Yet another groundbox, but this Setchi is quite special

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I noticed that small groundboxes called Setchi were employed in the Sound Galleries room during the Munich Show 2017.
16a.jpg

They look cute so I borrowed a Setchi D-2 from the dealer in Hong Kong for home trial. I tested it in my own audio system and in 4 friends' systems.
P_20170620_211625_1_1_1.jpg

I installed one Setchi to the front usb socket of my MSB UMT Plus universal player.
P_20171007_163941_1.jpg

This photo shows the Setchi on my friend's CH Precision C1 dac.
P_20170529_232844_1_1.jpg

Summary of the effects of Setchi D-2 :
1) Despite small-sized, its positive effects are clearly audible : treble extension, airiness, 3D imaging, microdynamics, vividness.

2) The Setchi D-2 was tested in 5 systems and there were improvement in all of them : very wide applicability.

3) Different kinds of grounding treatment have already been installed in some of these 5 systems (Tripoint Troy Signature, Telos electrical groundbox, Synergistic Research GroundBlocks ...etc) yet Setchi D2-usb can still produce additional improvements. Is it possible that diff groundboxes are handling diff noises?

4) Last but not least, a big advantage of Setchi is that its price is very very reasonable : <USD400.

IMHO HiFi components or gadgets which are best-buys/steals/bargains are uncommon nowadays, but Setchi is definitely one of them!

Last edited:

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Interesting CK , thanks for sharing

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
I noticed that small groundboxes called Setchi were employed in the Sound Galleries room during the Munich Show 2017.
View attachment 35707

They look cute so I borrowed a Setchi D-2 from the dealer in Hong Kong for home trial. I tested it in my own audio system and in 4 friends' systems.
View attachment 35706

I installed one Setchi to the front usb socket of my MSB UMT Plus universal player.
View attachment 35705

This photo shows the Setchi on my friend's CH Precision C1 dac.
View attachment 35708

1) Despite small-sized, its positive effects are clearly audible : treble extension, airiness, 3D imaging, microdynamics, vividness.

2) The Setchi D-2 was tested in 5 systems and there were improvement in all of them : very wide applicability.

3) Different kinds of grounding treatment have already been installed in these 5 systems (Tripoint Troy Signature, Telos electrical groundbox, Synergistic Research GroundBlocks ...etc) yet Setchi D2-usb can still produce additional improvements. Is it possible that diff groundboxes are handling diff noises?

4) Last but not least, a big advantage of Setchi is that its price is very very reasonable : <USD400.

IMHO HiFi components or gadgets which are best-buys/steals/bargains are uncommon nowadays, but Setchi is definitely one of them!

Thanks for this. Edward talked about it a while back but I thought that with all my Tripoint components I had my definitive grounding solution.

Were the additional benefits substantial in your view or are we talking about a relative small step forward?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks for this. Edward talked about it a while back but I thought that with all my Tripoint components I had my definitive grounding solution.
Were the additional benefits substantial in your view or are we talking about a relative small step forward?

I tested it in 5 systems.

The improvement is quite substantial in a system which does not have any power-conditioner nor grounding gadget. That friend bought a Setchi at once.

Whereas in a system which has a Troy Signature groundbox (the photo of the CH Precision C1 dac), the improvement is quite small, but still audible, so that friend bought a Setchi too.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012

The improvement is quite substantial in a system which does not have any power-conditioner nor grounding gadget. That friend bought a Setchi at once.

Whereas in a system which has a Troy Signature groundbox (the photo of the CH Precision C1 dac), the improvement is quite small, but still audible, so that friend bought a Setchi too.

Thanks.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
There are several Setchi models :
A for analogue ; D for digital.
A1 & D1 are entry models.
A2 & D2 are a bit more expensive because of better internal components.

I tested only the A2 and D2.
My personal preference is the D2, because A2 gives a rather dark sound.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

They were referred in Audiostream some months ago. https://www.audiostream.com/content/sound-galleries-experience. As soon as my system settles I will probably try them, the price seems to be very reasonable in Europe - Taiko Audio is a Dutch high-end company. BTW, as far as I see Setchi's are active devices, including a 9V battery.

Last edited:

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com

3) Different kinds of grounding treatment have already been installed in some of these 5 systems (Tripoint Troy Signature, Telos electrical groundbox, Synergistic Research GroundBlocks ...etc) yet Setchi D2-usb can still produce additional improvements. Is it possible that diff groundboxes are handling diff noises?

IMHO HiFi components or gadgets which are best-buys/steals/bargains are uncommon nowadays, but Setchi is definitely one of them![/SIZE]

Hi CKKeung,

Thank you for your observations. We have been very busy the past few months and therefore we have been lacking in supplying information on the Setchi's operation and usage. It differs somewhat from other "ground connected tweaks". It does provide a path for high frequency waves to travel and dissipate similar to other grounding tweaks yet this is not its main mode of operation. It is in fact more of a vibration cancellation device. It works best when it is subjected to the same vibrational pattern as the component it is connected to. The preferred location is on top of the component, 2nd best is placement on the same shelf. You can tune the amount of coupling by placing it straight up or on its side. Also the location on top of the component or shelf makes a difference. Typically vibrations are stronger at the centre of a surface then on it's edges. The more you excite the Setchi, the stronger its effect will be. So yes it has been designed to handle a different type of induced noise then most other ground tweaks as far as I'm aware.

As for the model line-up, D stands for Digital, A for Analogue, 1 for Copper, 2 for Silver/Gold. Digital is more tuned towards connecting to digital grounds where Analogue is tuned towards, as you would expect, Analogue grounds. Generally the digital versions have a stronger positive, higher bandwidth effect then analogue versions. As a rule of thumb you would use an Analogue version if the effect of the digital version is too strong. Copper produces a warmer/fuller bodied sound signature where silver/gold produces a more open, higher resolution picture with more air. Generally people think of the 2 version as a higher grade version, it is also more expensive to build. But one could also prefer the 1 version if the signature better matches the voicing of the system.

We use a battery as a practical and cost effective solution to bias it to operate in the positive DC domain. Absorbed vibrations are actually internally converted to an AC voltage. As it's only used to apply a bias a battery will last for years.

As a demonstration of its effect differing from other well known grounding tweaks we have customers using the Setchi to enhance the effect of Entreq grounding enhancers by placing it on top of the Entreq and connecting its grounding lugs together.

Hope this helps!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Where can these be purchased in USA?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) We use a battery as a practical and cost effective solution to bias it to operate in the positive DC domain. Absorbed vibrations are actually internally converted to an AC voltage. As it's only used to apply a bias a battery will last for years.

As a demonstration of its effect differing from other well known grounding tweaks we have customers using the Setchi to enhance the effect of Entreq grounding enhancers by placing it on top of the Entreq and connecting its grounding lugs together.

Hope this helps!

Nice to know that the battery is only used to polarize the Setchi materials. Does the Setchi have a burn-in time, or are the sound effects immediate?

hifial

Apr 7, 2013
Where can these be purchased in USA?

I represent Taiko Audio here in the USA. I have several demo units of various types (A and D / 1 and 2) with various connections available for home demo. Contact me by the below email.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hmm, I'd buy one to try it...

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Nice to know that the battery is only used to polarize the Setchi materials. Does the Setchi have a burn-in time, or are the sound effects immediate?

Usually there is an immediate smaller effect which increases in strength to significant over a 48-72 hour period. If you believe in component burn-in there's also that.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
They can be purchased from http://taikoaudio.shop

Are they available for immediate delivery?

You referred that the sonic signature of copper is different from the sonic signature of Silver/Gold and can be preferred in some cases.

What would be your advice for a Vivaldi/Wilson system?

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok

If include the word energy in your descriptions of the effects, this would be similar to what I heard when I tested the Schnerzinger devices. Good deal for you.

Tang

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
What is the best way to connect this to a dac?

You can connect it to any unused socket. For example to a spdif in or output, or the analogue rca output if you use your dac’s balanced outputs, or to the XLR connector if you use it the other way around.

Are they available for immediate delivery?

You referred that the sonic signature of copper is different from the sonic signature of Silver/Gold and can be preferred in some cases.

What would be your advice for a Vivaldi/Wilson system?

Typically they ship within a week.

As every system can sound completely different even with the same components I would go for personal preference. If you had to exchange a system component right now, would you exchange it for one with a higher apparent resolution (silver/gold) or a fuller/darker sounding one (copper). As most people end up buying more then one there’s also the option to mix & match.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I ordered 4 Setchi's on Monday, 10/30 and they arrived today, 11/2......outstanding service.

Sonic report soon......

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing