PS Audio Regenerator versus Balanced Power/Isolation Transformer for Phono Stage?

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
I use a lot of Vertex AQ components in my system, including the Alethia PSU2 balanced power supply, Roraima Hi-Rez mains cables and Silver Jaya shunt filters.

Probably not well known outside the UK, but the inclusion of these items have seriously elevated the performance of my system.

The noise floor is very low, with each front end component being fed balanced power and in turn isolated from each other.

I run my dCS Vivaldi Transport, DAC, Clock, Upsampler and Conrad Johnson GAT2 preamp from the balanced PSU. The CJ Premier 350SA power amp benefits from the RFI/EMI reducing capabilities and Silver Jaya filtering of the Alethiea PSU2 unlimited outlet, which does not constrict current delivery or dynamics.

http://vertexaq.com/aletheia-psu-2/

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I owned the Vertex Hi res Taga. It was good , but I don't think it was stellar. I was quite disappointed by their cables and isolation platforms.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
XCop, I don't get why the power amps are bypassed from the transformer in yr PSU2?
For this level of kit and elevated price level, it should be able to
run even juicy amps.
Seems like a missed opportunity.
My Westwick 8K has no issues running my pretty thirsty NATs SETs, which idle at 950W.

XCop5089

Sep 5, 2015
Winchester, UK
XCop, I don't get why the power amps are bypassed from the transformer in yr PSU2?
For this level of kit and elevated price level, it should be able to
run even juicy amps.
Seems like a missed opportunity.
My Westwick 8K has no issues running my pretty thirsty NATs SETs, which idle at 950W.

Marc,

The combined balanced power output from the four outlets on the Alethiea PSU2 is 300 watts, which is suitable for source components , but not current-hungry power amps like my CJ.

The Alethiea PSU2 provides two high-current, unlimited outlets for pass through of power amplifiers. Routing the power to the power amp through the Alethiea does provide a benefit from the built-in Silver Jaya shunt filter and EMI/RFI suppression.

Steve Elford of Vertex sums it up in the Hi Fi+ review:-

“Not taking the amp feed through the transformer is a benefit in our view,” said Steve Elford of Aletheia when discussing the power amp bypass, “because your not ‘current pulsing’ the transformer with the high current energy being drawn by the amps. This would make the transformer vibrate more, change the shape of the voltage waveform more – and so on.” So, perhaps ‘bypass’ is the wrong way of thinking about the PSU-2.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
XCop, sure, no criticism intended, every solution in audio has its own set of parameters.
Eg my Westwick is more powerful than your PSU2 and can accommodate pwr amps, but it has no Vertex style noise reduction built in, so is a little boisterousness aka audible hum if you're within 3m of it (this is mitigated a bit by the Stacore Adv it sits on).
For my part, running the pwr amps out of the wall socket leads to worse SQ, so I'm v happy my Westwick can accommodate my NATs SETs.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have only one main criteria for judging sound and that's "Naturalness", the rest of it is just icing and a matter of setup, room tuning etc., unlike isolation transformers that different things can happen to the sound with inverters/regenerators it's an overall affect; IME the sound always becomes less "Natural". Of course based on ones starting point, system tweaks, setup, location, tastes, regenerated electricity might be an improvement or balancing act. You have a very intricate ground network installed on your property you need to asses that first on its own before introducing anything else power related.

david

Thank you, David.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
David and Ron, the Westwick here is the very epitome of natural. Has enabled my musical
foundation to firm up, but no restriction to the music soaring.
Again Ron, you've heard how it sounds, what did you think?
Regenerators have never worked out for me.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Ron, you've heard how it sounds, what did you think? . . .

Marc, I heard the system only with the Westwick in the circuit. We didn't do any comparison with it and without it, so how could I possibly know what the balanced power box was contributing (or taking away)?

I am sure you're right -- I will be getting a Torus device -- but, theoretically, I could have preferred the sound of your system without the Westwick. I simply have no idea.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, our tastes converge
W'out the Westwick, the sound is thinner, greyer, grittier
It's ok
With the Westwick all that dense tone and natural warmth/texture you heard to make you borderline like my cds comes back
No contest

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I wish I could help Ron. I have the Equi-Core balanced power in for review and it works but I have no PS Audio regenerator to compare it to.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Lee!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thank you, Lee!

I will make this observation: the PS Audio room with the P20 sounded incredible and the noise floor was very low. They had one on static display and it looked very well built.

TerryBrent

Dec 7, 2019
Gentleman, I am aware this is quite an old thread I just stumbled upon, but for sake of research I would love to offer a free 30 day trial of an equitech 2rq for you to A/B with your current equipment. I would really appreciate the feedback.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Terry,

Thank you for posting your offer, and welcome to WBF!

A very good friend of mine who lives near my temporary residence in Long Beach, CA, just received a PS Audio P10. He (I am hereby volunteering him without checking with him first!) and I would be very curious to make in his system the comparison you suggest!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Hello Terry. I know I’m relatively new to the WBF world, but I’ve had the fortune over the years via other forums to be able to do comparisons of various sorts. I have a P15 and would very much like to be part of this trial.

vert

Oct 26, 2015
I use a lot of Vertex AQ components in my system, including the Alethia PSU2 balanced power supply, Roraima Hi-Rez mains cables and Silver Jaya shunt filters.

Probably not well known outside the UK, but the inclusion of these items have seriously elevated the performance of my system.

The noise floor is very low, with each front end component being fed balanced power and in turn isolated from each other.

Nosie floor is going to much, much lower using Vertex than PS audio power regenerators.

I have owned both.

It's too bad nobody knows about Vertex (now Quiescent) outside of the UK.

Rumpole

Aug 26, 2023
Colorado, USA
Here is a review of the Quiescent T500VA. I think I have pretty good power from my utility, but I'm wondering about adding a power conditioner or regenerator. The PS Audio regenerators do have great reviews - I was thinking about trying the PS Audio P12 that is on sale this month. I also have solar battery generators that I can use, EcoFlow and GroWatt, that are supposed to generate a perfect sine wave, and that could be another option.

I get these voltage reports from my Ting monitor - is this useful for characterizing my utility power for audio quality?

1709585372911.png

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Here is a review of the Quiescent T500VA. I think I have pretty good power from my utility, but I'm wondering about adding a power conditioner or regenerator. The PS Audio regenerators do have great reviews - I was thinking about trying the PS Audio P12 that is on sale this month. I also have solar battery generators that I can use, EcoFlow and GroWatt, that are supposed to generate a perfect sine wave, and that could be another option.

I get these voltage reports from my Ting monitor - is this useful for characterizing my utility power for audio quality?

View attachment 126426
Rumpole, I see you’re in Colorado. If this readout is correct, then it seems for part of the day your AC voltage is riding above the 126 VAC limit which is defined as maximum (+5%), and apart from that you seem to be otherwise running at 125 VAC, which is certainly at the upper limit of the acceptable range. Not sure if using a regenerator to provide a stable 120 VAC will help, but it’d be interesting to hear your results if you tried it. You might want to call your provider to see if they can check your incoming voltage and confirm that they see it exceeding 126V.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing