RMAF 2017--picture thread

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Avantgarde room 7014

these are the hybrids, with powered bass and passive higher frequencies.

not good sound. but I've been impressed by the Zero's before.....so....???

zero.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Merging Technologies room 7025

quite good sound, and I was impressed with a quad dsd file they played (i had to help them find it on their Roon tablet).....'de Falla' of some sort I think suppose to be on the Native dsd site (which I will acquire). i'm a big dxd and Quad fan, and had an enjoyable talk with these guys about the current state of the highest rez music. they were surprised when I told them that I still preferred my vinyl and tape to my quad and dxd files. I told them they need to get out more. :)

my initial concern visually in this room was how close the speakers were together. but it worked and the bass was quite even and lively compared to many other rooms. the sound was open and balanced.

merg.jpg

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Martin Logans usually sound bad at a show, and with SS. They can sound thin, lean in the mudbass, even anemic and sometimes a bit plastic. All these qualities disappear when good valves are matched with them, and density is added to the panel. Also they have a narrow sweet spot. At the most the power amp should be the only SS there, though AR 250s seem to be driving these pretty well and Roy Gregory used the Berning quads on his.

Yes, they usually. Yes, they can. But the best sound I ever listened from Martin Logan's was a Mark Levinson complete system (including ML30-31) with Transparent Audio and to Krell's with Martin Logan. Surely in good rooms with space to breath. My apologies for interrupting, Mike.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Yes, they usually. Yes, they can. But the best sound I ever listened from Martin Logan's was a Mark Levinson complete system (including ML30-31) with Transparent Audio and to Krell's with Martin Logan. Surely in good rooms with space to breath. My apologies for interrupting, Mike.

no worries, done for now and need to pack and check my bag (leaving tonight) and then head out to visit rooms for the day which open in an hour.

my next pics likely won't be posted until maybe i'm waiting for my flight late tonight. the pic loading problem screwed me up last night.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Martin Logans usually sound bad at a show, and with SS. They can sound thin, lean in the mudbass, even anemic and sometimes a bit plastic. All these qualities disappear when good valves are matched with them, and density is added to the panel. Also they have a narrow sweet spot. At the most the power amp should be the only SS there, though AR 250s seem to be driving these pretty well and Roy Gregory used the Berning quads on his.

Ked, Have you ever heard a Martin Logan and all Spectral electronic chain system?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, Have you ever heard a Martin Logan and all Spectral electronic chain system?

Nope. Spectral sounded very good on sound labs though but in a very big room.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Merging Technologies room 7025

quite good sound, and I was impressed with a quad dsd file they played (i had to help them find it on their Roon tablet).....'de Falla' of some sort I think suppose to be on the Native dsd site (which I will acquire). i'm a big dxd and Quad fan, and had an enjoyable talk with these guys about the current state of the highest rez music. they were surprised when I told them that I still preferred my vinyl and tape to my quad and dxd files. I told them they need to get out more. :)

my initial concern visually in this room was how close the speakers were together. but it worked and the bass was quite even and lively compared to many other rooms. the sound was open and balanced.

View attachment 35701

Manuel de Falla was a Spanish composer that wrote some beautiful classical music, some of it was inspired by the Alhambra gardens in Granada (the South of Spain). Take a look at the Alhambra and you understand immediately why this music is so gorgeous.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Do you know if they're using vintage Altec drivers or new reproduction Mike?
david

Mike,
I'm also interested in learning more about these speakers. It look like a Great Plains Audio 604 with a Fostex super tweeter and base reinforcement. Very interesting!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice pics! I'll post some of my own soon. Did you check out the Verity room? I thought it was excellent.

What model verity, and amps?

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
What model verity, and amps?

Lohengrin IIS speakers in Quilted Big Leaf Maple plus the new Verity Pre-2 DAC/Preamplifier and the Verity Amp-60 power amplifier. They're are playing high resolution material and vinyls through the Verity DAC

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Manuel de Falla was a Spanish composer that wrote some beautiful classical music, some of it was inspired by the Alhambra gardens in Granada (the South of Spain). Take a look at the Alhambra and you understand immediately why this music is so gorgeous.

Try '3 Cornered Hat' on Decca, it is fantastic..

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Attachments

• D5F3DE9E-7E82-4EB3-9ADB-64000726FB2E.JPG
    D5F3DE9E-7E82-4EB3-9ADB-64000726FB2E.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 602

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
IMG_0873.jpg Sounding glorious right now in 24/192 upsampled to DSD128 via HQPlayer (polysinc xtr mp/ASDM7)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Although his best known music belongs to his Madrid period, returning from Paris, Manuel De Falla was born in Andalusia and his music has a strong Andalusian and gipsy inspiration. But IMHO the more intense of Falla are his works for stage. Two of his last works - El retablo de maese Pedro and El gran teatro del mundo, composed after Cervantes and Calderon de la Barca plays when he was living in Granada - are since long in my top favorite recording lists. And we also get an impressive version of the well known Amor Brujo. IMHO these recordings should be mandatory to evaluate systems with digital, including Lampizator's! :)

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 582
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 582

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing