Phono cables with SUT

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hey analog guys - I would like some cabling help.

Do you run phono cables from TT to SUT as well as SUT to phono stage? (ie. both sides of SUT)

I have a ground cable from my TT (Brinkmann Bardo) that runs directly to the SUT already.

KeithR

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Well, that would depend on how your tonearm wiring it setup and your SUT is outboard or inboard. Do you have captured wires, a terminal block or a DIN or similar connector that would accommodate a dedicated phono cable. I have each type an I only have the grounding wire from the tonearm to the SUT with a shielded RCA cable coming out of the SUT into phono stage or a shielded RCA from terminal block to phono stage with internal SUT.

Hey analog guys - I would like some cabling help.

Do you run phono cables from TT to SUT as well as SUT to phono stage? (ie. both sides of SUT)

I have a ground cable from my TT (Brinkmann Bardo) that runs directly to the SUT already.

KeithR

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
My Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm passes through the turntable using a DIN connector - and then my Brinkmann TT has RCA female outs and a ground wire from the TT.

I have a Bob's SUT that is outboard.

Last edited:

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Depending on your desire to experiment you might be able to get away with an unshielded IC depending on your routing and location. grounding from TT is generally good enough, although you may also want to look at the grounding boxes that are available now if you really want to experiment.

My Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm connects directly to the turntable using a built in connector - and then my Brinkmann TT has RCA female outs and a ground wire from the TT.

I have a Bob's SUT that is outboard.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
What is the issue you are having
Just basic wiring or grounding or hum

Might help narrow down an effective answer for you :)

Altanpsx

Sep 10, 2014
I never experienced a difference between, connecting tonearm ground to sut or turntable or anyother grounding. If you experience hum, most probably you should have to change sut to phono stage rca. I highly recommend Ansuz cables, they are clear winner between many(nordost odin, transparent (ref, opus), aq sky, audience, acoustic revive, stage3....). Second most effective thing you may do to change your sut place. Hold and try where cables allow you to place it(vertical and horizontal).

Hum is a very annoying issue, you must try many things if these two do not solve your problem.

If you do not have any hum problem and just asking for curiosity , i use nordost odin tonearm cable(ground connected to sut), and sut to tt ansuz c(i tried d but did not like it). My dealer shocked that i did not like the d series, which is one level up from C, he arrange a full ansuz dtc demo in my stystem. Which was a shocking experience. I did not aware my system can perform like that(if definion need for a dark backgorund, that was it). Huge investment without a doubt, is it worth it, yes. Did I pull the trigger ? No at that time. But who knows :)

mulveling

Jul 6, 2017
I did a lot of experimentation with my various AQ cables (most of which were standard RCA ICs) between a Bob's Devices 1131 SUT and phono stage (Rogue Ares Magnum), all RCA-to-RCA. The phono cable from table to SUT was an AQ Wild LP. The SUT cables tried:
  • 0.5m Colorado
  • 0.5m Niagara
  • 1m Sky
  • 1m Fire
  • 0.5m WEL Signature LP (phono cable custom made with RCA and grounding spade on both ends)

This slot was VERY sensitive to changes in cables. All differences, heard between these cables in normal interconnect slots, were significantly amplified here -- especially with the 1m lengths. The 1m Sky and Fire's sonic signatures each became far too apparent (Sky turns a bit to mud, especially in midbass, and the Fire becomes too forward, fast, and aggressive) -- whereas in other slots I find the 1m Sky to be very good, and the 1m Fire to be quite excellent.

The 0.5m Colorado did decent, though it always suffers a lack of detail relative to silver cables up the line. The 0.5m Niagara did great, and was easily the best contender amongst these cables for price/performance in this slot -- it had a very nice touch of natural warmth, and an even overall frequency response, with good detail.

The custom WEL LP phono cable was sent to me by AQ in lieu of the custom Wild LP I ordered, since they were temporarily out of parts for the latter! It improved dynamics, punch, and imaging over the 0.5m Niagara while retaining the excellent natural sound. Strangely, I've also tried another WEL LP from my TT, and preferred the old Wild LP there -- maybe it has to do with differences in wire gauge being optimal for one slot vs. another -- the WEL LP has audibly much more "air tube" rattle than Wild LP.

I'd guess that capacitance is the enemy in this SUT => phono stage slot, and so smaller gauge wire (typical of most phono cables) and shorter lengths is key. Also, I found that the extra grounding wire is not really necessary -- grounding from the TT's cable to SUT should be good enough. That said, I ended up typing the WEL LP's grounding spade to the phono stage, leaving the SUT end's spade unconnected -- and this made a very slight difference for some reason.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
What is the issue you are having
Just basic wiring or grounding or hum

Might help narrow down an effective answer for you :)

Do I need 2 phono cables or just 1, since I already have a ground from TT to SUT. I am going to use a phono cable from SUT to Phono Stage as both have grounds

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'd guess that capacitance is the enemy in this SUT => phono stage slot, and so smaller gauge wire (typical of most phono cables) and shorter lengths is key. Also, I found that the extra grounding wire is not really necessary -- grounding from the TT's cable to SUT should be good enough. That said, I ended up typing the WEL LP's grounding spade to the phono stage, leaving the SUT end's spade unconnected -- and this made a very slight difference for some reason.

Thank you - this confirms my plan to use phono cable from SUT to phono stage.

byrdparis

Nov 24, 2015
Israel
some pointers from a previous Bardo owner.

first - you can ditch the RCA box, its clouding the presentation, too much connectors in the way.
a din to rca phono cable from the Brinkman 10.5 to the SUT without going thru the adaptors cable and the RCA switching box are far better to get a better sound.

second - yes! use two phono cables, also from the SUT to your phono preamp. phono cables are builded with care for grounding and shielding and it will be better for
eliminate noises and hums that can surface.

try and switch how the grounding will route, a star - all grounding wire connecting to a single post or (as i preform usually) in a line... every piece are connect to his forward one.
table (phono cable wire) - sut - phono = in line
try to disconnect the table own wire with the special post underneath and use the phono cable wire and vise a versa, try to hear if you got some changes...

another thing i was dealing with when i was a Brinakman user; is the Bardo (and after with the Balance) SS power supply - he was humming (buzzing inside) for itself!
i was contact Helmut back then and he told me to try and "play" a little with the four screws underneath where the legs are and try to un tight them a bit to let the trans inside to loose a bit from the enclosure. it did help a bit with putting it on a slab of slate and some dumping material but not with a 100% success.

GOOD LUCK!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing