Confessions of an Audiophile Junky-I Got Center Stage With Pitch Perfect Sound

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
No discount for long-time WBF members? :D

It’s fun to read about your new venture and enthusiasm; thanks Steve.

Thank you rbbert

As I said I was happily retired. This is so unique that Ron will have the hyperbole police after me. I’ve known Marty and Russ for decades and in audio matters their ears are amongst the best I know. For me as a CMS user it was critical that beta testers have good resolving systems, are not CMS users and who have good ears and would tell me if this was a case of the Emperor’s New Clothes. IOW I had to be sure that this was the real deal. Thanks to marty and Russ feedback to Joe, he learned a few things , did some thinking and made a change that is even better still.

I think for products such as this it’s word of mouth and personal use that tend to make a product known. With Center Stage it’s personal use. Plus they are easy to install.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Hey Marty, how many women will I have to divorce if I invest in €6k per Stacore passive isoln AND these footers? LOL

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hey Marty, how many women will I have to divorce if I invest in €6k per Stacore passive isoln AND these footers? LOL

First of all, if you are in a position of being married to more than one woman at a time, you have managed to figure something out that even Hugh Hefner did not.

Second, and more importantly, I would be very cautious about additivity. I've seen published data by TMC that they can get 2 log units of vibration isolation with their piezo devices and 3 log units when they add their pneumatic bases under piezo devices, but I've seen no data or have any experience as to the possible effects of adding these to any other isolation devices such as the excellent Stacore. I'll be most curious to learn those results from somebody more adventurous than me.

Last edited:

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
Steve,

Are you going to use these under your speakers? Are you going to produce some version with thread hole so that one can replace the original equipment footers directly?

Steve Williams

These all have an adapter hole because as I said we were going to provide adapters for components. Further testing showed no sonic difference with or without adapters so this makes the entire insertion process a matter of minutes

These are not meant for under speakers but one never knows what goes on the very clever mind of Joe :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
This is an interesting product, Steve.
Many years ago I was a beta tester for the Harmonix footers from Japan. I was at first skeptical that such a small and seemingly innocuous device could really add anything to the SQ. Boy was I wrong! Under digital products and under amps and preamps, these little footers were such a revelation that I refused to let them go and have owned several pair ever since. ( the increase in SQ was obvious from the first minute...no break-in required!)
The technology behind Harmonix seems to be as opaque as behind the Center Stages, but one listen is usually all it takes.
Might be interesting to 'AB' Harmonix vs Center Stage.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

First of all, if you are in a position of being married to more than one woman at a time, you have managed to figure something out that even Hugh Hefner did not.

Second, and more importantly, I would be very cautious about additivity. I've seen published data by TMC that they can get 2 log units of vibration isolation with their piezo devices and 3 log units when they add their pneumatic bases under piezo devices, but I've seen no data or have any experience as to the possible effects of adding these to any other isolation devices such as the excellent Stacore. I'll be most curious to learn those results from somebody more adventurous than me.

It's a simple A-B-A test to find outing simple to put in and take out. But you have to commit 2 weeks of torture before the clouds part

I find that interesting as Joe's CMS shelves can take weeks before they have settled so for me I knew there was a light shining at the end of that tunnel when I got there

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Marty, I thought there were some States in the US where it was possible to have more than wife?
Maybe this is where the audiophiles mix their pricey isolation methods?

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
How will they preform under my dac which sits on a Herzan TS140? I have a clock on top on dac...would I need them under that also?

What is the return policy?

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Good luck with you new gig Doc.

I'd love to try them, but if it takes "2 weeks of torture before the clouds part" and returns must be sent within 14 days, plus there's a 35% restocking fee, I think I'll proceed with the plan to get all active components out of my listening room into an acoustically sealed closet.

Steve Williams

I'd love to try them, but if it takes "2 weeks of torture before the clouds part" and returns must be sent within 14 days, plus there's a 35% restocking fee, I think I'll proceed with the plan to get all active components out of my listening room into an acoustically sealed closet.

thanks Dan

whatever floats your boat but this costs a whole lot less than active and knowing you, I would bet that you would be the first one to return them as no one to date has. :) BTW the effect of these on active components could very well be surprising

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Best of luck with the new venture Steve... would love to know why they have such a unusually big settling in shift in their nature over that first week. Sounds promising if they are imparting some of the qualities from the CMS racks as well.

Is their greatest strength in terms of sound stage and do you find they shift of bring other things out in the presentation eg viscerality, flow etc
In my comments, when I am referring to believability, what I really mean is that the entire presentation sound is much more real and cohesive, leading me to be quite sure that it is helping virtually everything. It is just that the sound stage is the most tangible.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside

No torture for 14 days. The production version actually sound pretty good out of the box, or at least after an hour or so, to the point that you can listen. Each day it gets better and then really starts to open up on day 5 and blossoms on day 6. What I called V1 was a much more difficult break-in.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Congratulations and good luck on your new venture Steve! I wish you all the best!

Steve Williams

In my comments, when I am referring to believability, what I really mean is that the entire presentation sound is much more real and cohesive, leading me to be quite sure that it is helping virtually everything. It is just that the sound stage is the most tangible.

Hi Sound Of Tao

To be specific, there is no change in the sound stage which is quite intact but rather where you are in that soundstage. I've said before that my analogy is that prior to using CMS racks I had what I thought was very good sound but towards the rear of the orchestra. When I went CMS racks I was then catapulted to the first 3 rows in the center BUT adding the Center Stage you are suddenly a part of the sound event as you will truly feel 'Center Stage'

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hello Steve,

Being designed by Joe Lavrencik of Critical Mass Systems, I have 100% confidence in the CenterStage footers!

CMS racks are well-known in Hong Kong and there are many happy CMS users.

I would like to know : can CenterStage be used together with CMS racks?
May Joe and you share with us your experience in comparing the performance of CMS racks with CenterStage, and tips in using them together on components and using them separately on diff components of an audio system?

Many thanks again!

CK

Steve Williams

Hi CK

I certainly agree with your comment about Joe. To me he has an amazing mind that is always going

I've said earlier in this thread that Joe never tested his Center Stage on his shelf but rather wood, glass, metal etc so that he could voice it for all users. He heard these feet for the first time on CMS racks in June. I feel there is a shorter break in time with CMS racks.

The end result is typically the same only takes longer to get there for some. My initial break in was 5-6 days. As to cause and effect I can only speculate but the Center Stage on CMS is a match made in heaven

HTH

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Please explain why these footers need to be broken in ? I’m a logical person and cannot understand why any inanimate object like a footer needs to break in ? How are these constructed (is it a proprietary secret) ? Other footers like stillpoints explain how they are made and what the damping/isolation scheme is. How about these ? An answer like secret sauce does not fly with me.:confused:

Steve Williams

Please explain why these footers need to be broken in ? I’m a logical person and cannot understand why any inanimate object like a footer needs to break in ? How are these constructed (is it a proprietary secret) ? Other footers like stillpoints explain how they are made and what the damping/isolation scheme is. How about these ? An answer like secret sauce does not fly with me.:confused:

It isn't secret sauce Christian. Read Joe's white paper. Joe won't divulge anything because his patent is pending but he does give ideas in his White paper with metals used as long as you understand the First and Second Laws of Thermodynamics as that is what they are based upon :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hello Steve,

Being designed by Joe Lavrencik of Critical Mass Systems, I have 100% confidence in the CenterStage footers!

CMS racks are well-known in Hong Kong and there are many happy CMS users.

I would like to know : can CenterStage be used together with CMS racks?
May Joe and you share with us your experience in comparing the performance of CMS racks with CenterStage, and tips in using them together on components and using them separately on diff components of an audio system?

Many thanks again!

CK

I'm in the queue for a full set. If the stars align they should be here with my full new sets of Maxxums, full loom of MB Ultras and the Ultra 11s towers. That means they can all settle in together. The SYNERGISTIC effect of CSFs used on CMS racks is reportedly almost akin to an upgrade from one model to the next. Essentially, they replace the interface discs on current CMS products and the dual material footers on legacy models. A Sapphire behaves like a Platinum, A Platinum like a Black Diamond, a BD like a Maxxum and a Maxxum like an Olympus. Not being able to afford 12 levels of Olympus given the annihilation of my audio savings account, I opted for the CSFs.

From a business standpoint, this will not cannibalize sales of filters and racks but will allow my existing clients to up their SQ without having to unload their filters and replace them (PXK and QXK owners). These just make sense. They also allow non CMS owners to get a taste of CMS and may actually, in time, entice non CMS users to make the investment in a full rack and filter system.

My only worry was that I could never take these to show because of the settling time required. Seeing as Mike (Thank you for your show report my friend, gotta say, your photography skills are impressive) has independently reported that it is indeed doable with the production models with settling times of "only" a day or two on CMS racks, the last of my worries are gone.

I've signed on as Pitch Perfects fulfillment station for the Philippines. Congrats Steve!

I'm looking forward to the speaker footers in the future as the CMS RiZE speaker footers are already great and do much of what the CSFs do.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing