RMAF 2017--picture thread

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Troy Audio.

never heard them before, but....Wow!

not cheap, but super smooth and extended top end.......quite the sophisticated sound. and really enjoyed talking to designer Francisco Jileta and his son Javier. this is a brand, built in Mexico, that I will be rooting for.

troy.jpg
Troy 3.jpg
Troy 4.jpg

Attachments

• troy l.jpg
    troy l.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 1,023
Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Voxativ room 5000.

sweet sounding high efficiency speakers and electronics from Germany. drivers made of wood and built by the speaker designer in house.

Voxativ--rm 5000.jpg

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Lampizator--room 5030

visited the Lampizator room at RMAF twice to hear the new Pacific dac. first time it was early and they were still in somewhat set-up mode.

second time better, more settled.

first impressions were that there is fundamentally more information than my recollection of the last upgraded version I had of the GG in my system (this was a full spec SE GG as of 12/15/16). lower noise, more refined and sophisticated. it sounds more out of the way of the music, and it gives less of it's own signature. great transparency and texture.

this is very provisional as this is a show and all that stuff. but.....congrats to Lukasz and all the Lampi faithful.......your new thing seems for real to my ears.

and in person it's beautiful. has very elegant lines and scale.

View attachment 35686
View attachment 35687
View attachment 35688

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Thanks for the link!
I do not know if its just my PC but your first two posts come through just fine, but the Lampi and ML room picks do not show and the links do not work. Do not know if others are experiencing this or not.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Nagra-Wilson---room 1030

was only there briefly; I know this gear can sound amazing, but a bit too wooly sounding for me early the first day. only heard part of an Lp.

Nagra--Wilson.jpg

Last edited:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nice pics! I'll post some of my own soon. Did you check out the Verity room? I thought it was excellent.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for the link!
I do not know if its just my PC but your first two posts come through just fine, but the Lampi and ML room picks do not show and the links do not work. Do not know if others are experiencing this or not.

Links work for me if you click them

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
Doesn't work

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Thanks, Mike -- look forward to experiencing RMAF, vicariously! :cool:

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Do you know if they're using vintage Altec drivers or new reproduction Mike?
david

Troy Audio.

never heard them before, but....Wow!

not cheap, but super smooth and extended top end.......quite the sophisticated sound. and really enjoyed talking to designer Francisco Jileta and his son Javier. this is a brand, built in Mexico, that I will be rooting for.

View attachment 35682
View attachment 35683

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Martin Logan room 1107

the news was the big bad Stromtank battery power and the new D'Ag line of electronics.

sounded just fine. not a big ML fan but these seemed more seamless in the bottom octaves than most ML past experiences.

View attachment 35689
View attachment 35690
View attachment 35691

Martin Logans usually sound bad at a show, and with SS. They can sound thin, lean in the mudbass, even anemic and sometimes a bit plastic. All these qualities disappear when good valves are matched with them, and density is added to the panel. Also they have a narrow sweet spot. At the most the power amp should be the only SS there, though AR 250s seem to be driving these pretty well and Roy Gregory used the Berning quads on his.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Martin Logans usually sound bad at a show, and with SS. They can sound thin, lean in the mudbass, even anemic and sometimes a bit plastic. All these qualities disappear when good valves are matched with them, and density is added to the panel. Also they have a narrow sweet spot. At the most the power amp should be the only SS there, though AR 250s seem to be driving these pretty well and Roy Gregory used the Berning quads on his.

Absolutely..

BMCG

VIP/Donor
Oct 1, 2016
United Kingdom
Mike - without wishing to impose be most curious to hear your thoughts on the Avalon/Spectral room...should your wanderings take you in that direction.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing