"Grounding" your Home Fusebox / Breaker-box

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
What !!? My home fusebox/breakerbox is of course already grounded for electrical safety.
Yes, I think so but what I am talking about here is to apply audiophile grounding gadgets on them to improve sonic performance!
Many audiophiles in Hong Kong have such implementations.

I did the experiement last year to test water, employing a very low-priced China-made groundbox.
I guess it is a copycat of Entreq and the coming VERASTARR (http://www.monoandstereo.com/2017/10/new-verastarr-ground-box.html).

P_20171008_080344_1.jpg
P_20171008_080126_1.jpg

I connect it with the chassis of the breakerbox which is dedicated to the powerlines for my audio system.
This results in lowering of the sonic noise floor. The effect is small but audible. I think it's worthwhile as the China-made groundbox is only <USD60.

P_20171007_163836_1.jpg

Next I try applying the Sound Galleries Setchi D2 groundbox on it.
Please see this thread for more experience of mine on the Setchi : http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...er-groundbox-but-this-Setchi-is-quite-special
The Setchi is <USD400.
I find the combined effect is better than using either one of them. The Setchi provides some musicality and analogueness to the sound. Again the effect is not large but audible.

P_20171007_163743.jpg

If you have such grounding gadgets at home for your other hifi components, please consider experimenting them elsewhere. There may or may not be effect but I am sure it's fun!

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Of course your residential breaker/fuse box (main panel board) is grounded for safety. Safety is the reason AC power is grounded. But the connection to Planet Earth has nothing to do with day-to-day AC power quality.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
A buddy of mine put his AddPower Wizard at his audio subpanel and found a great return. The panel at your house is where it all starts. Yet most people ignore it.

Reactions: CKKeung

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Kingrex,

Does he have it connected direct to Subpanel or into a wall outlet?

Is the sonic effect instant upon plugging in so that you can hear results right away?

I already use a PI Audio UberBuss which filters EMI and applies power factor correction. The EMI measured from a UBuss outlet lowers my wall measurements, which usually run about 200 mV but can spike to 600mV, to a consistent 20 mV. (I admit I don't know how meaningful these measurements from this limited meter are in regard to actual sound quality).

I'm curious what the AddPower algorithm field mitigation on EMI would bring in addition, if anything.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
The Wizard is one of their premium models. It actually takes a couple minutes to click in and its a gradual shift. I have the entry model Symphony. As soon as you plug it in you experience the affect. Ultrafast brought the Symphony and Electraclear to my house and I did not let them leave with him. Mine are installed as point of use at my rack. The Wizard is more powerful and it is recommended to have it at the main distribution panel or audio subpanel. That is where Ultrafast found it works best. At his audio subpanel. There is a short 1 foot or so cable to an outlet box installed below his panel to power the device. I am thinking of taking my symphony and moving it to my panel and wrapping the antenna inside my panel.

At Ultrafast house and mine, we found 2 branch circuits to our equipment racks lowers noise a lot. That means as point of use at my house, the symphony is not doing much for my amps as they are now on a separate branch circuit. I need to put another box below my panels to accept a plug for the symphony so I can move it there. I have a double duplex down there already but it feed 3linear PS to my modem, router and switch. The last outlet has a second electraclear in it.

The affect of the AddPower devices is not subtle. Ultrafast also has all the Nordost QKore, QRT and grouding devices which are very similar as the designer of the AddPower devices was the original designer of the Nordost pieces. The devices appear to be cumulative in affect. They have a pretty significant sonic affect. Much more dynamic, yet clean and and lacking any glare or grain. Its just better.

Ultrafast has written pretty extensively about them on Audioshark.

I am also interested in the Verstar and SETCHI grounding blocks. I will try them at some time. I would try putting the cable to the ground bus in the panel on my ground bar. In your pictures, I don't thing you are getting a good ground connection on the cable that is connected to the painted breaker cover. Unless that screw actually goes into the framing behind the cover to keep the cover shut. If so you have a decent ground. But going direct to the ground buss is always superior.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing