Super Speaker Blog and CES Coverage

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Jeff,
Do not forget to report on the new top of the range Sonus Faber - on this side of the Atlantic we are still recovering from the commotion after the starting demos!

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Magico added . . .

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Vandersteen and Vivid added . . .

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Jeff be sure to not add VSA...oh and thanks for not responding to my PM.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Jeff be sure to not add VSA...oh and thanks for not responding to my PM.

Seeing as they are not showing at CES . . .

I think quite highly of Albert's skills and traded email with him recently.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The first installment of my CES Super Speaker blog is online. Have a read.

This link can also be used for our general CES coverage:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=section&layout=blog&id=8&Itemid=3

Thanks,

Hey Jeff, is that little Paradigm in your blog an active or a self-powered passive speaker? The difference being a true active has separate amps for each driver and active crossover before amplification? I'm curious because you listed it as 110 watts, without separate tweeter/woofer ratings.

Tim

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You are correct, VSA is not participating this year since they are in the middle of relocating their mfg. facility. Since my PM went unanswered I'll reask my question here. Have you had the opportunity of hearing the VR9s or the VR11s? Thanks in advance.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Give Jeff a plane ticket, I'll take care of him here ;)

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
You are correct, VSA is not participating this year since they are in the middle of relocating their mfg. facility. Since my PM went unanswered I'll reask my question here. Have you had the opportunity of hearing the VR9s or the VR11s? Thanks in advance.

Turns out this must be a difficult question.

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Turns out this must be a difficult question.

Geez! Sorry to be too busy with 18-hours days covering CES to attend to your personal needs.

I do recall hearing some of the large VSAs at past shows, but not too recently.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Thank you Jeff. I feel fulfilled now.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I'm very curious to know if you are able to (roughly) compare the Morel Fat Lady's with the Magico Q3's? I've heard neither but both seem to be potential giant killers (as your brief report on the Q3's indicates).

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I also liked tha Vivid line last year at CES, and read more recently that the mid-point model is just as good as the large GiGa giving their respective use cases.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Rather than start a new post, I'd simply like to comment on a few of the speaker systems I heard at CES over the past 2 days.

First, and I might as well get this out of the way, the "best" speaker I heard was the $5500 Magneplanar 3.7s. They were simply stunning. Now, Wendell Diller pulled a few tricks out of his hat in choosing to demo them using Maggie 1.7s as rear channels as well as a Maggie Center channel on his multichannel source material, but that did not detract from what were all heard on the 3.7s. In fact, Wendell specifically played 2 channel material only on the 3.7s as well for completeness sake. The sound was superb. The usual accolades are appropriate; detailed, great imaging, excellent frequency response, low distortion etc. But for me, it was something that is often not mentioned, and that is their vibrancy. They had life. This was totally the opposite of what we heard at the 667K demo at the Lamm room, which was a very expensive lifeless system. Wendell played the old war horse, 1812 overture and I nearly stained the seat looking for a subwoofer that wasn't there when those cannon shots were launched. Emotionally involving on every level. And, get this, although he was of course using Bryston 28s to drive the planars, he was using (I think) some ordinary Lexicon preamp and an inexpensive CD player for the front end, thus making me wonder why we have all been so successfully brain-washed to believe that it takes mega-expensive front ends to have a good sounding system.

Next up, I really enjoyed hearing the big TAD Reference speakers at the VTL room. I had not previously heard Andrew Jones' masterpiece speaker previously, but this set up was a jaw-dropper. I am certain the outstanding VTL electronics contributed significantly to the outstanding sound (7.5III preamp; 450 III amp), but the TADs are a masterpiece in their overall tonal balance top to bottom. Bea Lam pulled out Shastakovich's Symphony #8 performed live by the LSO, and the few of us that were in the room after hours sat in silence as the beautiful sound washed over us. As a complete "I am in the symphony hall" experience the TAD/VTL demo had the edge over the Magenplanar 3.7 demo, but then again, let's return to the over-riding theme of this years CES; namely, value. Or put another way, today's modest cost high performance products are rapidly making the cost-no-object expensive equipment of yesteryear tougher and tougher to justify. Maggie 3.7s @$5500 vs TAD Reference @70K is case in point.

One or two more speaker surprises. I heard some Avalon Transcendent's that I thought sounded particularly good (about 15K?). I also mentioned the drop dead KEF 5.1 system for 2K retail that knocked me out. And finally, a new 3 section Focal monitor on stands for 27K a pair were outstanding. I can imagine that using them full range and augmenting them with a JL Audio Sub woofer would be very impressive indeed, especially as a direct competitor to the Wilson Sashas.

Finally, one non-speaker comment: The software program Amarra was ubiquitous at the show. Meant to enhance the server-based output side of any iTunes library, I was ready to buy it until I heard that iTunes 11 will be announced shortly and that iTunes 11 will be hi-rez compatible. I'll probably take a wait and see approach on Amarra as a result of the impending iTunes 11 announcement.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I was so looking forward to hearing the Fat Lady's at CES. I was vey disappointed. An average sounding speaker at best. Another Valin hype job not deserving of the hype. Specifically, there is a thinness in the 120-150 Hz range that made human voice, particularly Sinatra and the Kings Singers sound a bit too thin. Mid range and top end was good. Could this upper bass thinness have been a room interaction? Sure, but all I can report is what I heard. Really not impressive at all. And the Technical brain amp? Since the overall sound was not great, I can't comment on the amps alone as I don't know the rest of the system to be able to dissect the sound to that degree.

caesar

May 30, 2010
From Soundstage blog: "Many would have you believe you need to spend six figures for super-speaker sound. But that's just not true. Sometimes six figures won't even buy you good sound."

I take most show reports as a lot of hype. People running around all excited for the sake of being excited, talking to other people who are excited for the sake of being excited. Sure there are some speakers at $60K or higher that are quite good. But take a Magnepan as Marty says above, or the Soundlab, which isn't cheap but not exorbitant either (in comparison), and you have reference sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing