Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 88

Thread: Yet another groundbox, but this Setchi is quite special

  1. #1

    Yet another groundbox, but this Setchi is quite special

    I noticed that small groundboxes called Setchi were employed in the Sound Galleries room during the Munich Show 2017.
    Name:  16a.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  35.2 KB

    They look cute so I borrowed a Setchi D-2 from the dealer in Hong Kong for home trial. I tested it in my own audio system and in 4 friends' systems.
    Name:  P_20170620_211625_1_1_1.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  471.1 KB

    I installed one Setchi to the front usb socket of my MSB UMT Plus universal player.
    Name:  P_20171007_163941_1.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  1.43 MB

    This photo shows the Setchi on my friend's CH Precision C1 dac.
    Name:  P_20170529_232844_1_1.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  1.00 MB

    Summary of the effects of Setchi D-2 :
    1) Despite small-sized, its positive effects are clearly audible : treble extension, airiness, 3D imaging, microdynamics, vividness.

    2) The Setchi D-2 was tested in 5 systems and there were improvement in all of them : very wide applicability.

    3) Different kinds of grounding treatment have already been installed in some of these 5 systems (Tripoint Troy Signature, Telos electrical groundbox, Synergistic Research GroundBlocks ...etc) yet Setchi D2-usb can still produce additional improvements. Is it possible that diff groundboxes are handling diff noises?

    4) Last but not least, a big advantage of Setchi is that its price is very very reasonable : <USD400.

    IMHO HiFi components or gadgets which are best-buys/steals/bargains are uncommon nowadays, but Setchi is definitely one of them!
    Last edited by CKKeung; 10-07-2017 at 09:52 AM.

  2. #2
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] Jazzhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    1,360
    Interesting CK , thanks for sharing
    "It is music coming from another world, it is coming from eternity." ... HVK

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKeung View Post
    I noticed that small groundboxes called Setchi were employed in the Sound Galleries room during the Munich Show 2017.
    Name:  16a.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  35.2 KB

    They look cute so I borrowed a Setchi D-2 from the dealer in Hong Kong for home trial. I tested it in my own audio system and in 4 friends' systems.
    Name:  P_20170620_211625_1_1_1.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  471.1 KB

    I installed one Setchi to the front usb socket of my MSB UMT Plus universal player.
    Name:  P_20171007_163941_1.jpg
Views: 891
Size:  1.43 MB

    This photo shows the Setchi on my friend's CH Precision C1 dac.
    Name:  P_20170529_232844_1_1.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  1.00 MB

    Summary of the effects of Setchi D-2 :
    1) Despite small-sized, its positive effects are clearly audible : treble extension, airiness, 3D imaging, microdynamics, vividness.

    2) The Setchi D-2 was tested in 5 systems and there were improvement in all of them : very wide applicability.

    3) Different kinds of grounding treatment have already been installed in these 5 systems (Tripoint Troy Signature, Telos electrical groundbox, Synergistic Research GroundBlocks ...etc) yet Setchi D2-usb can still produce additional improvements. Is it possible that diff groundboxes are handling diff noises?

    4) Last but not least, a big advantage of Setchi is that its price is very very reasonable : <USD400.

    IMHO HiFi components or gadgets which are best-buys/steals/bargains are uncommon nowadays, but Setchi is definitely one of them!
    Thanks for this. Edward talked about it a while back but I thought that with all my Tripoint components I had my definitive grounding solution.

    Were the additional benefits substantial in your view or are we talking about a relative small step forward?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiocrack View Post
    Thanks for this. Edward talked about it a while back but I thought that with all my Tripoint components I had my definitive grounding solution.
    Were the additional benefits substantial in your view or are we talking about a relative small step forward?
    I tested it in 5 systems.

    The improvement is quite substantial in a system which does not have any power-conditioner nor grounding gadget. That friend bought a Setchi at once.

    Whereas in a system which has a Troy Signature groundbox (the photo of the CH Precision C1 dac), the improvement is quite small, but still audible, so that friend bought a Setchi too.
    ARC 40 Anniv preamp, MC2 S1400 monoblocks, Magico S5 speaker, CAS with MSB Platinum IV Plus dac, MSB UMT Plus & Signature Transport Powerbase, Furman isolation transformer.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKeung View Post
    I tested it in 5 systems.

    The improvement is quite substantial in a system which does not have any power-conditioner nor grounding gadget. That friend bought a Setchi at once.

    Whereas in a system which has a Troy Signature groundbox (the photo of the CH Precision C1 dac), the improvement is quite small, but still audible, so that friend bought a Setchi too.
    Thanks.

  6. #6
    There are several Setchi models :
    A for analogue ; D for digital.
    A1 & D1 are entry models.
    A2 & D2 are a bit more expensive because of better internal components.

    I tested only the A2 and D2.
    My personal preference is the D2, because A2 gives a rather dark sound.
    ARC 40 Anniv preamp, MC2 S1400 monoblocks, Magico S5 speaker, CAS with MSB Platinum IV Plus dac, MSB UMT Plus & Signature Transport Powerbase, Furman isolation transformer.

  7. #7
    VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    12,285
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKeung View Post
    I tested it in 5 systems.

    The improvement is quite substantial in a system which does not have any power-conditioner nor grounding gadget. That friend bought a Setchi at once.

    Whereas in a system which has a Troy Signature groundbox (the photo of the CH Precision C1 dac), the improvement is quite small, but still audible, so that friend bought a Setchi too.
    They were referred in Audiostream some months ago. https://www.audiostream.com/content/...ies-experience. As soon as my system settles I will probably try them, the price seems to be very reasonable in Europe - Taiko Audio is a Dutch high-end company. BTW, as far as I see Setchi's are active devices, including a 9V battery.
    Last edited by microstrip; 10-07-2017 at 10:35 AM.
    Under construction around the DCS Vivaldi 2.0 stack and a pair of Wilson XLF's : Forsell Air Force One, ARC Phono 2SE, cj GAT + Lamm M1.2 ref, TA OPUS MM2 +TA XL digital, TA XL gen V power cables and CenterStage footers ...

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by CKKeung View Post
    Summary of the effects of Setchi D-2 :
    1) Despite small-sized, its positive effects are clearly audible : treble extension, airiness, 3D imaging, microdynamics, vividness.

    2) The Setchi D-2 was tested in 5 systems and there were improvement in all of them : very wide applicability.

    3) Different kinds of grounding treatment have already been installed in some of these 5 systems (Tripoint Troy Signature, Telos electrical groundbox, Synergistic Research GroundBlocks ...etc) yet Setchi D2-usb can still produce additional improvements. Is it possible that diff groundboxes are handling diff noises?

    4) Last but not least, a big advantage of Setchi is that its price is very very reasonable : <USD400.

    IMHO HiFi components or gadgets which are best-buys/steals/bargains are uncommon nowadays, but Setchi is definitely one of them![/SIZE]
    Hi CKKeung,

    Thank you for your observations. We have been very busy the past few months and therefore we have been lacking in supplying information on the Setchi's operation and usage. It differs somewhat from other "ground connected tweaks". It does provide a path for high frequency waves to travel and dissipate similar to other grounding tweaks yet this is not its main mode of operation. It is in fact more of a vibration cancellation device. It works best when it is subjected to the same vibrational pattern as the component it is connected to. The preferred location is on top of the component, 2nd best is placement on the same shelf. You can tune the amount of coupling by placing it straight up or on its side. Also the location on top of the component or shelf makes a difference. Typically vibrations are stronger at the centre of a surface then on it's edges. The more you excite the Setchi, the stronger its effect will be. So yes it has been designed to handle a different type of induced noise then most other ground tweaks as far as I'm aware.

    As for the model line-up, D stands for Digital, A for Analogue, 1 for Copper, 2 for Silver/Gold. Digital is more tuned towards connecting to digital grounds where Analogue is tuned towards, as you would expect, Analogue grounds. Generally the digital versions have a stronger positive, higher bandwidth effect then analogue versions. As a rule of thumb you would use an Analogue version if the effect of the digital version is too strong. Copper produces a warmer/fuller bodied sound signature where silver/gold produces a more open, higher resolution picture with more air. Generally people think of the 2 version as a higher grade version, it is also more expensive to build. But one could also prefer the 1 version if the signature better matches the voicing of the system.

    We use a battery as a practical and cost effective solution to bias it to operate in the positive DC domain. Absorbed vibrations are actually internally converted to an AC voltage. As it's only used to apply a bias a battery will last for years.

    As a demonstration of its effect differing from other well known grounding tweaks we have customers using the Setchi to enhance the effect of Entreq grounding enhancers by placing it on top of the Entreq and connecting its grounding lugs together.

    Hope this helps!

  9. #9
    Where can these be purchased in USA?

  10. #10
    Addicted to Best!
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Monaco
    Posts
    253
    A web shop will be up very shortly
    Sound Test, Monaco
    Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland
    e-mail eurodriversoundtest@gmail.com

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. A Very Special Announcement
    By Steve Williams in forum Forum Announcements and Suggestion Box
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 08-13-2016, 06:26 AM
  2. Special Announcement: WBF Donations
    By amirm in forum Forum Announcements and Suggestion Box
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 03:38 PM
  3. Special Message for the 4th
    By MylesBAstor in forum Turntable Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 12:02 PM
  4. You Are Not Special
    By jazdoc in forum Off Topic Forum-Anything Goes
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
  5. I will be in NYC this from Oct 21 - 24, any special event...
    By flez007 in forum All Other Content
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-17-2010, 06:35 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •