Oil giant Shell bets on electric cars

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes, all car manufacturers, including Ford, are adapting to progress, by making electric cars.
And the big oil companies are aligning their newest investments with the help of the top financial strategists.

And this morning Elon Musk fired 400-700 Tesla Model 3 auto workers from his force.
Things are not running as smoothly and efficiently as was previously reported by himself in person.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Bobby, I trust you do realize that 'all electric' is no where as 'green' as you think !

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Yes Davey, electric has its own ecosystem. It is not the perfect world, perhaps less CO2 emissions released into the earth's atmosphere, the planet's ozone layer. In places like Mexico City, Los Angeles, New York, Montréal, Chicago, Boston, Tokyo, Jakarta, Bangkok, Beijing, Mumbai, ...breathing can get easier and save lives.

It is the right direction. IMO, and in the opinion of other savy thinkers.

DaveC in another thread, I believe one of the Tesla threads, previously mentioned some of the negative points of electric cars, like the batteries' manufacturing content...and more.

In the balance of the grand scheme electric cars are going to take over, after we're gone, most of us.
Shell petroleum is just another oil and gas company joining the electric drum beat. I don't blame them if they want to remain a major player in the progress of our economy.

Cheers,

P.S. Luv ur avatar.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
The oil companies are all shaking in their boots because they see the writing on the wall. Some are doing propaganda PR "energy" campaigns on cable trying to convince us they are the "good guys", when we know they really aren't. Others, like Shell are trying to deflect criticism by supporting renewables and electric cars. Its all a sham, just like the climate studies that Exxon did in the last decade and concealed the real results, even issuing data that was doctored. Just like the tobacco industry assuring us that cigarettes don't cause cancer. Right, whatever you say... The big car companies, including BMW are touting "electrified" vehicles, which is just double-talk for hybrids. Most are not really electric like Tesla.

Political commentary removed

The government should be encouraging electric cars, doing more regulation on gas cars and shutting down all coal-fired power plants, like other developed nations are doing. The US is behaving like some third-world country that has to pillage all of its resources in order to get a decent GDP. It's BS. The US could start by simply passing a regulation that all gas cars have to turn off after 5 seconds if they are in park. No-brainer. then they could outlaw any vehicle that is not a hybrid. When stopped at traffic light, it should turn off and start on electric first.

People don't understand that in the US, the CO2 emission from cars is LARGER that that from power plants. Cars are THE PROBLEM in the US. People in the US are the laziest, most wasteful people on the planet. The run their cars all day long, even though they aren't driving. They make a ton of unnecessary trips to Starbucks just to get a $5 cup of coffee. They use gas lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, jet skis, dirt bikes, ATVs and other terrible polluters. Golf courses use gas carts and mow the courses with gas mowers. Diesel delivery trucks run all day long, even when they are parked. Only UPS turns their trucks off when stopped. I was recently in San Diego and just on one block alone, there were 10 different trucks, gas trimmers, chain saws, cars and lawnmowers running at he same time. Its a constant din of gas and diesel motors running. It's amazing that we are not already dead from all of this.

Every American needs to do their part to change this, unless you want yet another lead anchor on your neck. We already cannot afford Medicare and Social Security and they are the lions share of our budget. Soon, disaster relief and FEMA will be just as large.

Things to do:

1) buy an electric car - they have plenty of range now, 300 miles
2) replace all lighting with LEDS
3) replace inefficient or gas heating system with high-efficiency heat-pump
4) stop burning fireplaces unless you need heat
5) replace lawn tools with electric ones
6) seal/insulate your house so it is more efficient
7) stop idling your car when you get in or after you are parked. You can look at your cell-phone without the engine running - DUH!!
8) ride your bike or walk
9) combine tasks and stop making so many car trips during the week. Plan ahead.

The Europeans have been doing this stuff for decades. They know how to conserve and respect the planet. We have no other planet, this is it.

Tesla Model 3 - starts at $35K
Model3#1.jpg

Car_texting.jpg

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Last edited by a moderator:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Swapping car batteries like we do with our laptops and tablets and androids and iPads and iPhone's will come; it's just a question of time. And some batteries from those electric cars are going to be good for thousands of charges, lasting years depending of personal usage. ...Just like people switching phones every year for the most recent model, just like people switching cars every two years, just like people still using their flip phones for the last ten years, just like people driving the same car for the last twenty years.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The oil companies are all shaking in their boots because they see the writing on the wall. Some are doing propaganda PR "energy" campaigns on cable trying to convince us they are the "good guys", when we know they really aren't. Others, like Shell are trying to deflect criticism by supporting renewables and electric cars. Its all a sham, just like the climate studies that Exxon did in the last decade and concealed the real results, even issuing data that was doctored. Just like the tobacco industry assuring us that cigarettes don't cause cancer. Right, whatever you say... The big car companies, including BMW are touting "electrified" vehicles, which is just double-talk for hybrids. Most are not really electric like Tesla.

Political commentary removed

The government should be encouraging electric cars, doing more regulation on gas cars and shutting down all coal-fired power plants, like other developed nations are doing. The US is behaving like some third-world country that has to pillage all of its resources in order to get a decent GDP. It's BS. The US could start by simply passing a regulation that all gas cars have to turn off after 5 seconds if they are in park. No-brainer. then they could outlaw any vehicle that is not a hybrid. When stopped at traffic light, it should turn off and start on electric first.

People don't understand that in the US, the CO2 emission from cars is LARGER that that from power plants. Cars are THE PROBLEM in the US. People in the US are the laziest, most wasteful people on the planet. The run their cars all day long, even though they aren't driving. They make a ton of unnecessary trips to Starbucks just to get a $5 cup of coffee. They use gas lawn mowers, leaf blowers, chain saws, jet skis, dirt bikes, ATVs and other terrible polluters. Golf courses use gas carts and mow the courses with gas mowers. Diesel delivery trucks run all day long, even when they are parked. Only UPS turns their trucks off when stopped. I was recently in San Diego and just on one block alone, there were 10 different trucks, gas trimmers, chain saws, cars and lawnmowers running at he same time. Its a constant din of gas and diesel motors running. It's amazing that we are not already dead from all of this.

Every American needs to do their part to change this, unless you want yet another lead anchor on your neck. We already cannot afford Medicare and Social Security and they are the lions share of our budget. Soon, disaster relief and FEMA will be just as large.

Things to do:

1) buy an electric car - they have plenty of range now, 300 miles
2) replace all lighting with LEDS
3) replace inefficient or gas heating system with high-efficiency heat-pump
4) stop burning fireplaces unless you need heat
5) replace lawn tools with electric ones
6) seal/insulate your house so it is more efficient
7) stop idling your car when you get in or after you are parked. You can look at your cell-phone without the engine running - DUH!!
8) ride your bike or walk
9) combine tasks and stop making so many car trips during the week. Plan ahead.

The Europeans have been doing this stuff for decades. They know how to conserve and respect the planet. We have no other planet, this is it.

Tesla Model 3 - starts at $35K
View attachment 36544

View attachment 36545

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Great post; it reminds me of the tobacco industry, the tobacco companies, the cigarettes advertising of recent past, of the cancer promotion, of the disease support, of the health hazards propaganda, of the greed in convincing people that death is good for them.

It is the same with oil companies and chemical plastics and lead contaminating our waters and radioactivity in the soil and in the air and exhaust fumes over our cities and smoke from pipes and chimneys and the toxic wastes underground and all that crap killing us and the air we breathe every single day.

Bravo for an intelligent post; I will email it to my nearest congressman living by.
...And to the King of Abu Dhabi.

Last edited by a moderator:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Swapping car batteries like we do with our laptops and tablets and androids and iPads and iPhone's will come; it's just a question of time. And some batteries from those electric cars are going to be good for thousands of charges, lasting years depending of personal usage. ...Just like people switching phones every year for the most recent model, just like people switching cars every two years, just like people still using their flip phones for the last ten years, just like people driving the same car for the last twenty years.

I don't expect to replace my Tesla battery for at least 20 years, and it's older technology. When they perfect nano-carbon technology for batteries, I suspect that batteries will last for 100's of years. They will be higher capacity, less dangerous, non-hazardous and charge faster too.

Steve N.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Great post; it reminds me of the tobacco industry, the tobacco companies, the cigarettes advertising of recent past, of the cancer promotion, of the disease support, of the health hazards propaganda, of the greed in convincing people that death is good for them.

It is the same with oil companies and chemical plastics and lead contaminating our waters and radioactivity in the soil and in the air and exhaust fumes over our cities and smoke from pipes and chimneys and the toxic wastes underground and all that crap killing us and the air we breathe every single day.

Bravo for an intelligent post; I will email it to my nearest congressman living by.
...And to the King of Abu Dhabi.

I have studied Global Warming extensively and have even given some local presentations. What most people don't get, particularly deniers, is that the temps and CO2 level we are experiencing are not really new to our planet, but the rate of change of both temperature and CO2 is new and unprecedented. These kinds of changes always took place in the past over thousands of years or tens of thousands of years. This is happening in hundreds of years. The ONLY explanation is mans CO2 emissions, and it just makes common sense.

slide 6 - Ocean Heat.jpg

See below the actual contributions of power plants and cars in the US. Notice how CO2 from power plants has dropped and is flattening out due to natgas plant conversions, but car emissions continue to increase:

Slide 18 - US gas by sector 1990-2014.jpg

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I don't expect to replace my Tesla battery for at least 20 years, and it's older technology. When they perfect nano-carbon technology for batteries, I suspect that batteries will last for 100's of years. They will be higher capacity, less dangerous, non-hazardous and charge faster too.

Steve N.

LOL, I'll be dead by then !

as for reality ........Americans like to drive and a 300 mile range is a hindrance when it takes time to charge a battery vs. 5 mins for a 'fill up' . I do not see electric taking over until that obstacle is overcome

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Steve N.

Thanks Steve for that fact.

I bet the oil companies are scare less **** their pants. I don't know how in English is the right expression but in French it is: Chercher une porte d'ouverture pour polluer plus nos vies.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I have studied Global Warming extensively and have even given some local presentations. What most people don't get, particularly deniers, is that the temps and CO2 level we are experiencing are not really new to our planet, but the rate of change of both temperature and CO2 is new and unprecedented. These kinds of changes always took place in the past over thousands of years or tens of thousands of years. This is happening in hundreds of years. The ONLY explanation is mans CO2 emissions, and it just makes common sense.

View attachment 36546

See below the actual contributions of power plants and cars in the US. Notice how CO2 from power plants has dropped and is flattening out due to natgas plant conversions, but car emissions continue to increase:

View attachment 36547

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Hi Steve,

This is one of the subjects I am most interested in, but unfortunately I wasn't able to reach an audience of teacher experts on the subject. My started thread on global warming came to an impasse/dead halt; it was demolished before I can get to the crux of the matter. And because of that, its annihilation/lockup, I will never ever contemplate in scientifically learning in deeper depth the reasons why and the scientific analysis from global warming experts, ever. @ least not here.

?http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Global-Warming&p=422516&viewfull=1#post422516
Views: 7,460 (115 replies)

It's no big deal to me, as it is to others having a clear comprehension, knowledge on the subject.
I would love to, to reply to your post with links, with scientific articles, from geologists, from scientists of the planet earth, from analysis in the course of our history measurements, ...perhaps another time in the near future when our planet will start to melt under the world's volcanoes, and ...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ellowstone-%97&p=473873&viewfull=1#post473873
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-the-Antarctic&p=474022&viewfull=1#post474022

This is simply not one of the best subjects here @ WBF, in general.

And I truly, I mean that, appeciate your contribution from your own expert analysis/physical and visual facts.

Last edited:

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com

as for reality ........Americans like to drive and a 300 mile range is a hindrance when it takes time to charge a battery vs. 5 mins for a 'fill up' . I do not see electric taking over until that obstacle is overcome

And your children? and your nieces and nephews? Not a laughing matter.

Charging is a bit slow now, but only if you are almost full already or need a full charge. Most of the time, it's a 30-minute ordeal when travelling across the country. Tesla Superchargers are about every 100 miles across the US and Canada. I need to take a leak every 2-3 hours anyway and eat something, stretch my legs. Americans are in too much of a hurry all the time. Not me.

Besides, most electric drivers for their local driving charge at home. Some even have solar collectors or solar roof tiles combined with a Power Wall that allows the car to charge at night completely free. You actually spend no time at all at charging stations unless you are on vacation. People that don't have electrics don't understand this.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks Steve for that fact.

I bet the oil companies are scare less **** their pants. I don't know how in English is the right expression but in French it is: Chercher une porte d'ouverture pour polluer plus nos vies.

If the oil companies were not scared of losing their profits, they would not be spending tens of millions on television ADs all the time.

Steve N.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Dave, we here have other threads on electric cars, Tesla among them, and with a single charge that will give the electric car drivers a range of 400 miles plus, and beyond...1,000 miles feasible.

And! A quick charge takes less than twenty minutes.

About that!

* And if you ask me for some links right here, and with the specific articles, I would be delighted to provide.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And your children? and your nieces and nephews? Not a laughing matter.

Charging is a bit slow now, but only if you are almost full already or need a full charge. Most of the time, it's a 30-minute ordeal when travelling across the country. Tesla Superchargers are about every 100 miles across the US and Canada. I need to take a leak every 2-3 hours anyway and eat something, stretch my legs. Americans are in too much of a hurry all the time. Not me.

Besides, most electric drivers for their local driving charge at home. Some even have solar collectors or solar roof tiles combined with a Power Wall that allows the car to charge at night completely free. You actually spend no time at all at charging stations unless you are on vacation. People that don't have electrics don't understand this.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

If the oil companies were not scared of losing their profits, they would not be spending tens of millions on television ADs all the time.

Steve N.

Why aren't there more people like you Steve in these necks of the wood?
You are in my zone of learning comfort. ...Very cool.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Hi Steve,

This is one of the subjects I am most interested in, but unfortunately I wasn't able to reach an audience of teacher experts on the subject. My started thread on global warming came to an impasse/dead halt; it was demolished before I can get to the crux of the matter. And because of that, its annihilation/lockup, I will never ever contemplate in scientifically learning in deeper depth the reasons why and the scientific analysis from global warming experts, ever. @ least not here.

?http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Global-Warming&p=422516&viewfull=1#post422516
Views: 7,460 (115 replies)

It's no big deal to me, as it is to others having a clear comprehension, knowledge on the subject.
I would love to, to reply to your post with links, with scientific articles, from geologists, from scientists of the planet earth, from analysis in the course of our history measurements, ...perhaps another time in the near future when our planet will start to melt under the world's volcanoes, and ...

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...ellowstone-%97&p=473873&viewfull=1#post473873
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...-the-Antarctic&p=474022&viewfull=1#post474022

This is simply not one of the best subjects here @ WBF, in general.

And I truly, I mean that, appeciate your contribution from your own expert analysis/physical and visual facts.

It is a difficult subject all over the US because of the unfortunate political situation of a Congress that is bought and paid for by big oil and a Whitehouse that denies CC. Americans (US) don't seem to get upset over that which changes slowly or what does not directly affect them. If it's somebody else drowning in sea surges, they don't care. If it's somebody else burning in wildfires or drowning in a hurricane, they don't care.

The truth is, that we all need to be talking about it, because IT IS THE #1 THREAT TO THE HUMAN RACE. There are organizations that monitor threats worldwide, including nuclear war, disease, famine etc. Global Warming is at the top of the list. It's a existential threat, and not only that, it is accelerating at a rate unexpected by scientists analysis and climate predictions. And believe me, they are good at predicting weather but probably an order of magnitude better at predicting climate change. Their models are amazingly good. Give these guys credit. They know what they are doing.

It is accelerating because of the reinforcing effects of:

-permafrost melting and releasing methane
-trees burning and releasing CO2 and then eliminating the CO2 sink they provided
-reduction of reflecting capacity of the polar caps as they recede
and there are more.....

Here is a simple diagram that explains how the O2-CO2 cycle works:

Scale1.jpg

Notice that only the oceans and the trees absorb CO2. Everything else creates it. Even humans and animals breathing.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
There is not one single word that I cannot disagree with from your above post.
The climate change accord between the world's countries is not something you spit on like that guy from the opposite wall of common sense.

The fires in North California; the electric wires dangling between the electric posts are knocked down by falling tree branches due to high velocity winds blasting @ 50 miles per hour. Those electric wires are live when in contact with those branches, and they produce sparks and those sparks create flames and fires started from those flaming sparks.

How to protect human lives and entire home communities of burning like we are seeing here?
By clearing out those electrical wires. By providing enough space so that when strong winds are blowing that no tree branches and trees can fall on them, or put the electrical wires underground, for the sake of saving human lives...@ least 40 human lives lost so far, and close to 6,000 homes/structures vanished under the fires.

Prevent fires; live electric wires in combination with strong winds are a deadly recipe for human lives, for human memories of a lifetime, for generations, for our homes, for our environment, for global warming.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing