Strange Problem With Studer A810

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
I have a Studer A810 with an unusual problem. When cold the capstan motor stalls. I've cleaned and lubricated it (newest version capstan motor w/large bottom clip, Studer PDP65 synthetic capstan oil) thinking there may be too much resistance when cold. The capstan seems to move freely, but when it's off and cools the capstan won't start without a slight push. Once it starts the PLL will light and stay lit for all four speeds. I've run a 10.5" reel at all speeds while monitoring and didn't notice any stalls or stops. Since the PLL is working correctly, I don't plan to make any L1 or L3 adjustments to avoid losing the PLL because of deteriorated cores. I've read the post about replacing the three electrolytic caps, but see it's related to PLL which works fine. Any ideas?

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
replaced the motor caps?

I have not replaced anything at this point. I tested all day yesterday by leaving it powered off for several hours, then turning it on by moving the left sensor up one click to activate the capstan motor. It came up every time. I left it off overnight to ensure it was "cold" then tried it again this morning. I'm thinking that after I had cleaned and re-oiled it that possibly the oil hadn't made it completely into the sintered bearing. I'm going to "top it off" with another drop today to ensure the previous oil hadn't been absorbed by the bearing and perform a few more tests to see if it starts consistently. Thanks for the response. Two heads are better than one.

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
whether you have problems or not you should recap the mb , all boards and the psu and the motor caps
also the rifa 0,47µF X2 caps that tend to crack and cause havoc!
just done it to mine together with serious mods
just rewiring left
best
Leif

kfalls

Jun 24, 2015
Sounds more than reasonable. This is not a personal machine. We have several we use for archiving. When demand slows I'll pull it for refurb and reference this post. Right now I'm hoping to put it back to catch up on production. I really appreciate the help I get from this site. I've never receive bad info. Thanks again for the help.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing