Magnepan 30.7

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Magnepan 30.7.jpg

Magnepan announced it today on their Facebook group. According to Eric Noorgarden, "There will be a new planar speaker in town, very soon. It's called the Magnepan 30.7 and it will be available in early 2018. For now, here's a photo. An official description along with accompanying reviews will take place later this month and throughout the remainder of 2017. Think of the 30.7 as a mix of the 20.7 and the Tympani series. A bit like a Tympani "unhinged." The massive bass panel is the same size as the entire 20.7 panel. The tweeter and midrange are on the smaller panel. More details, including pricing and specifications are forthcoming.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Very interesting... Who all own modded Maggies here, btw, with cross over etc updated?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ked, I put WA cap chips on all the capacitors of my 20.7s... made them a good degree more visceral and a bit more full bodied and naturally free flowing and proved to be a very good move.

I've just asked today if I can get the bass panels of the 30.7s to use with my 20.7s ala Tympani. I had thought ages ago about seeing if Magnepan would do a separate super bass panel as an outrigger since Tympani was my original panel pinup and a more full width span of panels made some sense as I was planning to go for a larger listening room eventually. I was also inspired by hearing the change of adding the much smaller Magnepan DWM bass panels in concert with a pair of 3.7s.

I'm hoping this may prove the ideal upgrade for the Maggies by passively crossing over with the new full width bass panels. Super excited by the potential of this as the next very real upgrade for the Maggies.

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Some initial thoughts on the 30.7s from The Absolute Sound, $29k and due for release in January...

Magnepan 30.7

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
This is a very exciting development! (Why did it take Magnepan so many years to resuscitate this concept?)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Some initial thoughts on the 30.7s from The Absolute Sound, $29k and due for release in January...

Magnepan 30.7

Interesting review. As usual full of hyperbole.....question is how much of it can be relied upon. Since it is JV who wrote this review, I am highly suspect of the actual SQ. Plus, whether these new Maggie’s can be driven by any standard mid,or even higher powdered,amp is still a big ??
Nonetheless, a speaker that I would very much like to hear. Assuming some of the typical Maggie flaws are removed, it could be a major contender. One just has to hear these for one self, and in a system that can work in your room.
I’m trapesing to my local Maggie dealer in January...if I can figure out where they are these days, lol.p:D

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Not sure Ron,
I've been hoping they'd revisit a Tympani scaled panel for years and I've already spoken to the local importer who is a good mate about them... may have to work a bit longer now tho but the whole retirement thing sounds overrated lol.

Hyperbole in a JV review... surely not, how can this possibly be! I'm hoping they'll release the bass panel available separately as an add on ala DWM panel on steroids and then go biamp but a four way first order crossover does sound the ticket.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . Plus, whether these new Maggie’s can be driven by any standard mid,or even higher powdered,amp is still a big ??
. . .

I'm sure the answer is no, but so what? Many speakers have particular amplification requirements which have to be satisfied for optimal sound quality.

If I used Magnepans today I would consider the Aesthetix Atlas hybrid mono and the Lamm hybrid and the very high-power all-tube push-pull contenders.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Not heard the Tympani 1D's--but experienced Triple pairs MG IIIs Tri Amped with Ampzilla200's Lp12, SME, EMT TSD15 Cart at James Bongiorno's Apartment

Tremendous "whack"and alive sound!

Glad I wasn't his neighbour:p

BruceD

New Maggies look good!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I'm sure the answer is no, but so what? Many speakers have particular amplification requirements which have to be satisfied for optimal sound quality.

If I used Magnepans today I would consider the Aesthetix Atlas hybrid mono and the Lamm hybrid and the very high-power all-tube push-pull contenders.

So what......

Ok, here’s why IMHO this is an issue that is not that great...if it is indeed a factor.
As a speaker restricts the number of acceptable amps that work with it, the more the end user will have to potentially compromise on the sound. I know this is not a popular opinion, but it is my opinion....and that is, that most amps that truly sound great fall within a stratus that is effectively mid-powered to low powered.
Rarely is the high powered sibling as great sounding as its lower powered relative. IME, the lower powered variant is usually the variant that you want to go for.
If the new 30.7’s require a brute of an amp... or for that matter a brute that is a ss brute, then this to me would discount this particular speaker from contention. Many years ago I turned down a pair of Apogees for this very reason...and to this day, I am glad that I did. YMMV.

Oh, one other thing...usually a very high powered tube amp means a couple of things....numerous power tubes and along with the extra maintenance..a great deal more heat.....thanks, but no thanks! Been there done that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikem53

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
DaveyF, I'm unsure if the impedance load characteristics would likely be much different than the 20.7s. I'd imagine any amp that drives the 20.7s would be similarly fine with the 30.7s and there are plenty of fantastic sounding amps to choose from that can do this easy. I'd much rather have this relatively slight limitation than have to choose and then live with a lesser speaker as I feel the faults of a speaker are usually more obvious than the limitations of an amp. But everthing is a range of compromises in the end and certainly yes we all have to choose for our priorities.

I keep coming back to the idea that the merits of low power amps are absolutely worth exploring but in another system, say with horns, for sure. But then the horns can have their own limitations as well. The happy place is to have both.

Last edited:

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
DaveyF, I'm unsure if the impedance load characteristics would likely be much different than the 20.7s. I'd imagine any amp that drives the 20.7s would be similarly fine with the 30.7s and there are plenty of fantastic sounding amps to choose from that can do this easy. I'd much rather have this relatively slight limitation than have to choose and then live with a lesser speaker as I feel the faults of a speaker are usually more obvious than the limitations of an amp. But everthing is a range of compromises in the end and certainly yes we all have to choose for our priorities.

I keep coming back to the idea that the merits of low power amps are absolutely worth exploring but in another system, say with horns, for sure. But then the horns can have their own limitations as well. The happy place is to have both.

The impedance characteristics could be very different from the 20.7. The addition of a bass panel and an additional panel per side would likely indicate that. Whether or not the new 30.7 is an acceptable load for most amps is an unknown at this time....but my guess is it is going to be a very tough load to drive.:(

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I see the logic tho I hope it is not too scary a load because I do love the idea of the 30.7s and like you are very keen to hear them. Hoping they can hold at the 5 ohm and relatively benign load of most of the Maggies as this was always a bit of a benefit over many other panels that can be much more of a challenge in this area.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Very interesting... Who all own modded Maggies here, btw, with cross over etc updated?

A few changes.... Magnepan 3.6s totally modified crossover: Tweeter/mids passive XO have all Duelund Cast caps and inductors; Bass panel/ subs XOs are active via Pass Labs XVR-1 3 way run in bandpass mode (active XOs are modified). 3.6 Panels are also rewired with Neotech 69s croyed copper, no fuses, BPHEX copper binding posts, no socks beneath grill cloth. Each custom amp powering panel speakers provides ~400watts/ch into 4ohms of hybrid power for the 3.6s. Subs are 500 watts/ch and DSP equalized.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The speakers look great! I couldn't help but wonder if Weird Al Yankovic is the one in the picture LOL

StickMan451

Aug 11, 2010
Castle Rock, CO
The 30.7's and Comments on the Proper AMPS for Maggies

I've had 20.7's for about five years now and the news on the 30.7's is definitely very exciting! The big Maggies are not perfect (but, of course, NO Speaker is perfect). To add a little impact to the bass I use two REL G-2's (running these at VERY low levels, 27hz and about 1/5 on the volume control). This setup has worked great for me! However, the possibility of removing the RELS and using the much larger matching Maggie woofer panels definitely sounds like a prescription for a Major Improvement! I'm anxiously awaiting an opportunity to hear the 30.7's.

A comment on Amps for Maggies. For several years I tried MANY different amplifiers on my 20.7's; most failed miserably!!! I tried several "well respected high powered SS amps, in the range of 350 watts per channel to amps that were 500 watts per channel that claimed to double into 4 ohm loads. (I did not try the big Bryston amps which is what Wendell at Magnepan always uses at shows). Most of the SS amps that did actually work would start to sag and struggle as the volume levels got higher, oftentimes they would blow a fuse or simply shut off.

Then, I happened across a review by Jonathan Valin in The Absolute sound on the new Carver 305 tubed mono blocks. He emphatically said the the Carvers WERE THE TUBE AMPS for Maggies; he was right! I did some additional research and found two other very complimentary reviews of the Carver amps, one by Dick Olsher and one by Peter Breuninger (AV Showrooms). The Carver 305's (now the 350's) use 6 KT120's output tubes per side and let me tell you that they will drive Magnepans to ear blistering levels and NEVER break a sweat!!! They do not strain, fail, blow fuses, or compress the sound, or even get very hot (you can literally put your hands on the tubes without burning yourself).

Enough of the commercial for Carver; if you own Magnepans you should try a pair of the 350 mono blocks! Also, I have had my 305's for over four years and I am still using the SAME output tubes; Carver claims that they will last at least 20 years (I'm not sure about that, by so far so good).

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I've had 20.7's for about five years now and the news on the 30.7's is definitely very exciting! The big Maggies are not perfect (but, of course, NO Speaker is perfect). To add a little impact to the bass I use two REL G-2's (running these at VERY low levels, 27hz and about 1/5 on the volume control). This setup has worked great for me! However, the possibility of removing the RELS and using the much larger matching Maggie woofer panels definitely sounds like a prescription for a Major Improvement! I'm anxiously awaiting an opportunity to hear the 30.7's.

A comment on Amps for Maggies. For several years I tried MANY different amplifiers on my 20.7's; most failed miserably!!! I tried several "well respected high powered SS amps, in the range of 350 watts per channel to amps that were 500 watts per channel that claimed to double into 4 ohm loads. (I did not try the big Bryston amps which is what Wendell at Magnepan always uses at shows). Most of the SS amps that did actually work would start to sag and struggle as the volume levels got higher, oftentimes they would blow a fuse or simply shut off.

Then, I happened across a review by Jonathan Valin in The Absolute sound on the new Carver 305 tubed mono blocks. He emphatically said the the Carvers WERE THE TUBE AMPS for Maggies; he was right! I did some additional research and found two other very complimentary reviews of the Carver amps, one by Dick Olsher and one by Peter Breuninger (AV Showrooms). The Carver 305's (now the 350's) use 6 KT120's output tubes per side and let me tell you that they will drive Magnepans to ear blistering levels and NEVER break a sweat!!! They do not strain, fail, blow fuses, or compress the sound, or even get very hot (you can literally put your hands on the tubes without burning yourself).

Enough of the commercial for Carver; if you own Magnepans you should try a pair of the 350 mono blocks! Also, I have had my 305's for over four years and I am still using the SAME output tubes; Carver claims that they will last at least 20 years (I'm not sure about that, by so far so good).

I'd love to hear a 30.7 at a show. Alas, every show they have some crappy low end set up behind curtains. The Maggie group wins every year for the worst in show.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
If I were building an "affordable" 2 channel system (or even a multi-channel system), these would be the speakers I would buy. The "magic" of the Maggie sound with reasonable bass, and some hefty tube amps (or the right solid state amps) would be really easy to live with, assuming appropriately sized room. As many expensive systems as I have heard (and owned), ONLY the Maggies (some 20.x's wth ARC tube amps) put a live piano in the space. 15+ years later and the sound is still stuck in my head.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
I'd love to hear a 30.7 at a show. Alas, every show they have some crappy low end set up behind curtains. The Maggie group wins every year for the worst in show.

Well you have to get past Wendell's wife to even get into the room:D

so you've saved yourself some angst :mad:

BruceD

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing