Thread: Strange Problem With Studer A810

Strange Problem With Studer A810

I have a Studer A810 with an unusual problem. When cold the capstan motor stalls. I've cleaned and lubricated it (newest version capstan motor w/large bottom clip, Studer PDP65 synthetic capstan oil) thinking there may be too much resistance when cold. The capstan seems to move freely, but when it's off and cools the capstan won't start without a slight push. Once it starts the PLL will light and stay lit for all four speeds. I've run a 10.5" reel at all speeds while monitoring and didn't notice any stalls or stops. Since the PLL is working correctly, I don't plan to make any L1 or L3 adjustments to avoid losing the PLL because of deteriorated cores. I've read the post about replacing the three electrolytic caps, but see it's related to PLL which works fine. Any ideas?

Addicted to Best! christensenleif@msn.com's Avatar
    replaced the motor caps?

Quote Originally Posted by christensenleif@msn.com View Post
    replaced the motor caps?
    I have not replaced anything at this point. I tested all day yesterday by leaving it powered off for several hours, then turning it on by moving the left sensor up one click to activate the capstan motor. It came up every time. I left it off overnight to ensure it was "cold" then tried it again this morning. I'm thinking that after I had cleaned and re-oiled it that possibly the oil hadn't made it completely into the sintered bearing. I'm going to "top it off" with another drop today to ensure the previous oil hadn't been absorbed by the bearing and perform a few more tests to see if it starts consistently. Thanks for the response. Two heads are better than one.

Addicted to Best! christensenleif@msn.com's Avatar
    whether you have problems or not you should recap the mb , all boards and the psu and the motor caps
    also the rifa 0,47F X2 caps that tend to crack and cause havoc!
    just done it to mine together with serious mods
    just rewiring left
    best
    Leif

Sounds more than reasonable. This is not a personal machine. We have several we use for archiving. When demand slows I'll pull it for refurb and reference this post. Right now I'm hoping to put it back to catch up on production. I really appreciate the help I get from this site. I've never receive bad info. Thanks again for the help.