Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi | Official New Trailer

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I saw the movie and enjoyed it. Disney did feature a few cute little creatures for marketing purposes but not as bad as in some previous Star Wars movies. Nothing as terrible as Jar Jar Binks.

Seems that some Star Wars cultists didn't like the film and critics liked the film better than movie ticket buyers on Rotten Tomatoes. I have seen most of the Star Wars films but I don't consider myself a Star Wars nerd so I didn't go in with any preconceived notions. Just looking for entertainment and it did that.

At 2 1/2 hours it was a bit long in my view but moved quickly and was action packed for the most part.

Edit - by the way, I am on the older side and I am only good for about two hours at the movies. One of my issues with extra long movies relates to the bladder and other parts of the male anatomy as you younger guys will come to know in due time. :)

Jar Jar or the Ewoks? Toss up for the worst aliens ever.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The expert professional movie critics they all love The Last Jedi.
They all give high movie scores.
The people who go see it in cinemas across the globe they all vote generously with their heart and wallets wide open, with millions of dollars filling the vaults of Disney studios, in high breaking records.

However, the hardcore Star Wars fans, the ones high on Star drugs, they have a lot to criticize.
Are the filmmakers today making movies for the fans or the movie studios?
Or are they making films to entertain the general public?

It's hard to tell who's Jedi is more crazy; the filmmaker or everyone else.

https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/12/18/16791844/star-wars-last-jedi-backlash-controversy

That article also contains a spoilers warning.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I saw it earlier today. All in all I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a bit slow at times and I almost dozed off but then other scenes drew me in. There were a lot of comedic touches throughout the film but especially during the first few minutes. I could almost stand on its own without any prior knowledge of the series. That helps someone like me who hasn't seen III. IV or V in 30 years and never saw II or III.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I forgot about the Ewoks. They could have been worse than Jar Jar.

There was only one Jar Jar and there were thousands (millions?) of Ewoks.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I would call this movie a total masterpiece in the Star Wars saga. Immense.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Funny, I found it just above a C-grade movie. Better than Force Awakens, but that's a low bar.

I mean honestly, the storyline is just bad and repetitive of 40 years of Star Wars. Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill needed to depart long ago and sucked way too much time onscreen. The best part was Benicio del Toro who had all of 7 minutes of screen time - and who wisely surmised that the battle between the Empire and Rebellion was just a serious of repetitive battles with no end.

Gee, exactly what the franchise needed was yet another Luke/Vader-type conflict. And *spoiler* - using the force to save oneself from space was laughable. And the "twist" at the end wasn't much better.

the Star Wars franchise needs a 100% new direction. One that doesn't rely on rehashing storylines from the 70s. Embrace the new characters (who were much better with less millennial humor this time around) and move onward!

...steps off soap box.

JayR

Feb 28, 2015
Funny, I found it just above a C-grade movie. Better than Force Awakens, but that's a low bar.

I mean honestly, the storyline is just bad and repetitive of 40 years of Star Wars. Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill needed to depart long ago and sucked way too much time onscreen. The best part was Benicio del Toro who had all of 7 minutes of screen time - and who wisely surmised that the battle between the Empire and Rebellion was just a serious of repetitive battles with no end.

Gee, exactly what the franchise needed was yet another Luke/Vader-type conflict. And *spoiler* - using the force to save oneself from space was laughable. And the "twist" at the end wasn't much better.

the Star Wars franchise needs a 100% new direction. One that doesn't rely on rehashing storylines from the 70s. Embrace the new characters (who were much better with less millennial humor this time around) and move onward!

...steps off soap box.

+1

Totally agree with you. Saw the movie last night. The storyline seems really void of any new ideas. I agree that They need a completely new direction if they are making any more sequels. Benicio was the best part and wasn’t featured for more than a few minutes as a 10sec codebreaker. Pretty sad.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

...steps off soap box.

I agree. But they have to give it a shot @ what's old and financially profitable in their investment.
If they try new, the fear of losing from fresh could have consequences veering into negatory financial disasters. They had to bank on the solid established fan's base. It's not cinema art it's cinema business.

I think.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing