Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magnepan 30.7

So would Bob Carver's 1000 watt, 4 chassis tube mono block amps with KT150 output tubes and silver wound output transformers provide enough juice for the 30.7?

Ask him. In the past he built tube amps for apogee loudspeakers which are far more difficult to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by gilles13 View Post
    Ask him. In the past he built tube amps for apogee loudspeakers which are far more difficult to drive.
    I was kidding. I think a 1000 tube watts is more than enough for any Magnepan.

Member Addicted to Best! NorthStar's Avatar
    Methinks that an amp stable into low impedance loads, say 1ohm or so, can drive the Magnepan and Apogee loudspeakers with verve; 20 watts or 2,000 watts rated.
    Last edited by NorthStar; 10-24-2017 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typo
    All the Very Best, - Bob --------- "And it stoned me to my soul" - Van Morrison --------- AudiophileAudition

Bob Carver loved Apogee, at one time he had apogee scintilla with a terrific impedence curve and one of his ancient loudspeaker design was a visual copy of apogee but in fact only the Ribon Twitter shared apogee design, the other hp were conventional .

Quote Originally Posted by gilles13 View Post
    Bob Carver loved Apogee, at one time he had apogee scintilla with a terrific impedence curve and one of his ancient loudspeaker design was a visual copy of apogee but in fact only the Ribon Twitter shared apogee design, the other hp were conventional .
    Yes, but he still has the Scintillas. He thinks his new ALS has surpassed it. All his tube amps that are 200+ watts have 1 ohm taps.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Interesting review. As usual full of hyperbole.....question is how much of it can be relied upon. Since it is JV who wrote this review, I am highly suspect of the actual SQ. ...
    Here is my evaluation of Jonathan Valin's credibility in his review of the Magneplanar 30.7:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post482810

Quote Originally Posted by plurn View Post
    Here is my evaluation of Jonathan Valin's credibility in his review of the Magneplanar 30.7:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...l=1#post482810
    LOL! JV and most other reviewers use the same tactic. They never want to say anything bad about a new product especially when the manufacturer is spending big chunk in advertising in their mag. In the end, they end up contradicting themselves and sounding like shills.

Quote Originally Posted by dr k View Post
    Yes, but he still has the Scintillas. He thinks his new ALS has surpassed it. All his tube amps that are 200+ watts have 1 ohm taps.
    I had his relatively newer Amazings, very dynamic and super fast!!!
    3x20A circuits | PS Audio PPP | Music PC (HQPlayer w/DEQ, Roon) | AQ Cinnamon CAT7 cable | HDPLex LPSU -> UltraCap LPS-1 -> Sonore Ultrarendu D->D | Aqua Hifi Formula DAC | Purity Audio Silver Statement preamp | Wells Audio Innamorata amp | Musical Fidelity A3CR amp | Usher BE20D speakers with GR Research upgrade | 2: JL Audio F113 subs | JPS Labs SC3 ICs + Aluminata/SC2 SCs | Stillpoints, BD cones | Custom birch rack | Fully treated + dedicated 2 channel room (absorption/diffusion)

Quote Originally Posted by sbo6 View Post
    I had his relatively newer Amazings, very dynamic and super fast!!!
    You mean his planar Amazings? I have his latest ALS, and it's the best speaker I've ever owned in my 30 years in this hobby.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast