Magnepan 30.7

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone know the frequency at which the midrange driver in the midrange/tweeter panel crosses over to the mid-bass driver in the mid-bass/bass panel?

What is the crossover frequency between the mid-bass driver and the bass driver (both of which are in the mid-bass/bass panel)?

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Does anyone know the frequency at which the midrange driver in the midrange/tweeter panel crosses over to the mid-bass driver in the mid-bass/bass panel?

What is the crossover frequency between the mid-bass driver and the bass driver (both of which are in the mid-bass/bass panel)?

I believe it’s 3 k for the Ribbon, not sure about mid bass driver transition...

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
Yesterday I had the occasion to listen to the 30.7 at a friend's home. Amps were Aesthetix Atlas, source was Aesthetix Romulus.

Frankly, I had expected more, given the hefty price tag (about 100 k-Euros) attached to the system. Some stuff like guitar ensembles (Friedemann "Saitensprung") or Church organ with choir and female singer (Marianne Mellnas "Julsang") was very pleasing, but the system failed on stuff like deep bass (Rio Amazonas by Oystein Sevag & Lakki Patey) and the electronic (?) drum in Sting's "A thousand years". Pogressive rock/metal with heavy guitars, mixed with very litte to no dynamic range (Ayreon, Universal migrator) was equally disappointing, when comparing to my system where the drum and Ayreon are much more powerful, and the Rio Amazonas bass more solid and pronounced. The Magnepan/Aesthetix did produce these sounds, but with someone pulling on the brake cable.

They also failed on the LEDR's Up and Lateral test signals.

My 2 cents,
Klaus

Reactions: Hi-FiGuy

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yesterday I had the occasion to listen to the 30.7 at a friend's home. Amps were Aesthetix Atlas, source was Aesthetix Romulus.

Frankly, I had expected more, given the hefty price tag (about 100 k-Euros) attached to the system. Some stuff like guitar ensembles (Friedemann "Saitensprung") or Church organ with choir and female singer (Marianne Mellnas "Julsang") was very pleasing, but the system failed on stuff like deep bass (Rio Amazonas by Oystein Sevag & Lakki Patey) and the electronic (?) drum in Sting's "A thousand years". Pogressive rock/metal with heavy guitars, mixed with very litte to no dynamic range (Ayreon, Universal migrator) was equally disappointing, when comparing to my system where the drum and Ayreon are much more powerful, and the Rio Amazonas bass more solid and pronounced. The Magnepan/Aesthetix did produce these sounds, but with someone pulling on the brake cable.

They also failed on the LEDR's Up and Lateral test signals.

My 2 cents,
Klaus

Thank you for this report. Considering how many amps and loudspeakers these days cost €100,000 by themselves, and considering how well I personally think such a system would, in the right room, reproduce guitar ensembles and vocals, I would be happy to defend the proposition that the total system cost is reasonable for the SOTA sound quality one is getting on the types of music on which this system excels.

But you have written another point as well with which I agree: I think, and a friend of mine who has enjoyed Magnepans for over 25 years would agree, that this system needs serious sub-woofing (or even 100Hz woofing) to play deep bass and rock and metal.

I would consider a REL “six pack” of No. 25s or G1 Mk. IIs or a pair of JL Audio Gothams or Wilson Audio Master Subsonics to be necessary additions to this system for deep bass and rock and metal. A custom woofer tower system receiving a low-pass signal from a transparent cross-over device might be an even more effective (if much more DIY difficult) way to go.

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
I would be happy to defend the proposition that the total system cost is reasonable for the SOTA sound quality one is getting on the types of music on which this system excels.

In my book, SOTA is in the eye of the beholder. For me SOTA is still this

kleinundhummel_o900_o500.gif

17Hz - 20 kHz, ± 1,5 dB. Designed to be neutral without compromise. Your mileage may vary.

But you have written another point as well with which I agree: I think, and a friend of mine who has enjoyed Magnepans for over 25 years would agree, that this system needs serious sub-woofing (or even 100Hz woofing) to play deep bass and rock and metal.

Would you not agree that a brand's flagship speaker, at this price point, should not need "a little help of its friends"?

Klaus

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
In my book, SOTA is in the eye of the beholder. For me SOTA is still this

View attachment 58536

17Hz - 20 kHz, ± 1,5 dB. Designed to be neutral without compromise. Your mileage may vary.

Would you not agree that a brand's flagship speaker, at this price point, should not need "a little help of its friends"?

Klaus

SOTA is in the ear of the beholder — I totally agree.

No, I cannot agree, on the help from friends point. Speakers often do not excel with every genre of music. I think 30.7s reproduce vocals and ensembles more realistically than many speakers costing multiples of the price of the 30.7s.

It does not offend my sensibility to think that for Magnepans to excel at deep bass and rock music as well we need to expand their operating envelope with additions of dynamic drivers which move a lot of air.

KlausR.

Dec 13, 2010
No, I cannot agree, on the help from friends point. Speakers often do not excel with every genre of music. I think 30.7s reproduce vocals and ensembles more realistically than many speakers costing multiples of the price of the 30.7s.

It does not offend my sensibility to think that for Magnepans to excel at deep bass and rock music as well we need to expand their operating envelope with additions of dynamic drivers which move a lot of air.

If the Magnepans need an exo-skeleton for climbing steep hills, then maybe that speaker technology should be considered as being seriously compromised in that particular respect and by design always be combined with on-board subs.

In any case, I mentioned this bass issue veeeeery cautiously against my friend and he basically agreed, but nevertheless seems to be perfectly happy with those Maggies, and this is what it is all about. My mileage clearly varies.

Klaus

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Whether or not to add dynamic driver reinforcement to Magnepan speakers (or Martin-Logan CLS or CLX speakers or Analysis Audio speakers, etc.) is an age-old question. I like enough symphony orchestra music and rock music such that the answer for me personally would be “yes.”

But it’s tricky, because it is not just about bringing subwoofers up underneath the main panel speakers at 40Hz or so. What I would be missing on rock and symphony orchestra is oomph and power in the 100Hz to 200Hz region. So it is a conundrum.

This is why I switched years ago from MG-IIIAs to Martin-Logan Prodigys, and why my future ribbon speakers have cone driver reinforcement starting at 200Hz.

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Sharing pics of most probably the first 30.7 in the Philippines. Owner is an old friend of mine. We almost have similar tastes in speakers, owning B&W800s in the 90s, and both of us have the 3.7i's but he went 2 steps further to the 30.7 just a month ago. He is very impressed by them.

IMG-1609159800268-V.jpg

IMG-4a7da9248a64f622537e9a8b8270f1c8-V.jpg

Last edited:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
What amp does he use to drive 30.7?
BFA Mono blocks. He said the bass punch of these panels is almost equal to his huge 4 tower Danish speakers.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Sharing pics of most probably the first 30.7 in the Philippines. Owner is an old friend of mine. We almost have similar tastes in speakers, owning B&W800s in the 90s, and both of us have the 3.7i's but he went 2 steps further to the 30.7 just a month ago. He is very impressed by them.

View attachment 73025

View attachment 73026
Awesome mystique listening room. The lighting and shadowing with wood contrast make the room feels special. I heard the 30.7 two times. Both times I like the tone, clarity., openness and tape--like sound very much. There are so many great audio rooms in asia.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Awesome mystique listening room. The lighting and shadowing with wood contrast make the room feels special. I heard the 30.7 two times. Both times I like the tone, clarity., openness and tape--like sound very much. There are so many great audio rooms in asia.
It's a deeply thought out room. The amazing thing is that this room is big enough to house 2 speakers 'back-to-back'. The other end of the room has a system anchored on Air Tights running Gryphon's Kodo speakers. So he will just 'spin' his listening chair around to listen to them. :)

adyc

VIP/Donor
Jan 5, 2013
It's a deeply thought out room. The amazing thing is that this room is big enough to house 2 speakers 'back-to-back'. The other end of the room has a system anchored on Air Tights running Gryphon's Kodo speakers. So he will just 'spin' his listening chair around to listen to them. :)
How large is the room? Thanks.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
How large is the room? Thanks.
I have not visited him so I can just make an estimate. Should be around 80 to 100 square meters, rectangular.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia

View attachment 73025

View attachment 73026
Beautiful setup I wish I had this much room for my 30.7s.congratulations

Reactions: jadis

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Whether or not to add dynamic driver reinforcement to Magnepan speakers (or Martin-Logan CLS or CLX speakers or Analysis Audio speakers, etc.) is an age-old question. I like enough symphony orchestra music and rock music such that the answer for me personally would be “yes.”

But it’s tricky, because it is not just about bringing subwoofers up underneath the main panel speakers at 40Hz or so. What I would be missing on rock and symphony orchestra is oomph and power in the 100Hz to 200Hz region. So it is a conundrum.

This is why I switched years ago from MG-IIIAs to Martin-Logan Prodigys, and why my future ribbon speakers have cone driver reinforcement starting at 200Hz.
imho If you want real dynamics from a speaker only horn speakers can provide it.I gave up along time ago in trying to find a speaker that does it all.i use magnapan 30.7 for acoustic music , classical chamber music and high quality vocal recordings.than my stacked horns for pop, rock heavy metal any music that is very demanding because I am very demanding. I run to 15 inch subs with the horns for flat bass response to 18 hz.my horn system hits you in the chest with bass slam and dynamics.116 db for 1 watt input. My friends are absolutely blown away when they hear my horns for pop and rock and big orchestra sounds.the 30.7s shine in the areas my horns don’t.I believe I am now fixed for life.I listen to all types of music and have 2 very different speakers that give me everything I require. image.jpg

Reactions: Mikem53

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
" You got to have friends. You know you can't d o it alone."

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I don’t like the idea of magnapan using dynamic drivers with there panels.I like pure panels and I am sure a lot of people would agree with me.i don’t believe adding dynamic drivers would improve the Maggie’s for pop or rock music Much.they will still be much more suited for classical, jazz etc rather than a pop or rock speaker. If people want punch and real dynamics everyone knows only horns are good enough.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . If people want punch and real dynamics everyone knows only horns are good enough.

I am happy for you that you are satisfied with your two very different systems!

But . . . "everyone knows"? Many people would disagree, and contend that only the percussive impact of dynamic drivers can provide "punch and real dynamics." I personally think that both horns and big cones can provide "punch and real dynamics."

I, for one, find significant wooferage (e.g., a REL "6 pack") mated with Magnepan 20.7s (driven by a few hundred watts) to achieve sound which is close to or at the state-of-the art.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing