PS Audio Regenerator versus Balanced Power/Isolation Transformer for Phono Stage?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Specifically in the context of a phono preamplifier . . . has anyone compared carefully the noise reduction or improvement in sound quality resulting from plugging your phono preamplifier into a PS Audio P5 or P10 versus a balanced power/isolation transformer such as an Equi-Tech or a Torus or a Furman?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you know my views on balanced power
I thought my sound had dynamics before I installed my 8kVA unit.
I was wrong.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Specifically in the context of a phono preamplifier . . . has anyone compared carefully the noise reduction or improvement in sound quality resulting from plugging your phono preamplifier into a PS Audio P5 or P10 versus a balanced power/isolation transformer such as an Equi-Tech or a Torus or a Furman?

Dear Ron,

I had experiences with Torus and many other top most expensive power conditioners. I ended up using only a power distributor and an expensive power cord for my phono and actually the rest of my system.

Kind regards,
Tang

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Tang,

That is very interesting. How did the Torus reduce or impair the sound quality you were getting from your phono stage?

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I know Christian uses P-10s. Christian, did you ever have an occasion to compare the P10 to an isolation transformer?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I'm with Marc on this, balanced pushed my P10 out of the system.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ooh! Direct experience with both! Please tell us more, Paul!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Ron, I'll elaborate later on today, about to leave for a meeting, bear with me..

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Dear Tang,

That is very interesting. How did the Torus reduce or impair the sound quality you were getting from your phono stage?

The Torus I used was the one with 45amp, not wall type and came with many outlets, I dont recall the model.
Back then I had similar system to GTT audio namely double monos Audionet, Kronos, Audionet and Soulution electronics, big YG Sonja. I hooked everything to the Torus. The power was much more than adequate and therefore excellent dynamic. The sound is on the warm side. This thing guaranteed me super stability in power and gave me excellent protection in surge and drop in current.

The drawbacks were the lack of "Life." You wont realize it until you have something better that all the sudden make sound a lot more open, no veil, more transparent and better highs. So, not that it was not good but I found just better alternatives.

If I may second your thought of using a power conditioner, some of the most respected systems here in WBF dont even use the power con at all. I do believe that clean power is the very essence to ultimate sound but all power cons that I had in my system had their way of adding or substracting too much to my liking.

Kind regards,
Tang

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Tang, my bog standard £400 industrial balanced transformer easily beat my 10x pricier Burmester 948 conditioner.
Esp in the very areas you mentioned, dynamics.
My audiophile grade 8kVA balanced transformer Westwick 8K from www.one4power.co.uk trashed the cheaper one esp in bass heft and solidity.
Here I'm able to switch the transformer in and out at will.
And the supply out of the wall is cold and unengaging, and that's w the supply isolated from the house w minimal pollution nearby (I live in a fairly quiet location).

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
I too am running balanced power, using a custom wound low loss / low impedance 3kva traffo. Cost was a modest £400, so no need to go crazy spending gazillions.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Hi Ron,
I cannot comment on power regen vs. isolation trafo but I use a Monarchy Audio power regen on my phonostage and it took care of a lot of background noise problems (particularly ground loops) so I have a much blacker background...even without an expensive power cord. However, I have found that a good power cord brings additional benefit (I am plugging the Kassandra DAC into the regenerator through a NBS Omega Extreme I power cord). I run all my source from a rengenerator and the amps straight from the wall.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I too am running balanced power, using a custom wound low loss / low impedance 3kva traffo. Cost was a modest £400, so no need to go crazy spending gazillions.

Can you provide a link to those?

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Ron,

If you want to consider regeneration, look into the IsoTek line. My fave product in their line is the Mosaic Genesis, a hybrid conditioner (2 outlets) and regeneration (3 outlets).

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, Alex. Right now I am interested in just hearing from people who have compared these two solutions.

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Ron,

If you want to consider regeneration, look into the IsoTek line. My fave product in their line is the Mosaic Genesis, a hybrid conditioner (2 outlets) and regeneration (3 outlets).

I have a Torus AVR16 which is a big baby that holds everything in my system. Very satisfied and I don’t consider anything else. If I had the money when it was time to buy, I should have tried the Accuphase PS1230.
2 friends of mine have Accuphase regen for simpler system than mine and they are very happy with them. It’s been a huge change for the best.
They are built like tanks. I think much better construction PS Audio it seems but not cheap.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah

Dear Ron,

This is too broad a subject and too many variables here, for one even the Equitech and Furman products affect the sound differently. Then there's the question of transformer size and where used in the system which also impacts the quality of the sound and not always for better! I don't like regenerators, tried several in the past and really disliked the results. I find quality of the Ground by far the most critical to get right first, after that an isolation transformer of the right type in the right location will further clean up the mains but will harden the sound if done without care.

david

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ron, you heard my system with the balanced transformer at the heart of it, and loved it. We could have done an a/b and switched it in and out.
Suffice to say, the transformer plays a crucial part in the ease and heft of what you enjoyed.
I've found all the conditioners, filters and regenerators I trialled were good in some respects but failed on dynamics.
But even my dirt cheap balanced transformer triumphed here, and my audiophile one has no apparent weaknesses.
Unlike Dave's experience, it's stellar in the bass, and this is where it trumps the cheaper transformer.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

People using balance power should remember that balanced power bypasses normal differential protection - you should add specific type of breakers in each phase power line. A balanced power system is more than just the transformer.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ron, you heard my system with the balanced transformer at the heart of it, and loved it. We could have done an a/b and switched it in and out.
Suffice to say, the transformer plays a crucial part in the ease and heft of what you enjoyed.
I've found all the conditioners, filters and regenerators I trialled were good in some respects but failed on dynamics.
But even my dirt cheap balanced transformer triumphed here, and my audiophile one has no apparent weaknesses.
Unlike Dave's experience, it's stellar in the bass, and this is where it trumps the cheaper transformer.

IMHO we can not be sure than the improvement was due just to the balancing act. If you read the technical claims of Westwick you will see that not all balancing transformers are created equal - your excellent transformer is optimized for interference reduction - perhaps this is the most important aspect in your system. Also since you claimed an improvement in performance when you put your transformer on a pneumatic isolation device we must admit that something we are not fully understanding is happening in your system - how can we generalize magic? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing