Help me beat my CD Transport

analogsa

Apr 15, 2017
Cascais
What?

Ethernet is PACKETIZED data and in any case, the data likely got messed up BEFORE the packets are created.

This goes a LOT deeper.

I honestly don't know what any of this means. Checking data integrity is one of the simplest tasks. Assuming the renderer produces an I2S data stream it is really trivial to ascertain the sequence of bits is identical to whatever is in the file on the server.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He said ....Properly rip a CD... Reed/Solomon ECC need not apply.

Take 2 identical disks. Lightly scratch one CD surface with a fine grain sandpaper and play back, while comparing to the same CD in pristine condition afterwards. What difference do you observe?

Therein lies the rub.

I do not understand your points and the purpose of damaging CD's.

Audio data in CD's have two levels of correction - one returns exacta data, the other interpolates between samples. I ( and many others in the 80's) have connected counters to the output of the digital decoders to check for CD quality and found that even less cared disks had less than 5 interpolation corrections per disk.

People have captured the SPDIF of good CD transports and found they were bit perfect.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
Hahahaha

So perfect sound forever then!
Reed/Solomon ECC is THE ENEMY!

I am not sure why, but you are intentionally commingling, as a technical matter, two of the theoretical instances where bits differ in play back from the master file. One is an infinitesimal error quantification which hasn't had an impact on SQ for years due to today's optimized ripping software and the other is extreme, intentional, file manipulation (upsampling) done for sport, personal taste or other reasons less understood because, to many, it clearly has a negative effect on SQ in high performance dacs.

In my experience the audiophile vernacular has long ago abandoned the term "bit perfect" as it relates to file ripping (even if it still has a theoretical application, it has no real world impact). Rather, when I see people referring to bit perfect these days they refer to the file manipulation from upsampling/dsp software. If you haven't ripped to the point where error has no impact on sound you can't even begin a conversation about SQ. To that end, your point, and, even more so, the condescension in your point, are lost on me.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
It is reasonable that the renderers would sound different. The question is whether the server/player part still makes a difference.

Sorry I meant server. Same DAC.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Only there are no specs, no fundamental principles, no understanding of cause and effect, at least not in any scientific way. It is all very similar to cabling - development is based entirely on empirical observations.

Sure, and I see nothing wrong with that. If the desired objective is met, I don't really see a problem.

analogsa said:
As for purpose written OS... it seems to have been done but never caused any significant ripples. Look at the SDTrans384 project from Japan: it has the best possible architecture and OS for digital sound reproduction. No issues with wretched USB, noisy ethernet, switches, cabling, water cooled upsamplers, monstrous linear power supplies. Perhaps it can benefit from a better clock. Yet, close to zero interest outside Japan.

Consumers demand a complicated, sonically compromised OS. It needs to have bells and whistles, cover art, animation, remote control by phone app. To read a lot of pointless file types, to do real time compression decoding, run room correction dsp... And then they complain it sounds worse than an old cd player :)

SD cards? You gotta be kidding me. That was a non-starter. You're almost better of sticking with CD players, as it's actually easier than popping SD cards and managing them.

Later on you hinted at what I think is the route going forward. Simple "computers" running bespoke OSes built *inside DACs* or, if external, employing bi-directional I2S interface. Those "endpoints", to use Roon parlance, can be made simple as the heavy computing (the bells and whistels you judge "pointless", but the vast majority of the world does not) can be done elsewhere, and the audio just piped over Ethernet directly into that little computer inside the DAC.
That server, sitting elsewhere on the network, will still require proper love and care in its build, but due to the interface (or lack of one, given the endpoint is built right next to the DAC), it'll be a lot less susceptible to the usual gremlins.
Another thing that the CD spinning brigade uses agains computer audio is how the servers sound different, and/or seemingly "get better" all the time (as if that is a bad thing in itself)... Well, I do remember an experiment, in the early stages of computer audio, where people would rip commercial CDs ("bit perfect"), then burn the music back onto good quality CD-Rs. And lo and behold, the burnt CD-R would sound better! I don't think the reason why was ever explain, but still, even spinning CDs come with its quirks and tricks.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Another thing that the CD spinning brigade uses agains computer audio is how the servers sound different, and/or seemingly "get better" all the time (as if that is a bad thing in itself)...

Of course it's not a bad thing. But computer audio was perfect to begin with because allegedly there was no jitter to speak of. Remember? Perfect Sound Forever. Computer audio constantly seems to choke on its own hype.

Well, I do remember an experiment, in the early stages of computer audio, where people would rip commercial CDs ("bit perfect"), then burn the music back onto good quality CD-Rs. And lo and behold, the burnt CD-R would sound better! I don't think the reason why was ever explain, but still, even spinning CDs come with its quirks and tricks.

I don't think any of those that are spinning CDs have ever claimed that doing so delivered a perfect result, only one that is hard to beat.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Of course it's not a bad thing. But computer audio was perfect to begin with because allegedly there was no jitter to speak of. Remember? Perfect Sound Forever. Computer audio constantly seems to choke on its own hype.

No, I don't remember any such claim.
If anything, there was nothing ever "perfect" about computer audio. There never was, and likely never will, as software fails, and there'll always be nagging bugs and improvements to be made.
Seems to me you're making those claims on behalf of computer audio advocates.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Pardon my ignorance, but have not ethernet renderers put an end to file server optimization, both in hardware and software terms? No first hand experience, but those appear like an ultralight NAA device with no operating system a simple interface directly to dac chips. Very little opportunity to screw anything up provided ethernet isolation is good.

Pretty much. I don't care what computer I use. Sounds identical. Now it is still possible that some software might muck-up the data with DSP for volume control etc.. Roon users have said that earlier releases sounded "soft" compared to recent release.

Steve N.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Roon updates are not supposed to improve SQ, but add features and generally make the experience better.

Sorry, I've heard different. Maybe they are not supposed to, but apparently they do, according to some.

"Yeah, Roon sounds a bit soft." -- "But hey, the most recent upgrades have cured the problem." Yadayada.

Roon users have said that earlier releases sounded "soft" compared to recent release.

Thanks, Steve, for confirming that I didn't make this up.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Well, I do remember an experiment, in the early stages of computer audio, where people would rip commercial CDs ("bit perfect"), then burn the music back onto good quality CD-Rs. And lo and behold, the burnt CD-R would sound better! I don't think the reason why was ever explain, but still, even spinning CDs come with its quirks and tricks

Absolutely. The reason is that the commercial CD pits are not as clean as the CD-R because it is "pressed" or molded rather than burned. Cleaner pits equals lower jitter.

There are lots of tweaks to CD's to lower their jitter. This is just one of them.

All of these tweaks are unnecessary if one uses a reclocker BTW.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Thanks, Steve, for confirming that I didn't make this up.

The devil is in the details. If playback software did no DSP at all, or had a method to completely bypass all DSP, Ethernet servers should sound identical. It's just data, same as the document data you write to your disk. That is never changed.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

zbub

Jun 27, 2013
Zeros are zeros and ones are ones. Making however many digital copies will not change that. A 440 Hz piano note will not suddendly become a violin note. Lossless decoding are absolutely bit perfect to the source. We ALL know that and it's been proven pretty much since day-one. Too bad we can't listen to zeros and ones.

For those of us who observe the differences listening to physical discs and prefer them over the ripped/downloaded file, we (at least in my part) are expressing what we observed. I still believe why that remained to be the case is because we still do not know enough of this more-complicated-than-imagined music streaming chain.

What about this? Has anyone downloaded the same music from several download providers and compare them? Technically all the files were bit perfect and shouldn't be any differences which computer servers the files were from, but I am willing to bet there are differences.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Pretty much. I don't care what computer I use. Sounds identical. Now it is still possible that some software might muck-up the data with DSP for volume control etc.. Roon users have said that earlier releases sounded "soft" compared to recent release.

Steve N.

Most Roon users use DSP and volume control in their systems, even inadvertently - it happened to me! These features surely varied with versions - it is why I think that these opinions are not relevant to what is being debated "bit perfect" and Ethernet connections.

Empirical Audio

Industry Expert
Oct 12, 2017
Great Pacific Northwest
www.empiricalaudio.com
Zeros are zeros and ones are ones. Making however many digital copies will not change that. A 440 Hz piano note will not suddendly become a violin note. Lossless decoding are absolutely bit perfect to the source. We ALL know that and it's been proven pretty much since day-one. Too bad we can't listen to zeros and ones.

For those of us who observe the differences listening to physical discs and prefer them over the ripped/downloaded file, we (at least in my part) are expressing what we observed. I still believe why that remained to be the case is because we still do not know enough of this more-complicated-than-imagined music streaming chain.

What about this? Has anyone downloaded the same music from several download providers and compare them? Technically all the files were bit perfect and shouldn't be any differences which computer servers the files were from, but I am willing to bet there are differences.

I have ripped files with 2 different rippers and they are always checksum compared to many other rips other people have done. Always 100% bit-perfect. I think the main thing with playback software is DSP. If you use WMP, even the OS software stack comes into play further applying DSP. Most USB playback software has this problem, so different players sound different. Even different releases of the same software sound different.

This is why I changed to Ethernet. At least it has a chance of being bit-perfect if the playback software doesn't muck it up.

Another thing that can easily change audio quality is offset. If this is not properly calculated or transferred in the copy, the data will be identical but it will still sound different. I have several copies of the same track with different offsets and they all sound slightly different. At least with XLD on Mac and DBpoweramp, the offset is maintained and checked.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
No, I don't remember any such claim.
If anything, there was nothing ever "perfect" about computer audio. There never was, and likely never will, as software fails, and there'll always be nagging bugs and improvements to be made.
Seems to me you're making those claims on behalf of computer audio advocates.

Don't forget CD transports where many claim a difference, even those on this thread (and many do not ironically). I also have numerous friends who have transports without sources of parts now - one had a Pioneer PD-65 and its now a doorstop. Look what the SCD1 went through as well. I'm not sure why a server is different or the point relevant.

I did tests years ago with an original Mac Mini + ATV1 vs. $1500 Denon SACD player and sold the CDP. Maybe that wasn't a good enough transport, I dunno but it had a pretty robust platter as I recall. To each their own.

re: computer audio, I think basically Roon has taken the audiophile world by storm - everyone I talk to is curious or already going in that direction. It seems like it is reducing the computer audio clutter and putting it on a single path as the software is superior to everything out there, integrates wonderfully with existing collections, and is so intuitive.

the biggest issue with computer audio historically has been burning large cd collections - and why i was reticent to begin despite even a smaller one. Now you have budding audiophiles without the need. stream and buy vinyl, best of both worlds.

Pb Blimp

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I honestly don't know what any of this means. Checking data integrity is one of the simplest tasks. Assuming the renderer produces an I2S data stream it is really trivial to ascertain the sequence of bits is identical to whatever is in the file on the server.

I am not sure why, but you are intentionally commingling, as a technical matter, two of the theoretical instances where bits differ in play back from the master file. One is an infinitesimal error quantification which hasn't had an impact on SQ for years due to today's optimized ripping software and the other is extreme, intentional, file manipulation (upsampling) done for sport, personal taste or other reasons less understood because, to many, it clearly has a negative effect on SQ in high performance dacs.

In my experience the audiophile vernacular has long ago abandoned the term "bit perfect" as it relates to file ripping (even if it still has a theoretical application, it has no real world impact). Rather, when I see people referring to bit perfect these days they refer to the file manipulation from upsampling/dsp software. If you haven't ripped to the point where error has no impact on sound you can't even begin a conversation about SQ. To that end, your point, and, even more so, the condescension in your point, are lost on me.

I have ripped files with 2 different rippers and they are always checksum compared to many other rips other people have done. Always 100% bit-perfect. I think the main thing with playback software is DSP. If you use WMP, even the OS software stack comes into play further applying DSP. Most USB playback software has this problem, so different players sound different. Even different releases of the same software sound different.

This is why I changed to Ethernet. At least it has a chance of being bit-perfect if the playback software doesn't muck it up.

Another thing that can easily change audio quality is offset. If this is not properly calculated or transferred in the copy, the data will be identical but it will still sound different. I have several copies of the same track with different offsets and they all sound slightly different. At least with XLD on Mac and DBpoweramp, the offset is maintained and checked.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Yes Steve, you are once again right here. In today's digital world, not being bit perfect relates much more to the use of DSP than the file transfer or ripping process. Unfortunately, there are still a few usb dacs and low-end dacs on the market that must use upsampling to sound good. I think some guys who are fans of these dacs make spurious comments trying to negate the superiority of bit perfect versus dsp. I try to avoid the stuff that is illogical on its face. In my experience, the future is most definitely ethernet to I2S (near the DAC clock) of bit perfect files (meaning no DSP). Trying to argue that a modern ripped file is somehow as flawed as a file that has been run through DSP is just silly IMO.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
the biggest issue with computer audio historically has been burning large cd collections - and why i was reticent to begin despite even a smaller one. Now you have budding audiophiles without the need. stream and buy vinyl, best of both worlds.

Except that streamed files often seem to be watermarked. Here is a pretty audible watermark:

http://www.mattmontag.com/music/universals-audible-watermark

So we buy expensive high-end gear only to be treated to this?

Here are other discussions:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,111198/topicseen.html

https://www.audioasylum.com/cgi/vt.mpl?f=pcaudio&m=156004

If that's the streaming world I'm out, at least for serious listening (I can pick my music to buy on YouTube too).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) I also have numerous friends who have transports without sources of parts now - one had a Pioneer PD-65 and its now a doorstop. (...)

A 25 years transport old CD transport is now a doorstop, although we can find the manual and the service manual on the net, but probably a 10 k server will also be a doorstop in 5 years ...

All the expensive CD players I have owned are still playing in other owners systems, except one disastrous unnamed player that had a SACD mechanism. But I have access to a good technician who manages to service most players.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing