Magnepan 30.7

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
So would Bob Carver's 1000 watt, 4 chassis tube mono block amps with KT150 output tubes and silver wound output transformers provide enough juice for the 30.7?

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Methinks that an amp stable into low impedance loads, say 1ohm or so, can drive the Magnepan and Apogee loudspeakers with verve; 20 watts or 2,000 watts rated.

Last edited:

gilles13

Dec 17, 2015
south of France
Bob Carver loved Apogee, at one time he had apogee scintilla with a terrific impedence curve and one of his ancient loudspeaker design was a visual copy of apogee but in fact only the Ribon Twitter shared apogee design, the other hp were conventional .

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Bob Carver loved Apogee, at one time he had apogee scintilla with a terrific impedence curve and one of his ancient loudspeaker design was a visual copy of apogee but in fact only the Ribon Twitter shared apogee design, the other hp were conventional .

Yes, but he still has the Scintillas. He thinks his new ALS has surpassed it. All his tube amps that are 200+ watts have 1 ohm taps.

plurn

May 13, 2016
Australia

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Here is my evaluation of Jonathan Valin's credibility in his review of the Magneplanar 30.7:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?10912-Jonathan-Valin-the-best-audio-writer-EVER&p=482810&viewfull=1#post482810

LOL! JV and most other reviewers use the same tactic. They never want to say anything bad about a new product especially when the manufacturer is spending big chunk in advertising in their mag. In the end, they end up contradicting themselves and sounding like shills.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Yes, but he still has the Scintillas. He thinks his new ALS has surpassed it. All his tube amps that are 200+ watts have 1 ohm taps.

I had his relatively newer Amazings, very dynamic and super fast!!!

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You mean his planar Amazings? I have his latest ALS, and it's the best speaker I've ever owned in my 30 years in this hobby.

Yes, I had the ALS III, a 4' ribbon and 10" woofer.

WRT your latest ALS, they are stackable correct? I'm curious if you have a pair or multiple stacked?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
Sorry, I was thinking of these. http://www.sunfire.com/productdetail.asp?id=24
I believe Bob talked in interviews about making these stackable. I think this was the basis for you newer model.

You are correct in a sense. The latest ALS is based on CRM-2. It's like having 13 CRM-2 stack on top of each other, but more complex. Different midrange drivers, more complex crossover, and the fact it's a true line source set the ALS apart from CRM-2.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
You are correct in a sense. The latest ALS is based on CRM-2. It's like having 13 CRM-2 stack on top of each other, but more complex. Different midrange drivers, more complex crossover, and the fact it's a true line source set the ALS apart from CRM-2.

I love Carver gear, great bang for your $. I had 2 of his cube amps back in the day and an M1.0 with matching preamp. Also, I just realized you're in TX. Depending where we should sync up. I'm near Austin.

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
I love Carver gear, great bang for your $. I had 2 of his cube amps back in the day and an M1.0 with matching preamp. Also, I just realized you're in TX. Depending where we should sync up. I'm near Austin.

The older Carver solid state gear were entry level hifi with midfi prices. However, the new Carver tube gear and ALS speakers are reference class level gear. Puts many of the well established highend gear at multiples of Carver price to shame. I wish I had more time to meet with other audiophiles in Texas, but I rarely have the time. BTW, I also have the Aqua Formula DAC and fully treated dedicated 2 channel audio room.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting, got to check

planarman

Apr 30, 2017
I have owned and heard all Maggies - Do yourself a favor run dont walk and listen to a Planar speaker that does not have a crossover on the crucial main panel - uses pure 6N Copper traces- uses rare earth Neodymium magnets (not inferior ceramic) and a membrane that utilizes a proprietary composite membrane that elimates the plasticky Maggie house sound.
That speaker is GT Audio Works GT3AR. Handcrafted in Stockholm, N.J. Contact Greg Takesh for more info

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
The older Carver solid state gear were entry level hifi with midfi prices. However, the new Carver tube gear and ALS speakers are reference class level gear. Puts many of the well established highend gear at multiples of Carver price to shame. I wish I had more time to meet with other audiophiles in Texas, but I rarely have the time. BTW, I also have the Aqua Formula DAC and fully treated dedicated 2 channel audio room.

I would say the older Carver gear was up to par with very good gear of the same era. Yes, the newer gear is much better as is most newer gear due to advances in technology and manufacturing. I wouldn't call it entry level hifi, especially the Carver Amazings, stellar sound for back in the 80s. Note - the ribbons in the Carvers were leveraged by Arnie Nudell of Infinity and Genesis for the follow - up to the IRS V Genesis towers, they are that good and far from "entry level hifi"...

dr k

VIP/Donor
Aug 4, 2016
California
I would say the older Carver gear was up to par with very good gear of the same era. Yes, the newer gear is much better as is most newer gear due to advances in technology and manufacturing. I wouldn't call it entry level hifi, especially the Carver Amazings, stellar sound for back in the 80s. Note - the ribbons in the Carvers were leveraged by Arnie Nudell of Infinity and Genesis for the follow - up to the IRS V Genesis towers, they are that good and far from "entry level hifi"...

If you read my comment carefully, I never called the Amazings entry level hifi. I said his old solid state gear is entry level. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: sbo6

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing