Yet another groundbox, but this Setchi is quite special

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
+1.

I have a pretty good pressing of 'The Wall', and also the last 2 reels (the second disc) of 15ips, 1/4" low gen master dub and i'd call it 'outstanding' for late 70's prog rock...

You certainly have good access to rare tapes Mike :D.

Tang

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I like the Setchi standing upright/on their side more.

And please try them on your fusebox/breaker-box too. (http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?24083-quot-Grounding-quot-your-Home-Fusebox-Breaker-box)
It's fun!

I'm not familiar with the Setchi boxes but I have some passive blocks from a small UK outfit and have a similar sized passive block on my mains cable immediately next to the fuse box plus four smaller lower down and they are certainly effective sited there.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
+1.

Master Tang,

I think it is helpful to have fools like you and I, and also scientists such as Marty for a bit of tempering. Marty can circle like an Eagle above, looking for morsels to eat, but being selective.

you and I sit there just experiencing without our brains getting in the way and who knows what we might stumble upon. then if we don't die from our meal, Marty might swoop down and give it the smell test before nibbling.

best regards,

Mike

Good one Mike! Made me smile. Make no mistake. The Eagle likes to eat! But he's just as happy swooping down on morsels from Burger King as opposed to The French Laundry at 25x the price, if it provides the same degree of satiety. But does it? That's the question I want to explore!

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I got 2 A2's for my amps and 2 D2's for my digital

For the first 2 hours, things sounded pretty disappointing..kinda of veiled/muffled. Really strange. Then things changed rapidly. Different sonic areas started going good/fair/good, almost like a sine wave across the musical spectrum. After 4 hours or so things got pretty level. And improved. Most noticeable is clarity and foundation. Today its even better. Listening to The Wall right now...not the greatest album for sonics but its so much clearer today....especially turned up.....the harshness at loud volume is gone! Pretty impressive.....

Thank you for your feedback. Can you provide us with some detail on how you have connected them? Did you try one on your herzan TS-140?

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
I have been on the road on the US East Coast and have had the opportunity to try various Setchi’s in three very different systems

My takeaways are this

- in systems which have bright room acoustics, the “1” s with their copper sonic signature work very nicely

- in systems which are well tamed and analog, the “2” s can bring a nice sparkle and energy

- lying flat, the sonic presentation has more precision

- standing vertical there is an increase in harmonic richness with its attendant benefits for some types of listeners, me included

- the sonic effect of the Setchi is quite sensitive where it is placed on the case. The Setchi’s want to be in a location where they can pick up a good amount of vibration. So far testing indicates stronger effect when placed towards the top cover center, and less effect when placed on a edge.

Last edited:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I have been on the road on the US East Coast and have had the opportunity to try various Setchi’s in three very different systems

My takeaways are this

- in systems which have bright room acoustics, the “1” s with their copper sonic signature work very nicely

- in systems which are well tamed and analog, the “2” s can bring a nice sparkle and energy

- lying flat, the sonic presentation has more precision

- standing vertical there is an increase in harmonic richness with its attendant benefits for some types of listeners, me included

- the sonic effect of the Setchi is quite sensitive where it is placed on the case. The Setchi’s want to be in a location where they can pick up a good amount of vibration. So far testing indicates stronger effect when placed towards the top cover center, and less effect when placed on a edge.

In that case u need to supply with longer leads...I can't see how u can get anywhere near the top cover center with the approx 6" leads provided. Maybe my D2's were sent with the wrong lengths?
I can barely get to the top edge of the Vivaldi pieces....

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
In that case u need to supply with longer leads...I can't see how u can get anywhere near the top cover center with the approx 6" leads provided. Maybe my D2's were sent with the wrong lengths?
I can barely get to the top edge of the Vivaldi pieces....

The default length is 10”. Longer lengths are available on request. This is the best performing length however, especially for digital versions. I would pick placement nearer to the side over longer wire lengths. For analogue versions the wirelength is less critical.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Hello, 1st post here...

Do you feel a D1 or D2 box would improve streaming if positioned on a router (or an ethernet Dac) ? I’d like to try one, but don’t really know where it would be the most effective...and if I choose with an usb or Lan output, I won’t be able to try it on my analog preamp...

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Hello, 1st post here...

Do you feel a D1 or D2 box would improve streaming if positioned on a router (or an ethernet Dac) ? I’d like to try one, but don’t really know where it would be the most effective...and if I choose with an usb or Lan output, I won’t be able to try it on my analog preamp...

Hello Yucca,

Welcome on WBF. Yes they work on a router, however the effect is not as large as on say a streamer or dac. This is caused by ethernet being “galvanically isolated”. There’s still a ground connection through the ethernet transformer centertap through a resistor/capacitor network but this wont be nearly as effective as connecting to an usb or other digital ground.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
Thanks for the fast reply !
Ok, so I believe I should better try it with usb on my Dac or my Mac Mini. I only have to choose between D1 or D2 model ;)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Yes that would be a better choice! The D2 will do a better job at enhancing microdetail, texture, clarity, air, soundstage depth and width. The D1 is a better pick if your system is on the bright side right now, it does a good job at reducing digital glare, increase midrange body and increase bass heft. If your system is neutrally voiced the D2 will be more impressive.

EuroDriver

Sep 16, 2015
Monaco
Lampi GG with D-2 and A-2

We have a report just in from a Lampi GG owner using the Emission labs special 45's (mesh)

I listened to my system with the Setchi blocks after receiving them from Emile and they really do some amazing things. The bottom line is that they put the musicians in the room with you.

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
...I’ve just ordered the D2 usb.
Will try it on my PSaudio DSj Dac and my Mac Mini server (and maybe also on my Waversa hub, even if I doubt it can improve something with it ?)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Would stack multiple Setchi on 1 component have cummulative effect?

Only if your component has separated ground planes. Most dacs do have separated ground planes for digital and analogue so you could connect one to a digital connector and one to an analogue, this is almost always worthwhile. Sometimes components have separated analogue grounds for the left and right channels in which case you can connect one to the left and another to the right channel.

Will try it on my PSaudio DSj Dac and my Mac Mini server (and maybe also on my Waversa hub, even if I doubt it can improve something with it ?)

France? It should be with you this Wednesday, looking forward to your experiences. It does work on an hub / switch, however the effect is more subtle in that position. It will mainly remove some sibilance/edge/strain so reduce "digititis" there. It will not do much to enhance your soundstage stage nor greatly improve clarity/transparency/detail/texture as it would do connected to a component directly in your system.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can you tell us what is the price of the Waversa hub? Do you know if they have distributors in Europe?

Yucca

Nov 19, 2017
France
It’s quite expensive, but it’s worth every cent for me (and can replace 3 separate boxes : filter, clock, LPSU)...public price is 1490€ (VAT included). You can find it from a French retailer, Magic Mastering. My system is noticeably better with it, my friends were also really impressed...
I use it only for ethernet, but it’s also a very good usb filter/reclocker.
The price was *»only*» at $900 from the American distributor a few weeks also, but it has also risen considerably, don’t know why. Maybe it was an introductory price before, as it was totally unknown in Europe/USA...

@taiko audio : I’ll tell here what I feel about your product. Hope it will be a good surprise :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have scanned this thread twice and I am not finding any description of how the Setchi grounding box works. Please forgive me if I missed it somehow.

Of what is it composed? (What is in the box?)

What is the theory behind its operation? (How does it work?)

I saw a statement that the DC battery provides a bias, but what component is being biased?

Does its efficacy depend on the electrical grounding infrastructure currently in place, or that infrastructure's measured resistance to earth ground?

Thank you.

PS: I wish Taiko were not so far outside of Holland. I would like to visit you!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I have scanned this thread twice and I am not finding any description of how the Setchi grounding box works. Please forgive me if I missed it somehow.

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your interest, you can find a general description on our website. A direct link: http://taikoaudio.com/products/taiko-audio-setchi/

Of what is it composed? (What is in the box?)

There is a PCB inside with an electronic circuit.

What is the theory behind its operation? (How does it work?)

It has 3 modes of action. Primarily it is a vibration energy converter. Secondary it provides a path for RFI waves to dissipate and it has an effect on static charge build up.

I saw a statement that the DC battery provides a bias, but what component is being biased?

It's power source for the primary effect is vibrations. Vibrations cause it to generate an AC voltage. We need this AC voltage to be above ground potential and we use a battery for that purpose.

Does its efficacy depend on the electrical grounding infrastructure currently in place, or that infrastructure's measured resistance to earth ground?

The simple short answer would be no, however we've discovered there is a bigger picture here in the form of EM fields which react to any changes in your grounding infrastructure, these EM fields are already impacted by simply moving a power cord or ground lead. Then we have RFI which basically travels your entire grounding system. It does all interact.

PS: I wish Taiko were not so far outside of Holland. I would like to visit you!

We are currently building a new 120 m2 / 1300 sq ft demo room and are exploring the purchase of an advanced 3D EM field mapping system. Maybe it will be interesting enough to make the trip somewhere in the future :)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Thank you for your interest, you can find a general description on our website. A direct link: http://taikoaudio.com/products/taiko-audio-setchi/

There is a PCB inside with an electronic circuit.

It has 3 modes of action. Primarily it is a vibration energy converter. Secondary it provides a path for RFI waves to dissipate and it has an effect on static charge build up.

It's power source for the primary effect is vibrations. Vibrations cause it to generate an AC voltage. We need this AC voltage to be above ground potential and we use a battery for that purpose.

The simple short answer would be no, however we've discovered there is a bigger picture here in the form of EM fields which react to any changes in your grounding infrastructure, these EM fields are already impacted by simply moving a power cord or ground lead. Then we have RFI which basically travels your entire grounding system. It does all interact.

We are currently building a new 120 m2 / 1300 sq ft demo room and are exploring the purchase of an advanced 3D EM field mapping system. Maybe it will be interesting enough to make the trip somewhere in the future :)

Dank je wel voor jou goed antwoord! Misschien ik kom naar zien jouw winkel een dag!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing