Back in time, the good time, in 1956, when spinning albums and listening from Quad ESL speakers ...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sixty-one years later today the pipe is still present with some listeners, and the wife by his side...sometimes. :b
I just stumbled by pure hazard on Stereophile's one of the very last articles.

? https://www.stereophile.com/content/quad-esl-loudspeaker

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Nice picture. At home looks like he is wearing a suit and she is wearing heels. Great wall paper and curtains, too. They look like they are sitting on either side of the center line. The ESL's were pretty beamy as I remember - need to sit in the relatively narrow sweet spot. Also make that singular - "Speaker" in 1956. Some stereo tapes had been released, but for vinyl from the major brands, you had to wait until 1958.

Are those also Quad electronics?

Larry

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
You are right, there is only a single mono speaker in that photo.

The electronics, I don't know; we are seeing a console here with what appears to have a retractable amplifier (mono?) and an analog radio tuner (AM mono?).
There could also be a platine under the center top console...78 mono.

Audio is fun; since we were very young and still today. I am relatively young myself so I only remember reading audio mags from the sixties. My elders lived in a fantastic musical Era...the Charleston jazz.
Anyone here?

* Those chairs, they still make them...a very similar design.
** The woman is holding something in her left hand, could you make what it is?
*** Are the fruits on the small table real or plastic fake?
**** Who is the artist's name of the painting on the wall?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
....when being made to sit facing the corner was not a punishment :D

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
Looks like Quad preamp and tuner.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing