Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi | Official New Trailer

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We are seeing this tomorrow. Has anyone seen this yet?

I genuinely liked The Empire Strikes Back. Will I like this new
movie?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I didn't see it Ron, but my best guess is yes; you and I and many more would enjoy it, very. The trailers look solid [strike]bitcoin[/strike] gold, back to Star Wars form as we know and love it, a kind of return of the [strike]king[/strike] Jedi from the lord of the [strike]rings[/strike] stars in the galaxy's empire.

The film critics they loved it, from many sources. And the film lovers already voted with their bitcoin wallets in the wide open space of ticket masters. Anything less is lost in the vast universe.

In simple words; I'm encouraging you to go see it even if I didn't make it yet.
I'm a Star Wars fan, heavily invested, even in 3D all the way. By the way, I've read that in 3D it's good. So if you're into 3D you have that option too, and it wouldn't disappoint...depending of your local 3D theater.

(((•))) https://www.cinemablend.com/news/17...-buy-the-right-star-wars-the-last-jedi-ticket

And then there is 2D Dolby Cinema, with Vision and Atmos.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star-wars-the-last-jedi-amc-late-night-screenings-1202640105/
https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/...emieres-in-dolby-vision-and-dolby-atmos/40463
https://m.facebook.com/dolbycinema/

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
We saw it tonight and neither of us particularly cared for it.

Compared to The Empire Strikes Back I found this movie contrived and heavy-handed. Instead of the Force being some sort of natural and organic and in some way delicate phenomenon now the Force does two-way video and teleportation.

We both found the injected bits of humor dopey and the action sequences very Matrix-like.

And after seeing Adam Driver act convincingly in innumerable hipster-type roles I find him totally unconvincing as the weepy and angst-ridden heir to Darth Vader.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I liked it :)

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I saw it last night, after friends told me the movie was great. So I felt weird finding it mediocre at best... But check IMDB, and you'll see a lot of the same complaints that I have...

Weak story lines, weak casting, no character development, etc...

This is probably the Star Wars with the least amount of battles and light saber fights, and the little that's there is not really that great...

Seems like a missed opportunity to me...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Personally I liked the movie.

The opening bomber scene was a wonderful homage to WWII B-17 flying over the Nazi homeland, keeping the Empire/New Order is a representation of the Nazi Third Reich theme alive. I really enjoy Adam Driver, his raw emotion and angst is exactly what the character demands. Lastly I'll say that Mark Hamill was simply excellent.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
its weird - Rotten Tomatoes is like 93% critics, but only 56% audience.

seems the disparity hit this thread.

Exactly what happened to the latest Blade Runner. Millennials simply can't take a movie over 1.5 hours. Maybe if they were allowed to view their Snap Chat accounts during the screening......

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
as the LA Rams went up 20-0 over my Seahawks early in the second quarter, I knew it was time to bail out. checked on line and bought a Star Wars ticket for the 3:30pm showing.

liked it. maybe loved it. I don't tend to over-think these things. it made me forget about the Seahawks. will go a couple times more.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Seems like casual fans are enjoying it, but the hard core followers are finding tons of issues with it.

I'm far from hard core fan, but I did leave the movie with a weird feeling that it really didn't add much to the series, not for what it showed (like the prequels), but more for what it didn't show.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Exactly what happened to the latest Blade Runner. Millennials simply can't take a movie over 1.5 hours. Maybe if they were allowed to view their Snap Chat accounts during the screening......

I'm a 1.75 hour guy Gen Xer :)

I wasn't a fan of Force Awakens and actually thought Rogue was better. How does this compare to them?

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm old, so the length didn't bother me. It bothered me more that nothing ever happened. There is some build up, but the outcomes are always very anti-climatic.

Force Awakens was better thant his, and Rogue was a complete throwaway. This one will likely be remembered by how bad it is...

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

I wasn't a fan of Force Awakens and actually thought Rogue was better. How does this compare to them?

Absolutely loved Rogue One, dark and violent. I'd put this movie in the middle between Rogue One (my favorite Star Wars movie) and The Force Awakens.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I'm old, so the length didn't bother me. It bothered me more that nothing ever happened. There is some build up, but the outcomes are always very anti-climatic.

Force Awakens was better thant his, and Rogue was a complete throwaway. This one will likely be remembered by how bad it is...

The last three Lucas movies were so bad that anythings is an improvement. Sadly the bar was set extremely low by the creator.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines

I liked Rogue One better too. I personally liked this better.

I used to be disappointed in the new movies until I watched the original 3 again. It was only then that I better appreciated the new movies. I like that this now sets up a new and concrete duality and that this is now the central theme. It's not a struggle for one to win over the other but rather whether there will be balance between the two. While this has always been the central conflict of the Star Wars universe, here it is really brought to the fore. I also like that they appeared to be taking notes from GOT, offing characters we expected to be around for at least another film. Finally, technically it is a visual masterpiece. The motion physics is the best I've ever seen to date. The rendering was just superb. Heck, go all the way to costume. It is obvious that no expense was spared on the details. Luke's robotic hand even had the score marks from Vader's saber. Best of all, the future is now wide open.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
We saw it tonight and neither of us particularly cared for it.

Compared to The Empire Strikes Back I found this movie contrived and heavy-handed. Instead of the Force being some sort of natural and organic and in some way delicate phenomenon now the Force does two-way video and teleportation.

We both found the injected bits of humor dopey and the action sequences very Matrix-like.

And after seeing Adam Driver act convincingly in innumerable hipster-type roles I find him totally unconvincing as the weepy and angst-ridden heir to Darth Vader.

Sorry that you guys didn't care that much for it, Ron.
Si-fi movies are like hi-fi setups, we like some more than others, and not necessarily by the same people.

Did you guys see Blade Runner 2049, Dunkirk?
___

* Extra: http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star-wars-episode-viii---the-last-jedi

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I liked Rogue One better too. I personally liked this better.

I used to be disappointed in the new movies until I watched the original 3 again. It was only then that I better appreciated the new movies. I like that this now sets up a new and concrete duality and that this is now the central theme. It's not a struggle for one to win over the other but rather whether there will be balance between the two. While this has always been the central conflict of the Star Wars universe, here it is really brought to the fore. I also like that they appeared to be taking notes from GOT, offing characters we expected to be around for at least another film. Finally, technically it is a visual masterpiece. The motion physics is the best I've ever seen to date. The rendering was just superb. Heck, go all the way to costume. It is obvious that no expense was spared on the details. Luke's robotic hand even had the score marks from Vader's saber. Best of all, the future is now wide open.

Jack, you are an excellent film critic.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
I saw the movie and enjoyed it. Disney did feature a few cute little creatures for marketing purposes but not as bad as in some previous Star Wars movies. Nothing as terrible as Jar Jar Binks.

Seems that some Star Wars cultists didn't like the film and critics liked the film better than movie ticket buyers on Rotten Tomatoes. I have seen most of the Star Wars films but I don't consider myself a Star Wars nerd so I didn't go in with any preconceived notions. Just looking for entertainment and it did that.

At 2 1/2 hours it was a bit long in my view but moved quickly and was action packed for the most part.

Edit - by the way, I am on the older side and I am only good for about two hours at the movies. One of my issues with extra long movies relates to the bladder and other parts of the male anatomy as you younger guys will come to know in due time. :)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing