymore. I don't trust anyone now. They might be Trump voter. The thing that put me off from traveling to BC was all of the wildfires in BC. We had our share here in Oregon too, with 6 weeks of smoke. I feel really sorry for those in California because that smoke is toxic, not just from tree, but burning plastics etc from homes and cars.

Steve N.

I added some to my previous post as you were ahead of me in replying:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-electric-cars&p=474436&viewfull=1#post474436

* I'm a slow typer, very. I use only one finger, on my tablet.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
There is not one single word that I cannot disagree with from your above post.
The climate change accord between the world's countries is not something you spit on like that guy from the opposite wall of common sense.

The fires in Noth California; the electric wires dangling between the electric posts are knocked down by falling tree branches due to high velocity winds blasting @ 50 miles per hour. Those electric wires are live when in contact with those branches, and they produce sparks and those sparks create flames and fires started from those flaming sparks.

How to protect human lives and entire home communities of burning like we are seeing here?
By clearing out those electrical wires. By providing enough space so that when strong winds are blowing that no tree branches and trees can fall on them, or put the electrical wires underground, for the sake of saving human lives...over 40 human lives lost so far, and close to 5,000 homes/buildings vanished under the fires.

Prevent fires; live electric wires in combination with strong winds are a deadly recipe for human lives, for human memories of a lifetime, for generations, for our homes, for our environment, for global warming.

Agreed. It's of course expensive to put these underground, and they can be problematic in flood plains. Where I live, they are all underground. The feeds coming from the hydroelectric are above ground though, and they go down sometimes in the winter with freezing rain etc.., but we are only without power for a day at most usually.

The problem I have here in the mountains is wildfires caused by lightning more than people or power-lines as in California. I want to see towers installed in the forests to bleed off the static charge that causes lightning. Lightning rods actually prevent lightning more than they attract lightning. It's a proposal that has fallen on deaf ears though....

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
just fired up my '67 BB Corvette............ I'll go to confession in the morning.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Agreed. It's of course expensive to put these underground, and they can be problematic in flood plains. Where I live, they are all underground. The feeds coming from the hydroelectric are above ground though, and they go down sometimes in the winter with freezing rain etc.., but we are only without power for a day at most usually.

The problem I have here in the mountains is wildfires caused by lightning more than people or power-lines as in California. I want to see towers installed in the forests to bleed off the static charge that causes lightning. Lightning rods actually prevent lightning more than they attract lightning. It's a proposal that has fallen on deaf ears though....

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

I didn't know about "lightning rod towers", what I do know is that where they have wind turbines there are less forest fires. ...Wind generators @ the service of electric cars, to charge their batteries...like solar panels.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
just fired up my '67 BB Corvette............ I'll go to confession in the morning.

Nice ride.

Drive safe, stay on the road, don't go driving over dry bushes with those hot chrome exhaust pipes.

* Confessions are for scumbags, like Harvey Weinstein.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

Everyone has a grandmother. What if your grandmother died in 120 degree heat caused by Global Warming? It's happening more and more. Dangerous heat is becoming the norm. Even San Francisco, where 70 degrees is a hot day had over 100 degree heat this summer.

Everyone must do their part. Anyone that thinks GW will not affect them are delusional. It's affecting everyone in their pocketbook and sometimes their lives.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Now here is a nice ride:

Tesla model S.jpg

Never buy a crappy gas car again. Not even in the same league.

BTW, Tesla Model S P100D holds speed record of 0-60 in 2.3 seconds.

Steve N.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
hey Steve, for the record not everyone 'has' a grandmother but we all 'had' one at onetime.

If you're telling me not to enjoy the 500-1000 miles a year I put on my antique car then I will in turn tell you to turn off all your electrical devices and walk to work for the next 10 years........ LOL !

oh yeah...... almost forgot.....go plant a tree today, I did !

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
hey Steve, for the record not everyone 'has' a grandmother but we all 'had' one at onetime.

If you're telling me not to enjoy the 500-1000 miles a year I put on my antique car then I will in turn tell you to turn off all your electrical devices and walk to work for the next 10 years........ LOL !

Hobby cars are fine. I still have a Volvo that I use twice a year to pull a trailer.

It's the giant SUV's and diesel pickups that make me mad. Diesel pickup owners think they have to run their trucks all day to prevent from wearing out their $200 starter. Give me a break. After 5 seconds of running an ICE, you are using more fuel than stopping and restarting. There are a lot of myths still going around.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

They had one or two profitable quarters. You know how many years it took Amazon to turn a profit? Now look at them.

Elon is investing in the future. If you don't own Tesla stock, you will be the loser. Its already up about 100% this year. He is involved in space, power infrastructure, public transportation and electric vehicles. Just announced an electric Semi truck that will be out next year I think.

Steve N.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
As I'm sure your are aware we are doing something with regards to the number one contributor to GW, coal fired generating stations are going the way of the dinosaur ........

Regardless, electrical energy production is still at the top so you had better shut your Tesla down now !

http://planetsave.com/2009/06/07/global-warming-effects-and-causes-a-top-10-list/

oh yeah..... and methane gas is a problem also, therefore next time you eat chicken please refrain from farting .........

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Everyone has a grandmother. What if your grandmother died in 120 degree heat caused by Global Warming? It's happening more and more. Dangerous heat is becoming the norm. Even San Francisco, where 70 degrees is a hot day had over 100 degree heat this summer.

Everyone must do their part. Anyone that thinks GW will not affect them are delusional. It's affecting everyone in their pocketbook and sometimes their lives.

Steve N.

I've just read your post Steve, and @ first I revisited my two grandmothers in the heaven's paradis, to give my ultimate respect and eternal friendship and love, ...RIP, and then this came out right away after:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/29/health/florida-irma-nursing-home-deaths/index.html

It is extremely sad, the combination of weak human decision with the harsh circumstances...the extreme heat, no air conditioning, ....all what hurricane Irma first caused...broken power, and the chain of reaction.
Truly tragic, and for the children and grandchildren of these grandmothers and grandfathers.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Electric cars are for smart people and consciencious of their environment.

The profits from oil and gas affect all of us, it's killing us and our families.
It's contaminating our brain, our planet, our soil, our braves, our freedom fighters, our water, our heritage, our country, our people, our values, our families, our children, our health, our governments, our Kings and Queens, our police officers, our protectors, our peace keepers, our teachers, our football coaches, or film producers, our musicians, our rap artists, our master painters, our art auctioners, our museums, our universities, our roofs, our hi-fi stereo systems.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
As I'm sure your are aware we are doing something with regards to the number one contributor to GW, coal fired generating stations are going the way of the dinosaur ........

Regardless, electrical energy production is still at the top so you had better shut your Tesla down now !

http://planetsave.com/2009/06/07/global-warming-effects-and-causes-a-top-10-list/

Not according to NASA and DOE. Cars are the #1 emitter now in the US.

My Tesla is powered 97% from Hydroelectric. If I needed to, I could put solar collectors or Solar City roof tiles on my roof and charge a Power Wall during the day and charge my car from the PW at night. This is the future.

Steve N.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing