Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627

Thread: Help me beat my CD Transport

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by wisnon View Post
    Agreed, you shouldnt have! People have been working on both software and hardware refinement and improvements happen all the time
    Yes, and they declared file replay perfect already a decade ago, based on the jitter argument. Reminds me of Perfect Sound Forever. People just never learn.

Enuff preachy stuff now AL. ...go forth and sin (musically) no more. LoL
    I will, by sticking to my transport, LOL.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Yes the trick is to turn a nasty general purpose PC into a music player without using a thin sounding OS. This means choosing the right Mobo with proper electrical subsystem handling, with proper shielding, proper filters on the drives, proper power being fed to the whole box, proper, separation of functions of the internal drives, proper isolation of the incoming signal, proper formatting of all, effective jitter reducing software, effective bios tweaking, effective throttling of the OS and CPU.

Basically, making the computer into a BAD general processing computer and into a great music server/player. I find when you do this, you dont have bandwith for upsampling and other fancy resource eating stuff. You just have a divine native rate playback beast.
    Sounds like a reasonable strategy to get the best out of it.

Addicted to Best!
    As I discussed, jitter is the ONLY issue with transports, computers and servers that have S/PDIF coax digital output. For DACs that have USB input, it is the jitter of the master clock in that interface. It is ALL about jitter.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Addicted to Best!
    Agreed, you shouldnt have! People have been working on both software and hardware refinement and improvements happen all the time.

Yes the trick is to turn a nasty general purpose PC into a music player without using a thin sounding OS. This means choosing the right Mobo with proper electrical subsystem handling, with proper shielding, proper filters on the drives, proper power being fed to the whole box, proper, separation of functions of the internal drives, proper isolation of the incoming signal, proper formatting of all, effective jitter reducing software, effective bios tweaking, effective throttling of the OS and CPU.

Basically, making the computer into a BAD general processing computer and into a great music server/player. I find when you do this, you dont have bandwith for upsampling and other fancy resource eating stuff. You just have a divine native rate playback beast.
    I agree, but only when using USB. If you use Ethernet, the computer becomes a "don't-care".

The only thing to optimize is the router or switch that feeds the DAC, the Ethernet cabling that connects the two, and the playback software. Much simpler and cheaper.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Al M. View Post
    Yes, and they declared file replay perfect already a decade ago, based on the jitter argument. Reminds me of Perfect Sound Forever. People just never learn.

I will, by sticking to my transport, LOL.
    LoL

I never bought into the Perfect Sound BS.

yes....your (good) CD player will beat an averagely tweaked Server, but never a killer server and killer Dac combo.

Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Empirical Audio View Post
    I agree, but only when using USB. If you use Ethernet, the computer becomes a "don't-care".

The only thing to optimize is the router or switch that feeds the DAC, the Ethernet cabling that connects the two, and the playback software. Much simpler and cheaper.

Steve N.
    Empirical Audio

I disagree, it may be less but simply changing OS alters the sound characteristics significantly. Ethernet is also packetized data and has its issue. There is also electrical interference to conquer and there is embedded jitter to deal with. Jitter within bytes.

Finally, to receive Ethernet in the Dac, thre is normally some small Linux computer. This means Linux sound flavour and also is Hummingbird better than RaspPi?

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627