Testing and embracing Stacore

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Francisco, I can really see Ron doing digital rips off his AS.

Last edited:

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Later I read that Sorbothane conducts energy at some frequencies, absorbs at others, and stores and releases energy at other frequencies, ...

Not that I'd defend Sorbothane, but what you wrote is a perfectly general description of the frequency behavior of any material :)
The differences are where all those characteristic frequencies are located. To add on the complication, this also depends on a range of other factors than the material, like geometry (the shape), if and how it is attached, to what it is attached, is it glued, welded, screwed etc.

But as I was explaining to Marc long time ago and echoing what's David is saying - even if you know those characteristics, they will in general tell you nothing about the sound. Way too little correlation data on: physical property - sonic influence.

Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sorbothane.
Experimenting with this stuff is the audio equivalent of rolling around with your first sexual partner and hoping for the best.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Of course You can go extreme but how do you know if your extreme brings about the ultimate without comparing with the not-extreme approach? I don’t know if Mike and Christian prepare or plan to make any test with a simple passive solid rack without springs. This isn’t as easy as with the NVS on and off Herzan.

Practicality has its role here. So it really ends at one’s belief not necessary one’s drive for the ultimate in this case.

Kind regards,
Tang

It's not necessary to do anything at all Tang, I can tell in 5 minutes if Herzan is good or bad for AS. I know exactly how things should sound and if anything's off you'll hear it straightaway in the bass. Of course if the system under the influence of a lot of tweaky stuff it needs to be un-tweaked first :)!

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Dave, are you going to be frank on this forum, once The Musketeers get their AS’s installed on respective racks? Mike and Christian on variations of Herzan, Ron and Tang on inert stands (Tang with added Stacore tech).
Ie tell us if you feel Mike and Christian are going down the wrong path with active isolation? Or will you maintain a diplomatic low profile even if you feel AS hamstrung by Herzan? It would be fascinating to know what you might contend is wrong with their final sound if they themselves prefer it.
Fascinatingly, the bass is the first thing that is noted by adopters to improve with active isolation (and passive if Peter’s Vibraplane and my Stacore are included here), so for Dave to state Herzan may easily not get the low end right is a minority view.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Imagine if the designer of the original American Sound turntable has thought to himself, "The current top Micro Seiki is the ultimate, and it is good enough". There would be no American Sound turntable. And then years later, David must have asked further questions which led to a new design of the controller and we have been reading about what followed.

He probably heard the EMT 927 and realized what the SX-8000 was lacking so he made the AS :)! The controller has nothing to do with anything it's about the motor, for years people have known that much of 927's magic comes from it's amazing motor, no one's been able to replicate and no other turntable ever had anything even close to it. AS was living off the same Micro Seiki motors and as good as they are they're not EMT's, this Papst motor seems to be on the same level and this is something I wanted to do for years but never got around to doing it until recently. It's when I had this motor and heard what it brought to table that I decided to do the single production run, with this motor and some minor design calibrations the new AS has something real sonic advantages to offer over the original, I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Herzan's a lab tool and has nothing to do with high end audio or ultimate anything in this field!

Pursuing ultimate sound quality is only one aspect of the hobby. Others are interested in collecting, traveling to hear other systems, getting the latest gear, listening to old favorites with friends, restoring vintage gear. And as I just learned, others are trying to figure it all out or not. I read this in a recent post:

"The most difficult part of the equation for 99.9% of the audiophiles I come across is defining that "BEST", audiophiles for the most part are clueless!"

I wonder who said this, so profound!:)

david

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .
Practicality has its role here. So it really ends at one’s belief not necessary one’s drive for the ultimate in this case.

Kind regards,
Tang

Very well stated, Tang. I pick and choose my particular audiophilia nervosas. I agree with Mike that "everything matters," but I am not in Mike's camp of maximum search for the ultimate in all parameters driving ever closer to perfection.

I aim fairly high and I go primarily by my ears, but I also try to apply some theory, toss in some cost/benefit analysis (but not much, obviously), do what makes sense to me, and then pretty much leave it there.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Dave, are you going to be frank on this forum, once The Musketeers get their AS’s installed on respective racks? Mike and Christian on variations of Herzan, Ron and Tang on inert stands (Tang with added Stacore tech).
Ie tell us if you feel Mike and Christian are going down the wrong path with active isolation? Or will you maintain a diplomatic low profile even if you feel AS hamstrung by Herzan? It would be fascinating to know what you might contend is wrong with their final sound if they themselves prefer it.
Fascinatingly, the bass is the first thing that is noted by adopters to improve with active isolation (and passive if Peter’s Vibraplane and my Stacore are included here), so for Dave to state Herzan may easily not get the low end right is a minority view.

When have I not been frank :)? We might disagree but I just don't see anyone holding back on anything in this group!

david

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

Your curiosity seems to peak late in the night Marc. What are you doing up at this hour ....Woke up to take a pee? :D

Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, I just installed YET ANOTHER tweak (extra shielding to interconnects and platinum spades to spkr cbls), had a bit of a listen, and returned to my fave tt thread ahead of going to bed.
Talking about going for a pee, I’m sure that’s what Dave is inspired to do when he keeps reading about tweaks LOL.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
He takes a dump on the tweaks

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hmm, we’re somewhat OT

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I personally believe in taking Mooks to landfill, not blocking the toilet with them. That would be almost as silly as keeping them in your system.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I’m continuing to dig deep into my music with the Stacore platforms, enabling me to make the most of Sablon cable upgrades too.
I fully realise cash could easily be diverted to bigger pricier signature component upgrades. But I also truly believe that eeking our maximum potential in current gear, especially if you love your core sound as I do, is just as valid a direction. So good is my sound with Stacores, and Sablons, in tow, I very rarely daydream of the top of the range gear in my manufacturers of choice anymore.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I’m continuing to dig deep into my music with the Stacore platforms, enabling me to make the most of Sablon cable upgrades too.
I fully realise cash could easily be diverted to bigger pricier signature component upgrades. But I also truly believe that eeking our maximum potential in current gear, especially if you love your core sound as I do, is just as valid a direction. So good is my sound with Stacores, and Sablons, in tow, I very rarely daydream of the top of the range gear in my manufacturers of choice anymore.

Kedar,

Is Marc hypnotizing himself again?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Kedar,

Is Marc hypnotizing himself again?

He hypnotized me, surely. While reading his post I fell asleep at my desk

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You sleep at your desk Ked.
I’ll just get a whole day’s enjoyable listening in while you’re doing that.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, it’s a VERY good thing I don’t have those Scherzingers in to talk about.
Ked would be in a coma by now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing