Testing and embracing Stacore

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
20171011_123957.jpg

Hello, I don’t know if this is the right thread to post this topic but it does come closest to the description!

Being a proud owner of the Symphonia horns I realize that in a small(ish) room like mine (22 m²), the amount of acoustic (and hence physical) energy in the room and conveyed through the floor is not benefiting the equipment I have. Equipment which, as some may know, is based on tube technology, in the DAC, the preamp and the power amplifiers.

When becoming a distributor for Entreq, I quickly started to test the different decoupling feet they have like the ES Pad and the Lynx feet. These are relatively cheap solutions and, as can be suspected, have a beneficial effect on the equipment I put on it. The main benefits of decoupling, when done right, are in my experience a lowering of the noise floor, more natural top end, better resolution in the bass area. The noise floor lowering brings along benefits like more micro-dynamics, better focus, better legibility of the soundstage, i.e. all contributing to a more natural, non-fatiguing listening experience.

But, alas, one suspects that more is to be gotten from really good isolation. The Entreq products, though very much recommended as lower cost solutions (and I have or had small stillpoints, symposium, aktyna and some others whose name I forgot), were an obvious starting point to look for other types of isolation. So I have been on the lookout in the last twelve months for a solution that would not be too expensive (like +10 k€) and preferably be non-electronic, i.e. passive. The reason for the first criterium is obvious but for the passive criterium, I want to reduce the number of cables, possible break downs, possible audible (transformer) humming, service needs etc. I fell in love with Entreq for its sonic qualities in the first place but the fact that this equipment has no electronic or moving parts inside I find a compelling combination.

Now, having explained that, you will also know why I did not try all these active platforms that are out there, though reading some of the reviews I was tempted to try them out but didn’t.

Came Stacore along as a possible solution and with great reviews, also here on WBF. And looking at their prices I didn’t think it was outlandish, taking into account how the isolation principle is implemented, clearly going further than all other passive solutions I came across. They were present in Munich as well and it was ticking the boxes I had for a platform so I had one unit coming my way. It has not left yet, nor will it… except for customer demos or shows.

I have been describing already what the benefits of decoupling does, well the Stacore Advanced (model I have) does this in such a way that it is as if I had an upgraded preamp or amplifier altogether.
Till now I tested with the new Aries Cerat Genus integrated amplifier and with the Aries Cerat Incito preamplifier. In both cases, when I take the unit off the Stacore platform, the whole sonic message kind of collapses… a very strange and disturbing experience. And the fun part is that set-up is easy (though requiring two people due to the platform’s weight), intuitive and clutter-free (except for a bicycle pump :D).

Finally, a particular experience with the Incito: originally I had the Incito on the platform but on its original feet which incorporates a rubber ring. I found the soundstage to be projected quite forward and that disturbed me. Lowering the pneumatic pressure, so the platform was hardly above the floor, gave me then best results, but I knew I was kind of cancelling some effects of the platform by doing so. Until Stacore, very helpful by the way (!), told me that a direct hard but even contact between the surface and the platform works best. So, out went the rubber rings and suddenly I had all the upsides without the projecting soundstage issue! Wonderful!

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Hi Michel,

Thank you v much for the kind words! I'm very happy we work up to your expectations,
esp. in such a wonderful company as Aries Cerat equipment.

I keep being amazed by how important the equipment - platform interface is....and keep
prototyping our own hard coupling footers. Will be offering them soon.

Cheers,

Reactions: admin1959

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hi Flyer, I'm aiming for a couple more Stacore platforms, for the first time to isolate a tubed component, my NAT Utopia linestage.
So good to hear that the Stacore effect stretches to amps, and not just source components.
And satisfying that my experience is being replicated elsewhere.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Hi Flyer, I'm aiming for a couple more Stacore platforms, for the first time to isolate a tubed component, my NAT Utopia linestage.
So good to hear that the Stacore effect stretches to amps, and not just source components.
And satisfying that my experience is being replicated elsewhere.

When I take into account that the Incito preamp only has three smaller tubes, not even triodes (like Genus)... I will be testing the Basic+ platforms for the Concero65 which have a lot bigger tubes making them even more prone to the effects, just like adyc reported from HongKong.

I would be very suprised if it didn't work with your Utopia.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Flyer, this stuff is addictive.
Best I handle small doses at a time LOL.
By necessity I have to go cdp and preamp first, early 2018, freeing up current Stacore Adv for my tt.
Monos later in the year, and then possibility of pre psu and my tt motor and Straingauge psus sometime 2019.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
When I take into account that the Incito preamp only has three smaller tubes, not even triodes (like Genus)... I will be testing the Basic+ platforms for the Concero65 which have a lot bigger tubes making them even more prone to the effects, just like adyc reported from HongKong.

I would be very suprised if it didn't work with your Utopia.

The biggest shock so far was that our platforms worked under a SS monoblocks!
The effect was there and not barely noticeable.

Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well Jarek, that suggests Stacore under my preamp psu will also benefit. Hmm, one for addressing last I think, after tubed monos sorted.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
May very much be the case, Marc. If it worked under the power transformer (my second biggest shock re vibration sensitivity of the audio chain),
pre PSU is much closer to the signal.

Cheers,

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Jarek, I'm afraid I'm having to make least worst choices here.
I need pre and cdp isolated next (to release a Stacore for tt duties), alongside the one already under bpt.
Once tt, bpt, cdp and pre are covered, then monos, then potentially psus. I will have freed up my Symposium rack by this stage, so psus for tt motor and Straingauge, streamer and dac will a/b on Stacore v the rack at that point.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
MY biggest "problem" with Stacore platform is their actual weight.
i cant put anything on the floor and i wanted to buy some for my sources first, but had to get them on my rack (Solid tech), that will not handle the weight of the Stacore plat' + my TT or others..

Thanks for the good review flyer, great system.

Reactions: hogen

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Byrdparis, yes, Stacore weight is not to be taken lightly LOL.
It sure was easier to handle the 50% less heavy Kuraka and Minus K.
Had the difference in favour of Stacore been marginal, I’d have settled on not purchasing Stacore.
But the differences are not subtle, and for me meant I couldn’t at all easily not choose it.
Luckily I’m able to use it on the floor, but in the long run I’m looking at single floor situated Stacores for preamp, monos and balanced transformer, and a couple of 2-tier racks to accommodate tt and phono psu&motor psu, and cdp&preamp psu.

Last edited:

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
WIN_20171129_14_38_59_Pro.jpg

I got the Basic+ platforms and have them now installed and tested for two days beneath the Aries Cerat Concero65 mono amps.

The effects on the sound?

Bass is now considerably cleaner and faster, quite stunning effect that I did not expect to this extent.
Overall lower noise floor again leading to better separation, more micro-dynamics
Better sound stability: each instruments stands more loose than ever from the other
The highs fly (seemingly) higher as well, albeit in an even more natural way.

In other words, my system is being opened up to its true capability and splendor :), being freed from the microphonics that influence the electronics more than I had imagined.

My system has now three Stacore platforms and I can safely say it is a substantial upgrade of my system. Maybe as I have a small room, the effect is even more pronounced.

I now went to two hifi shows with the Stacore platform and some customer visits are now going to take place. I just hope the customer will let me take my demo units back :) as their set-up is very easy (no electronics, no cables) and immediately rewarding (no burn-in, no calibration). It is a 'never look back' type of product IMO.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Your Concero65 and Stacore look soo beautifully matched.

regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Flyer, funds soon in place for my third and fourth Stacores, early next yr, to cover tt, cdp, tube pre and balanced transformer.
I feel like young Luke being drawn to the Dark Side .
Happy to see you’re so content with your impvts. Stacore performs well past anything you could logically expect.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Your Concero65 and Stacore look soo beautifully matched.

regards,
Tang

Don't they , a match made in heaven. And nothing was customised, it is just a coincidence!

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Flyer, funds soon in place for my third and fourth Stacores, early next yr, to cover tt, cdp, tube pre and balanced transformer.
I feel like young Luke being drawn to the Dark Side .
Happy to see you’re so content with your impvts. Stacore performs well past anything you could logically expect.

+1

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It’s becoming apparent on the active Herzan and Tana threads, that these active platforms are only really suitable situated on absolutely rock solid inert floors, and that Stacore is the default choice for suspended floors, floors with floating sub floors, floors on joists etc. This may well be right, since my active Kuraka v passive Stacore trial was so compelling in favour of Stacore, and I have a (to say the least) challenging 50’ x 35’ 150 yr old flexy suspended timber floor that my 38’ x 18’ audio room is situated on.
But I feel it’s important to state that this is not the same as saying active is guaranteed to be more suited on solid inert floors than Stacore. I really do feel at this level of bleeding edge tech and performance, and price tags to match, that where possible, prospective users ought to try active and Stacore in their rooms.
I’m sure a lot of preferences will be floor dependent, but many will also favour Stacore due to its unique combination of attributes, incl mass loading, constrained layer tech, Rollerballs tech, and up to date use of pneumatic pumps.
No criticism of Herzan, Accurion, Kuraka, Tana implied.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
It’s becoming apparent on the active Herzan and Tana threads, that these active platforms are only really suitable situated on absolutely rock solid inert floors, and that Stacore is the default choice for suspended floors, floors with floating sub floors, floors on joists etc. This may well be right, since my active Kuraka v passive Stacore trial was so compelling in favour of Stacore, and I have a (to say the least) challenging 50’ x 35’ 150 yr old flexy suspended timber floor that my 38’ x 18’ audio room is situated on.
But I feel it’s important to state that this is not the same as saying active is guaranteed to be more suited on solid inert floors than Stacore. I really do feel at this level of bleeding edge tech and performance, and price tags to match, that where possible, prospective users ought to try active and Stacore in their rooms.
I’m sure a lot of preferences will be floor dependent, but many will also favour Stacore due to its unique combination of attributes, incl mass loading, constrained layer tech, Rollerballs tech, and up to date use of pneumatic pumps.
No criticism of Herzan, Accurion, Kuraka, Tana implied.

Marc, a vast majority of our auditionings is on concrete floors. At home I have a suspended floor. I'd risk a statement that the floor is fairly unimportant for a properly designed antivibration platform.
Cheers,

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
It’s becoming apparent on the active Herzan and Tana threads, that these active platforms are only really suitable situated on absolutely rock solid inert floors, and that Stacore is the default choice for suspended floors, floors with floating sub floors, floors on joists etc. (...)

Sorry to disappoint you, but IHMO it is not becoming apparent at all. :)

You can always combine both techniques, as done in some lab applications, or choose the place where you locate the system.

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
Sorry to disappoint you, but IHMO it is not becoming apparent at all. :)

You can always combine both techniques, as done in some lab applications, or choose the place where you locate the system.

V interesting. Could you point me to those applications please?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing