Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Phono cables with SUT

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!

Phono cables with SUT

Hey analog guys - I would like some cabling help.

Do you run phono cables from TT to SUT as well as SUT to phono stage? (ie. both sides of SUT)

I have a ground cable from my TT (Brinkmann Bardo) that runs directly to the SUT already.

KeithR

Addicted to Best!
    Well, that would depend on how your tonearm wiring it setup and your SUT is outboard or inboard. Do you have captured wires, a terminal block or a DIN or similar connector that would accommodate a dedicated phono cable. I have each type an I only have the grounding wire from the tonearm to the SUT with a shielded RCA cable coming out of the SUT into phono stage or a shielded RCA from terminal block to phono stage with internal SUT.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    Hey analog guys - I would like some cabling help.

Do you run phono cables from TT to SUT as well as SUT to phono stage? (ie. both sides of SUT)

I have a ground cable from my TT (Brinkmann Bardo) that runs directly to the SUT already.

KeithR

My Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm passes through the turntable using a DIN connector - and then my Brinkmann TT has RCA female outs and a ground wire from the TT.

I have a Bob's SUT that is outboard.
    Last edited by KeithR; 10-04-2017 at 08:49 AM.

Addicted to Best!
    Depending on your desire to experiment you might be able to get away with an unshielded IC depending on your routing and location. grounding from TT is generally good enough, although you may also want to look at the grounding boxes that are available now if you really want to experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithR View Post
    My Brinkmann 10.5 tonearm connects directly to the turntable using a built in connector - and then my Brinkmann TT has RCA female outs and a ground wire from the TT.

I have a Bob's SUT that is outboard.

What is the issue you are having
    Just basic wiring or grounding or hum

Might help narrow down an effective answer for you
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Something like this...rca pair with ground wire...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zu-Audio-MIS...J9CeZ1t7qPtSUg
    Christian

System Gear

I never experienced a difference between, connecting tonearm ground to sut or turntable or anyother grounding. If you experience hum, most probably you should have to change sut to phono stage rca. I highly recommend Ansuz cables, they are clear winner between many(nordost odin, transparent (ref, opus), aq sky, audience, acoustic revive, stage3....). Second most effective thing you may do to change your sut place. Hold and try where cables allow you to place it(vertical and horizontal).

Hum is a very annoying issue, you must try many things if these two do not solve your problem.

If you do not have any hum problem and just asking for curiosity , i use nordost odin tonearm cable(ground connected to sut), and sut to tt ansuz c(i tried d but did not like it). My dealer shocked that i did not like the d series, which is one level up from C, he arrange a full ansuz dtc demo in my stystem. Which was a shocking experience. I did not aware my system can perform like that(if definion need for a dark backgorund, that was it). Huge investment without a doubt, is it worth it, yes. Did I pull the trigger ? No at that time. But who knows
    Speaker : Raidho D-3.1 Electronics: Ypsilon VPS-100 Phono, PST-100 Pre , Aelius Mkii Power Source : Techdas Air Force 2 Cables : Ansuz Ceramic Line; Stage 3 concepts

I did a lot of experimentation with my various AQ cables (most of which were standard RCA ICs) between a Bob's Devices 1131 SUT and phono stage (Rogue Ares Magnum), all RCA-to-RCA. The phono cable from table to SUT was an AQ Wild LP. The SUT cables tried:
    • 0.5m Colorado
    • 0.5m Niagara
    • 1m Sky
    • 1m Fire
    • 0.5m WEL Signature LP (phono cable custom made with RCA and grounding spade on both ends)

This slot was VERY sensitive to changes in cables. All differences, heard between these cables in normal interconnect slots, were significantly amplified here -- especially with the 1m lengths. The 1m Sky and Fire's sonic signatures each became far too apparent (Sky turns a bit to mud, especially in midbass, and the Fire becomes too forward, fast, and aggressive) -- whereas in other slots I find the 1m Sky to be very good, and the 1m Fire to be quite excellent.

The 0.5m Colorado did decent, though it always suffers a lack of detail relative to silver cables up the line. The 0.5m Niagara did great, and was easily the best contender amongst these cables for price/performance in this slot -- it had a very nice touch of natural warmth, and an even overall frequency response, with good detail.

The custom WEL LP phono cable was sent to me by AQ in lieu of the custom Wild LP I ordered, since they were temporarily out of parts for the latter! It improved dynamics, punch, and imaging over the 0.5m Niagara while retaining the excellent natural sound. Strangely, I've also tried another WEL LP from my TT, and preferred the old Wild LP there -- maybe it has to do with differences in wire gauge being optimal for one slot vs. another -- the WEL LP has audibly much more "air tube" rattle than Wild LP.

I'd guess that capacitance is the enemy in this SUT => phono stage slot, and so smaller gauge wire (typical of most phono cables) and shorter lengths is key. Also, I found that the extra grounding wire is not really necessary -- grounding from the TT's cable to SUT should be good enough. That said, I ended up typing the WEL LP's grounding spade to the phono stage, leaving the SUT end's spade unconnected -- and this made a very slight difference for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by awsmone View Post
    What is the issue you are having
    Just basic wiring or grounding or hum

Might help narrow down an effective answer for you
    Do I need 2 phono cables or just 1, since I already have a ground from TT to SUT. I am going to use a phono cable from SUT to Phono Stage as both have grounds

Quote Originally Posted by mulveling View Post
    I'd guess that capacitance is the enemy in this SUT => phono stage slot, and so smaller gauge wire (typical of most phono cables) and shorter lengths is key. Also, I found that the extra grounding wire is not really necessary -- grounding from the TT's cable to SUT should be good enough. That said, I ended up typing the WEL LP's grounding spade to the phono stage, leaving the SUT end's spade unconnected -- and this made a very slight difference for some reason.
    Thank you - this confirms my plan to use phono cable from SUT to phono stage.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast