Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com
Very nice setup at RMAF.

IMG_1489.jpg

Gryphon @ RMAF 2017

DSC_4164.JPG

It really was a unique experience for us to attend a show and straight off the bat to start collecting awards. As soon as we opened the doors on Friday morning, Steve Rochlin from Enjoy The Music showed up and presented us with a Product of the Year Award 2017 for the Diablo 300 & DAC,

During the day, a couple of the RMAF organizers showed up and reminded me that I need to attend the International Press Awards ceremony on Friday evening.

I am v grateful to Jason Serinus from Stereophile, who posed the question on Saturday as to whether the Diablo amplifier was connected to the Isotek line conditioner, when I confirmed that it was, he instructed me to immediately connect the amplifier directly to an AC inlet. Wow, what a difference, in comparison the Isotek connected amp sounded congested & turgid. The amp suddenly had terrific dynamics and sounded lively with unlimited power. My apologies to anyone who came by the room on Friday or Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon the system was really rocking. We measured Michael Fremer's vinyl rip of Led Zepp's Whole Lotta Love, the Bob Ludwig Hot LP is stunning ! (Just bought my own copy on eBay this afternoon.) - people were measuring 112dB on the phones, everyone left the room with a HUGE grin on the faces. Great fun was had by all.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Good to hear, I was there Friday and it sounded as you describe, that's awesome you got it sounding lively and dynamic. There was also a big mismatch in tweeter height to ear level when sitting in those chairs, I was wondering if that was an issue as tall ribbons beam in the vertical plane... I'd consider raising and/or slightly tilting the speaker back or bring some nice low-slung couches, which would be much nicer than those hotel chairs anyways! ;)

Congrats on the awards!

The room photographs well with the nice background, but I'd consider some lighting for the speakers and equipment rack too. I think the best photos come from taking the pics without a flash... not that many put effort into making sure the room photographs well w/o flash.

Just for example, the Voxativ room with light on the speaker drivers...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, Philip! That is a great start!

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Hmm-- so scratch one for Isotek with Gryphon-- thats Interesting

Yes shows are such mixed bag to snap--mood lighting or blazing windows --with modern Digital the capture balance is better than film was but

in camera processing of mainly shot Jpgs will nearly always give overly etched or black holes unless one takes time to set the InCamera settings--just a case of trial and error.

Without some form of Post manipulation the extremes can be too much.

BruceD

16-_DSC09727.jpg 32-_DSC09799.jpg

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Hmm-- so scratch one for Isotek with Gryphon-- thats Interesting

Yes shows are such mixed bag to snap--mood lighting or blazing windows --with modern Digital the capture balance is better than film was but

in camera processing of mainly shot Jpgs will nearly always give overly etched or black holes unless one takes time to set the InCamera settings--just a case of trial and error.

Without some form of Post manipulation the extremes can be too much.

BruceD

Well, I did hit the button that automatically corrects lighting and color. :)

For all those pics, that's about all I can put into it. Luckily the Sony NEX cameras do pretty well on their own using low-light settings and image stabilization. The newer ones have far better high ISO performance than mine, the shots would be much clearer. A Zeiss lens wouldn't hurt either, I just don't use the camera enough to justify it.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Well, I did hit the button that automatically corrects lighting and color. :)

For all those pics, that's about all I can put into it. Luckily the Sony NEX cameras do pretty well on their own using low-light settings and image stabilization. The newer ones have far better high ISO performance than mine, the shots would be much clearer. A Zeiss lens wouldn't hurt either, I just don't use the camera enough to justify it.

Agree you did damn good--I'm only nitpickin':)

On the other hand--there are some that still feel any ole Snap will sell their goods!

BD

SS1.jpg

trueblue

Jan 23, 2013
Good to hear, I was there Friday and it sounded as you describe, that's awesome you got it sounding lively and dynamic. There was also a big mismatch in tweeter height to ear level when sitting in those chairs, I was wondering if that was an issue as tall ribbons beam in the vertical plane... I'd consider raising and/or slightly tilting the speaker back or bring some nice low-slung couches, which would be much nicer than those hotel chairs anyways! ;)

Congrats on the awards!

The room photographs well with the nice background, but I'd consider some lighting for the speakers and equipment rack too. I think the best photos come from taking the pics without a flash... not that many put effort into making sure the room photographs well w/o flash.

Just for example, the Voxativ room with light on the speaker drivers...

The Gryphon speakers was missing their original feet, that would lift the tweeter 1 inch higher.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Congrats! We've got the sources leading to a Burmester 948 to the wall of dedicated lines. But the Gryphon is direct to a dedicated hi-voltage 16amp outlet.

View attachment 36450

It really was a unique experience for us to attend a show and straight off the bat to start collecting awards. As soon as we opened the doors on Friday morning, Steve Rochlin from Enjoy The Music showed up and presented us with a Product of the Year Award 2017 for the Diablo 300 & DAC,

During the day, a couple of the RMAF organizers showed up and reminded me that I need to attend the International Press Awards ceremony on Friday evening.

I am v grateful to Jason Serinus from Stereophile, who posed the question on Saturday as to whether the Diablo amplifier was connected to the Isotek line conditioner, when I confirmed that it was, he instructed me to immediately connect the amplifier directly to an AC inlet. Wow, what a difference, in comparison the Isotek connected amp sounded congested & turgid. The amp suddenly had terrific dynamics and sounded lively with unlimited power. My apologies to anyone who came by the room on Friday or Saturday morning. By Sunday afternoon the system was really rocking. We measured Michael Fremer's vinyl rip of Led Zepp's Whole Lotta Love, the Bob Ludwig Hot LP is stunning ! (Just bought my own copy on eBay this afternoon.) - people were measuring 112dB on the phones, everyone left the room with a HUGE grin on the faces. Great fun was had by all.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing